Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Matsuzaka's Pitches

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Matsuzaka's Pitches
Westbay-san,

I can't find it now, but I recall mention in another thread of a book that lists the various pitching repetoire of many NPB pitchers. Do you have this book? Do you know what Matsuzaka Daisuke's repetoire is?
Comments
Re: Matsuzaka's Pitches
[ Author: Guest: Daniel Johnson | Posted: Jun 11, 2004 2:57 AM ]

One book that contains this information is "2004 Japanese Professional Baseball Statistics" (English translation of title). It's published by Data Stadium Inc., and the ISBN is 4757718276. The book has 287 pages and costs 2,000 yen. Actually, it contains a tremendous number of statistical breakdowns, not just the information you requested. For example, for pitchers it not only lists their types of pitches, it shows what percentage of the time each pitch is thrown, and breaks this down further into pitches made to left- and right-handed batters! The book is all in Japanese, but I'm sure this won't pose a problem for you, CFiJ, or many other readers of this web site.
[ Author: Guest: Daniel Johnson | Posted: Jun 11, 2004 3:34 AM ]

Matsuzaka's pitches during the 2003 season were:
    Left handed/Right handed batter breakdown
    Fastball -- 48%/51%
    Curveball -- 2%/3%
    Slider -- 13%/28%
    Split-fingered fastball -- 20%/16%
    Forkball -- 1%/0%
    Changeup -- 16%/2%
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jun 12, 2004 11:36 AM ]

Matsuzaka will mainly throw fastballs (usually 91-93 mph, but maxes out at 95-96 mph), cutters, and his slider. He recently brought his forkball out in a game a few weeks ago, but he usually only does that when his slider is kaput.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.