Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hayato Terahara

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Hayato Terahara
I've heard a lot of good things about Hayato Terahara, the teenage phenom. Can you tell me what exactly his status is in terms of where he'll play next year, in Japan or the US? If in the US, what major league club is closest to signing him? Thanks.
Alex Chatham
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Comments
Re: Hayato Terahara
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 23, 2001 4:46 PM | YBS Fan ]

It's funny, but I haven't heard a word about the possibility of any team other than a Japanese one drafting the young phenom. And with the changes in the draft this season, that poses a big risk for the 7 teams who have Terahara listed for number one.

Up until this year, teams could guarantee themselves at least one quality player from the industrial or university leagues in their first two draft picks with the gyaku-shimei ("reversed designation") system. Under it, a player would state what team he would be drafted by, and said team would have to draft him within the first two draft rounds. This allowed teams to go after high school players in their first round and still have a guarantee for a more mature player in the second.

However, this year, if a team waves the right to gyakyu-shimei player in the first round, they may not do so in the second round either. For popular teams like the Giants, Dragons, and Hawks, this becomes a point on which to give serious consideration. For, even if they don't draw Terahara in the drawing, they still don't get to gyaku-shimei an alternate in the first round either.

As stated above, 7 teams currently have Terahara slated as their number one pick: the Giants, BayStars, and Tigers in the Central League and Lions, Hawks, Fighters, and Marines in the Pacific League. While the Blue Wave and Buffaloes are pursuing more mature first round picks, all of the Pacific League teams are united in seeing Terahara come to and becoming the face of the Pacific League.

Really, I'm not trying to avoid the question. But the sources I read all focus on Terahara being drafted in November and don't seem to even consider an alternate posibility.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 23, 2001 11:33 PM ]

The reason I asked is because I have read that several major league teams (Mariners, Dodgers, Mets, Phillies, Braves among teams in the article) were scouting him. And the Mets were identified as the team most likely to make a push to sign him. Despite any efforts by ML teams, I would think that it would be tough on a Japanese teenager to come to the states.

Supposedly he is a Bartolo Colon type of pitcher with thick legs and an athletic build (despite being 5'10"). I read he threw the fastest pitch ever recorded in japan "98mph" and has a wicked curveball.
Re: 98 MPH
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 24, 2001 12:53 PM | YBS Fan ]

I hadn't read that he threw that fast, but rather that he does throw around 154 kph (96 mph) with some consistancy.

I'm sure there are quite a few lurkers out there who, like you, know more about Terahara than I but are just too shy to say anything.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Sep 26, 2001 4:38 AM | HT Fan ]

For the curious, Baseball American discussed Terahara in their August 2001 Q&A section.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 30, 2001 1:40 AM ]

When is the Japanese Baseball draft, and has anyone heard if any MLB teams have offered Terahara money?
Japan Draft
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 30, 2001 9:57 AM | YBS Fan ]

The draft is some time between mid to the end of November. I don't have the date in front of me right now.

That's the next biggest Yakyu event after the Nihon Series, so I'll post more information on the draft then.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.