Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Spring Camps

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Spring Camps
I will be on Okinawa from February 20 to March 1, 2009. Is there a place I can find spring schedules for the teams on Okinawa? I read the FAQs and checked the team schedules posted on the site with no luck.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Comments
Re: Spring Camps
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 17, 2009 11:29 PM | YBS Fan ]

Argh. This is a really tough problem that I have every year. While the schedules for "Open-sen" (pre-season games) has been released, the times of those games has not been. (They haven't been released for the regular season, either.) I would like to be able to just enter all of this information once, then be done with it. However, in order to meet the demand of people planning their summer vacations, I do the regular season games in two steps - the dates and places of games, then update the schedule with the times. Because pre-season isn't as important, I just wait until the times are released and do it all at once.

However, it seems that an increasing number of people are planning vacations during the early spring. That means that they need to know where the games are. So I guess I'll go ahead and enter the Open-sen schedule (without starting times) tomorrow. Please try again in 24 to 48 hours.
[ Author: Jgribbins | Posted: Jan 18, 2009 10:07 AM | HT Fan ]

Thanks Westbay!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 18, 2009 9:40 PM | YBS Fan ]

"Open-sen" (pre-season games) have now been entered. When the times are released, I'll try to update the schedules as soon as possible.

Most games in the past have been day games, but with so many of the games moving closer to home (regular season stadiums rather than rural stadiums), there are sure to be many night games during the week as well.

If you (or anyone else) want(s) to know where some of these ball parks are, please refer to Deanna's Maps of Baseball Stadiums in Japan page. There are only a few new ones added since then, such as Mazda Zoom Zoom Stadium (New Hiroshima Shimin Kyujyo), Niigata, Miyoshi, and Odawara.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jan 19, 2009 9:59 AM | NIP Fan ]

Can you read Japanese? I think most teams have their schedules posted on their own sites, but I haven't found a comprehensive one yet. This, for example, is the Fighters' Okinawa spring camp schedule -- they have a bunch of practice games and training days while you're there.
[ Author: Jgribbins | Posted: Jan 22, 2009 10:04 AM | HT Fan ]

I cannot read Japanese, but I did translate the Fighter schedule, Thanks! I can make some of the practice games that week! I have been looking at the Dragons and BayStars sites as well.

Thanks again.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 21, 2009 11:33 AM | YBS Fan ]

Open-sen game times were published in today's (Jan 21, 2009) Nikkan Sports, and I've gone through and entered them into the schedule.

Of note, it was clarified that the games at Hiroshima will be at the old Hiroshima Shimin Kyujyo, not the new Mazda Zoom Zoom Stadium. Also, one game location was changed to Shunan from Toyama.

I hope this helps with your travel plans.
[ Author: Guest: Brad | Posted: Jan 22, 2009 2:11 PM ]

Do any of the teams ever make it down to Okinawa? As a huge Chicago White Sox fan that just moved here, I'd love to see the Marines and their new signing, a World Series winner, Iguchi!
[ Author: Guest: Brad | Posted: Jan 22, 2009 2:21 PM ]

Actually, I just found this on Bobby V's blog: "I look forward to Spring Training in Ishigaki, Okinawa, where it will be warm."

More details would be great!
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Jan 23, 2009 1:53 PM | YOK Fan ]

I beliveve Yokohama trains in Ginowan, Okinawa every year. I've never been to an actual spring camp, but some teams (Yokohama for example) offer travel packages to fans wanting to attend. Yokohama holds an annual weekend event from what I gather from friends that often go to watch.

Here's a link with the official information (in Japanese of course).

The event takes place from February 27th till March 1st, and on Saturday the 28th you can catch a game between the BayStars and the Nippon Ham Fighters.

If anyone is interested and wants more info on this, let me know. I'll do my best to translate for you.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.