Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Identifying Photo?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Identifying Photo?
Hi,

I've got a photo that was taken at the Tokyo US State Dept. in 1974, when the Mets visited Japan. The photo is of Oh, Nagashima, and a US player who I cannot identify. I've got a program from the Mets' visit, but can't match him up with anyone in the book.

Is there anyone who can help me ID this guy?

Thanks,

Rob

[Inserted image on Dec 4, 2004 12:24 AM JST]
Comments
Re: Identifying Photo?
[ Author: Guest: Joe | Posted: Apr 13, 2005 1:05 AM ]

Although I'm not sure, but I guess it is Warren Cromartie.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 13, 2005 8:38 AM ]

- but I guess it is Warren Cromartie

I don't think it is. Cromartie wasn't even in the majors for the most part of 1974. Meanwhile, Cromarite never even played for the Mets. Cromarite played for the Expos and the Royals. [Link - Baseball Reference]
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Apr 26, 2005 5:18 AM ]

My guess is that it may be John "The Hammer" Milner, but can't be sure. I could only find one baseball card of him. [eBay Photo]
[ Author: Guest: Dan Johnson | Posted: Apr 14, 2005 3:27 AM ]

Hi Rob,

I believe the player is Don Buford, who wasn't on the New York Mets' roster in 1974, but was playing Japanese professional baseball at the time.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Apr 21, 2005 3:17 AM | HAN Fan ]

My friend, Jeff Alcon, checked a Mets website that had photos of every Met in history and concluded that this player was not a Met.

Dan Johnson is probably on the right track - that the player could be from another team playing in Japan.

However, this person does not resemble Don Buford. The player in the photo is as tall as Nagashima and taller than Oh. Sadaharu Oh was 5'11" and Don Buford was 5'8".
[ Author: Guest: Dan Johnson | Posted: Apr 22, 2005 6:53 AM ]

You're right, Kiyoshi. The player in the photo resembles Buford in a long-distance shot I saw of him on the Internet. However, after looking at several close-up shots of Buford from his playing days in North America and Japan, I realize that the player in the photo definitely isn't him. I've just moved from Kansas City back to the San Francisco area, and my stuff is still in storage. Once I have access to my books and magazines, I'll try again to identify the player. Of course, someone else might provide the correct identity before then. I apologize for the mistake.
[ Author: Guest: rob | Posted: Apr 22, 2005 5:37 AM ]

Thanks for all of the responses. Does anyone have a list of the gaijin players who were in Japan in 1974?

Thanks,

Rob
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Apr 22, 2005 8:41 AM | HAN Fan ]

One side note is that the Mets' owner had difficulty fielding a complete team because many of the Mets did not want to go to Japan.

Another possibility is that this person may not be a player but a guest at the reception.
[ Author: Guest: jun | Posted: Apr 24, 2005 1:43 AM ]

Here it is. But I don't know whether the guy is in this list.

Foreign Players in 1974:
Matty Alou - Taiheiyo-Club Lions
George Altman - Lotte Orions
Gene Ammann - Hankyu Braves
Rick Austin - Hankyu Braves
Cletis Boyer - Taiyo Whales
Don Buford - Taiheiyo-Club Lions
Jim Hicks - Hiroshima Toyo Carp
Frank Howard - Taiheiyo-Club Lions
Clarence Jones - Kintetsu Buffaloes
Mike Kekich - Nippon Ham Fighters
James Lefebore - Lotte Orions
Terry Ley - Nippon Ham Fighters
Ron Lolich - Nankai Hawks
Thomas Martin - Chunichi Dragons
Mickey McGuire - Hiroshima Toyo Carp
Wes Parker - Nankai Hawks
Roger Repoz - Yakult Swallows
John Sipin - Taiyo Whales
Lawrence Snow - Nippon Ham Fighters
Bobby Taylor - Hanshin Tigers
Jimmy Williams - Chunichi Dragons
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Apr 28, 2005 2:25 AM ]

I sent the link off to the Mets. Maybe I'll get a response. I thought it might be John "The Hammer" Milner, but it's a guess. Definately not Bufors. Buford had a very angular nose.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Apr 29, 2005 3:19 AM ]

Could that be Cleon Jones?
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: May 1, 2005 10:14 AM ]

I guess you ask for help, then you don't reply. I previously stated that I think it's Cleon Jones. What do you think?
[ Author: Guest: Rob | Posted: May 2, 2005 10:44 PM ]

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the responses! I've tried to compare the picture to those of Milner, Jones, and Buford. But I don't think that this guy has their features.

I appreciate all of the efforts!

Thanks,
Rob
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.