Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2008 NPB Tour?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
2008 NPB Tour?
I haven't heard a word on the possibility of an MLB tour of Japan this fall. Is there going to be one?

Thanks.
Comments
Re: 2008 NPB Tour?
[ Author: Guest: Bob | Posted: Nov 11, 2008 5:17 AM ]

I would assume that with the WBC coming up in 2009, that it would be pretty hard to find players on either side of the Pacific to be involved in such a tour.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 11, 2008 9:21 PM ]

Yeah, this tour used to be basically every two years, but with the Olympics and WBC, I assume it's not happening this year and could be in jeopardy in the future as well.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 11, 2008 9:27 PM | SFT Fan ]

With the invention of the WBC the Nichi-Bei series has been discontinued. Also, I've heard the decision has something to do with how MLB didn't give NPB and the JPBPA any input into the 2006 Classic.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 12, 2008 6:41 AM ]

- I've heard the decision has something to do with how MLB didn't give NPB and the JPBPA any input into the 2006 Classic.

Yeah, I think NPB is pretty bitter over this. Also, sweeping NPB stars last time and stealing all their players probably wasn't a good thing either!
[ Author: Guest: N 26 | Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:16 AM ]

Since MLB organized the WBC, NPB should push MLB for a proper World Series. The Asian Champs vs. "World Champs." I say, bring it on. This could market baseball globally. I'd go to New York to catch the Marines taking on the mighty Yankees, or Makuhari for that matter.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 13, 2008 9:24 AM | SFT Fan ]

- I'd go to New York to catch the Marines taking on the mighty Yankees, or Makuhari for that matter.

Yeah, but would most MLB fans of New York and Boston travel all the way to Tokyo? Some die-hard fans would go, but with the high cost of airfare it would unlikely be a lot of fans. Also, the other way around, how many NPB fans here would travel all the way to New York or Boston for a Series?

With the extended season on top of the WBC, a 162 game season, and playoffs there's no way the MLBPA goes for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it happen, but there's many things they need to get worked out first.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.