Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2005 Tryouts?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
2005 Tryouts?
Do the Japanese pro baseball teams have open tryouts? If so, Do you know how I can get dates?

Are there 18 and up baseball leagues in the area surrounding Tokyo?
Comments
Re: 2005 Tryouts?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 12, 2004 8:31 AM | YBS Fan ]

There was an announcement of tryouts recently, but now I can't find it. The general process it to submit your personal data (name, birth date, place of birth, height (in cm), weight (in kg), educational history, baseball history) on a post card to the team holding the tryouts.

But, as explained in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), you really should get an agent familiar with Japan to handle setting things up for you. It's very difficult to do things on your own in Japan. The saying, "it's not what you know but who you know" describes things pretty well.

As for 18 and up baseball leagues in the Tokyo area, I'm sure there are many - mostly nanshiki (a rubber ball). Most of these teams are company employees who play on weekends. There are no other professional leagues. The minor leagues are all tied to the top teams in Japan.

The Industrial Leagues can be considered semi-professional, with the ball players mainly playing baseball and doing some office work on the side. Search for "Industrial League" in the search feature for more information.
Re: 2005 Tryouts?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 12, 2004 8:33 AM ]

- Do the Japanese pro baseball teams have open tryouts?

Yes, the Japanese teams have open tryouts. The best way to find out is to contact the team, though I think there's little luck in trying out for a NPB team if you haven't had some kind of professional baseball experience in the minors or independent leagues. You might also want to read the "How do I play in Japan?" page at Japan Baseball Daily.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.