Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

SoftBank Inter-league Champions?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
SoftBank Inter-league Champions?
So is it really true that the tiebreaker for the inter-league title went to SoftBank because they had a better record last year than the Tigers? Even though the Tigers beat them head to head 3-1 in inter-league this year?
Comments
Re: SoftBank Inter-league Champions?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 23, 2008 11:07 PM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, that is how it works. You can read more about it in Jim Allen's column on the subject.

It is interesting that the Pacific League has won inter-league all four years so far.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 23, 2008 11:23 PM ]

Amazing. I saw SoftBank listed above Hanshin and couldn't for the life of me figure out why. Maybe it's a contest between MLB and NPB to see who can have the most ridiculous rule - winning team in the All-Star Game gets home field advantage in the World Series or team with a better record the year before wins inter-league tiebreaker. I'm trying to figure out which is worse. Hmmm...
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 23, 2008 11:35 PM ]

In related news, Bud Selig has just announced that if the Red Sox and Yankees tie for first this year, the tiebreaker goes to the Yankees because Babe Ruth hit more home runs than Jim Rice.

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic!" Sorry, just had to vent some more about this!
[ Author: Guest: Hanshinagi | Posted: Jun 24, 2008 6:17 AM ]

That is just bull. That does not make any sense. I am sorry, I love my Tigers and the Hawks should not have won this award if they lost to the tigers 3-1 in head to head in the series. The Hawks are a good team, but that is not fair for them to have won the award. At least split it if they have tied another team.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 24, 2008 8:27 AM | HAN Fan ]

Nitkowski mentions he thought the method of awarding the title "silly" in his blog. A very interesting read.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Jun 24, 2008 10:31 AM ]

Wow, not too many illogical things surprise me in NPB, but not having head to head record as one of the first tie breakers is a total surprise. Bizarre.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 4:24 AM | SFT Fan ]

Here's the thing, for you Tigers fans who say head-to-head record should be the tiebreaker, let's say that the head-to-head record was identical? Then what?

Of course, if that was the case I think that the next tiebreaker would then be runs scored or runs against, something like that. I was kind of surprised myself that the Hawks won inter-league, considering how terrible they were early in the season. I'm not complaining, though!
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 9:28 AM | HAN Fan ]

As I mentioned in my blog, I favour the defensive/offensive average for the current inter-league season. More relevant and less chance of a tie.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 3:02 PM ]

Yeah, with each team meeting 4 times, there is a high likelihood of a tie. But I still think deciding on last year's record is illogical. It's not sour grapes - I would feel that even if the Tigers had won.

Again, the title is meaningless anyway and hopefully the Tigers can win the real title this year!
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 3:44 PM ]

That's why you have multiple tie-breaker conditions, so there shouldn't be any issues that ties are possible with the first tie-breaker being head to head record. Then maybe head to head run differential might be good, but some other runs metric could be just as good. Using last year's record as one of the first tie-breakers is just very, very strange.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.