Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

1936 NPB players

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
1936 NPB players
Using the 2004 edition of the Japanese-language Official Baseball Encyclopedia, I have been trying to compile the rosters of the teams in the first pro ball season in Japan, 1936.

The list of batters for that season (which includes some but not all pitchers, totals 59 names. Nineteen pitchers are also listed.

Now, once I rendered all names into Romaji, I have been listing the players by team. After completing the transfer of the top two teams, it has become obvious that not all players from all teams are listed. For example, there is no second baseman for the Kyojin.

I am pasting below those what I have from the two lists. I would very much appreciate help in filling out those two rosters. I could certainly go through the Encyclopedia and eventually find them all, but that's a massive undertaking.

Please e-mail me any additions to: belinyoh@charter.net

Thanks. Gene.

1936 Kyojin:

Kiyomitsu HAYASHI, outfield (O)
Hachiro MAEKAWA, O/P
Haruyasu NAKAJIMA, O
Shigeru MIZUHARA, 3rd
Taksehi NAKAYAMA, P
Osamu TSUTSUI, 2/1/3/S
Katsumi SHIRAISHI, S/3
Kentaro ITOH, O

Following player was not listed among the batters, but among pitchers only:

Eiji SAWAMURA, P

1936 Tigers:

Isamu FUJII, O/1
Toshiyasu OGAWA, C
Toshio HIRAMASU, O
Toshio KOJIMA, 2nd
Masaru KAGEURA, 3/O/P
Masanobu YAMAGUCHI, O
Kenjiro MATSUKI, 1st
Muneyoshi OKADA, S/2
Jungo IGAUE, 3/S/2

Following players found only in the pitchers list:

Fumio FUJIMURA, P
Takao MISONO, P/O/2
Tadashi WAKABAYASHI, P
Comments
Re: 1936 NPB players
[ Author: Guest: John | Posted: Jan 27, 2008 10:00 PM ]

You can find these stats in English at the Japan Baseball Daily Warehouse.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 27, 2008 10:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

As nice as Garland-san's Data Warehouse is, it doesn't make this particular task that much easier. First you need to know who to look for (as you can't query for just the 1936 players). Then you have to hope that the players in question didn't play multiple positions in different years, as position played isn't broken down by year.

Here's my suggestion on how to go about tracking down the minimum number of players to look up.
  1. Go to the yearly "Back Number" page for the Giants and take note of the players in 1936 (Showa 11).

2. In the batting section of the Encylopedia, look up each player's primary position.

3. Enter all necessary data for the 1936 Giants for each position.

4. Repeat for the 1936 Tigers.
It's not a ready made solution, but should help focus your efforts on tracking down the 20+ players from each team that you need.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Guest: Michael Eng | Posted: Jan 31, 2008 1:31 AM ]

Here is a Google Spreadsheet with the stats of all NPB players in 1936, including fielding errors and games played by position. Note that "Franchise" represents the associated franchiseID; the 1936 team names are listed below:

Senators >> Tokyo Senators
Giants >> Tokyo Kyojin
Dragons >> Nagoya
Robins >> Dai-Tokyo
Buffaloes >> Hankyu
Kinko >> Nagoya Kinko
Tigers >> Osaka Tigers

Hopefully this was what you were looking for.

Michael Eng
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.