Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Koshien Renewal

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Koshien Renewal
Anyone have any details on exactly what was done to Koshien in the off season? I know they were supposed to be completing work on the outfield seats, but wasn't sure if they were keeping the benches in the Alps or moving to real seats. I'm not catching a game there until mid-April, so was just curious if anyone knows more details or has been there for kokoyakyu yet.
Comments
Re: Koshien Renewal
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 6:19 AM ]

I believe these pictures [Mainichi] will give you a decent look at the completed work; it appears the infield seating phase was completed recently. Not sure what the remaining timetable is for further renovations. I'll try to find info for you on that soon.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 12:31 PM ]

Thanks for the link, but I think these are images from last year's renewal. I know last year they did the infield (now "Ivy Seats"), but was wondering what had been done with the outfield this past off-season.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 5:06 PM ]

Now I see you are right. This was not the page I was originally looking for. I saw the "3月12日" and thought these were from this month. Oops!
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 10:39 PM | HT Fan ]

I went to Koshien the other day for its open day for season ticket holders. I like what they've done. As far as the actual ground and seats are concerned, the changes are small to look at but big in effect.

For instance, the space between seat rows is no bigger than before, but racks under the seats to stow your belongings means there's less stuff crowding the leg space. This makes it easier to get past people to access your seat (and to get out of the way of people coming past).

Speaking of which, there are more aisles (hence the reduced capacity), which means it's easier to get to seats and you'll have less people passing in front of you to get to their seats).

Under the outfield stands, there are actual concession stands! Not just those cruddy old carts, but actual stores and stands like under the infield stands. Big improvement here.

There are also a few minor electronics added to the behind-the-plate stands which are visible from the outfield. Still no scoreboard, alas, but at least you can read the lyrics to Rokko Oroshi and keep up with the melody by following along with the karaoke-style guide.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics, but there's not much difference from last season to look at because, like I said, the changes are minor to look at, but big in terms of convenience.

[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 11:20 PM ]

Great, thanks for the updates. I prefer sitting in the Alps, but on a full night it can be pretty cramped and uncomfortable. Sounds like they have taken this into consideration.

Surprisingly, ticket sales have been a little slow. Last year Ivy Seats sold out quickly even on weeknights because of the novelty. But this year--except weekends, of course--no problem with tickets.

Anyway, looking forward to my first game on April 14!
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Mar 31, 2009 5:01 PM ]

Great photos!

I just checked this page and it said Koshien could take 47,808 people. However, I think these figures might be pre-renweal figures. Does anyone know if these numbers are correct or how many people the renewed Koshien will take?

Thanks in advance.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Apr 8, 2009 3:05 PM ]

Just checked the attendance figures from the last night's game at Koshien. The first game played in the "new Koshien." And it was 46,307. So the figure from the Koshien page is probably right.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.