Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin Curse Confirmation

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Hanshin Curse Confirmation
Whenever you read stories about the supposed curse that the Tigers have because of fans throwing the statue into the river in '85, many people say it was Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken. However, I have also read accounts that it was not actually Colonel Sanders but a local imitation fried chicken chain. Can someone confirm who or what was really thrown into the river?
Comments
Re: Hanshin Curse Confirmation
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 3:51 PM ]

I've never read or heard about it being an imitation restaurant. What accounts I've read usually refer to the KFC Dotonbori store's Colonel Sanders being douage'd then thrown into the river. Then again, it's so long in the past that this could very well be an urban myth.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 5:27 PM ]

I can't remember where I read that it wasn't actually Colonel Sanders, but with 99% of the stories saying it was Colonel Sanders, we may never know the truth. Until he is actually recovered that is!
[ Author: Guest: Number 26 | Posted: Jun 28, 2008 5:05 PM ]

Did the imitation chain have a mascot resembling Colonel Sanders? Or Bass for that matter? The reason why Colonel Sanders was chosen was because of his beard which resembled Randy Bass' beard.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 28, 2008 11:13 PM ]

Yeah, I had read that the imitation chain indeed had a mascot that resembled Colonel Sanders. So, basically, they chose someone who resembled Colonel Sanders who resembled Randy Bass!

Anyway, all Internet sources I have read mention Colonel Sanders, but I still swear that I read somewhere a while back that it was actually an imitation chain. Christopher, any insight on this?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 29, 2008 3:43 PM | HAN Fan ]

I haven't heard this rumour before. I understood it was the Dotonbori shop's Colonel Saunders which went into the river. My Tigers friends didn't mention anything different either. I also recall that in 2003 the Colonel Saunders statues throughout Osaka were all locked inside the stores (this also happened in 2005) to prevent a repitition, suggesting that the story is genuine.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jul 2, 2008 11:50 PM | HT Fan ]

I've asked a couple of Tiger veterans this question in the past few days and all I'm getting are blank stares. Nobody I've spoken to has heard the rumor about the imitation store and nobody can ever recall such a store being down there at Dotonbori anyway. As Christopher says, all the statues were locked away in 2003 and 2005 (but I suppose that doesn't prove anything because even if the legend is untrue, the fans believe it to be true, and they'd react accordingly). But the KFC legend is fairly well established in Tiger-lore, so unless there's evidence to the contrary I'm going to continue to believe it!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.