Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

A World Series?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
A World Series?
I am new to the Nippon league, so I am not sure about the length of their season.

However, I was thinking that at the end of the Japanese baseball season and the MLB season the MLB World Series winner and the Japanese league winner should meet in a short season to see who can come out on top.

Have them meet in Honolulu, or alternate countries every other year.

Jon Z.
Comments
Re: A World Series?
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:56 AM | NIP Fan ]

I'm guessing other people will reply this too, but this idea's been suggested a bunch of times -- even by people as high up as Bobby Valentine challenging the White Sox to a series after his Chiba Lotte Marines won the Japan Series in 2005. It just doesn't happen, for various reasons (although this year the reason is probably mostly that the Japan Series is slated to go on until mid-November thanks to the Olympics).

They do have an Asia Series each year now, where the championship Japan team plays against the Korea and Taiwan champions and an all-star China team. It's been getting more interesting each time, what with the high expectation for Japan to win, and with the other countries' teams getting better and better.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Mar 27, 2008 11:33 AM | HAN Fan ]

Deanna is correct. I was suggesting this concept at least since 1988 and possibly earlier. In 1997, I even went to Aloha Stadium to check out its viability as a site.

The bottom line is MLB wants their "product's" image to appear unmatchable. Until MLB sees any outweighing benefit we will not see such a series.

It would be great to see the Asia Series champ play the MLB champ, but....
[ Author: Guest: Matches | Posted: Mar 28, 2008 5:10 AM ]

It is also probable that the MLBPA would want no part of extending the season an extra 10 or so days for their champion team.

You are right, the MLB has virtually nothing to gain by playing such a series and a whole lot to lose.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.