Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Origin of G.G.?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Origin of G.G.?
Not sure if this has been answered here before, but I was just curious while watching the Olympics. With the name Sato Tadahiko, how did he get the nickname G.G.?
Comments
Re: Origin of G.G.?
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Aug 17, 2008 1:02 AM | YOK Fan ]

I believe there were 2 players named Sato playing for the Lions at one point and since he was the older of the 2, they nick named him "G.G." (with jiji meaning "old man" in Japanese, of course).

At least that's how I heard it. If I'm wrong about this, someone please fell free to correct me.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Aug 17, 2008 1:04 PM | NIP Fan ]

GG is for "old man" but he's actually a few months younger than Tomoaki Satoh. I thought the story was that he looked like an old man -- even back in college he had a very serious face, so his nickname was "jiji," which became "G.G." later on (when he went to America?).
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 17, 2008 4:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

I was under the impression that he got the nickname while in the minor league system in the States. But I never learned what it was short for.

Jiji ("old man") was the first thing that came to my mind, too. But he really hasn't struck me as looking like a jiji. (Former Lion/current Dragon Wada, on the other hand, looks a lot older than he is. I could see how such a nickname could apply to him.)
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Aug 18, 2008 12:02 AM | HT Fan ]

I read some place that he gave himself the GG nickname when his teammates in the US couldn't pronounce his given name.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.