Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese vs. U.S. Teams?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese vs. U.S. Teams?
Is there a site I can go to that would have the results and records of all the past series that were once played involving Japanese teams against touring Major League All-Star teams? Does this annual series still exist?

Thanks in advance.
Dave Mendonca
Eugene, OR
Comments
Re: Japanese vs. U.S. Teams?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 23, 2008 9:05 AM | YBS Fan ]

MLB.com used to have a pretty large section dedicated to the bi-annual Nichi-Bei Series (as it's called here). The 2006 Series index is here. Substituting "y2004" in the URL to get the 2004 Series works. I don't know how far it goes back, and I was unable to find the top page for the Nichi-Bei section. Others more familiar with MLB.com may do better.

As for the continuation of the Nichi-Bei Series, that has been suspended with the advent of the World Baseball Classic. So don't expect a 2008 Nichi-Bei Series in November this year.

(I wouldn't rule out the return of the Series in the future. But as it stands right now, the Nichi-Bei Series is done.)
Re: Japanese vs. U.S. Teams?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jan 23, 2008 11:31 AM | SFT Fan ]

- I don't know how far it goes back, and I was unable to find the top page for the Nichi-Bei section. Others more familiar with MLB.com may do better.

It only goes back to 2002, as that was when the MLB website display was changed. You can find the 2002 Series index page here [MLB.com].

The reason that there is no longer a top page for the Nichi-Bei Series is because it was a casualty of the new MLB.com design, if there was even a top page to start out with. Looking through the Wayback Machine, it looks like, for example, the 1998 Series info is gone.

I've managed to find box scores for the 2000 Series over at the NPB website. Also this page [in Japanese] seems to have some roster and game info.

I know there's data out there somewhere of these games, and I wish I could find more in-depth data, but I'm afraid that that's all I can come up with at the moment.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.