Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Geography help

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Geography help
Hello,

I'm still learning how to navigate this forum/web site, so I apologize if this info is readily available somewhere.

Basically, I am trying to find out which team is located closest to Akita. I am just starting to get into Japanese baseball, and I'm shopping for a favorite team. My mom's hometown is Akita, so I thought I'd start there.

I am a SF Giants fan so I thought about jumping on the Yomiuri Giants bandwagon, but I understand they are the "Yankees" of NPB. Is that a fair assessment?

Thanks,

Stan
Comments
Re: Geography help
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jan 15, 2005 7:27 PM | HAN Fan ]

Hi SF Giants Fan,

Your nearest team is Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles - the new boys of Japanese baseball.

With regard to the Yomiuri Giants - yes it is a fair assessment.
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Jan 15, 2005 10:49 PM ]

Well Giants fan,

Akita is probably closest to the new team in Tohoku prefecture, Sendai's Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles. It's just southeast of Akita. They also signed former career SF minor leaguer Damon Minor, so you will know at least one player. They wear red and gold uniforms like Barry Bonds' alma mater, Arizona State, and they look like they have a good young starting 5.

Yomiuri likes to be called Kyojin. They are not like our beloved Giants.
Tohoku
[ Author: SFGiantsFan | Posted: Jan 16, 2005 2:06 PM ]

Well, that's neat that Damon Minor made his way over there!

So, are the Golden Eagles the result of a merger of two teams?

One thing I find confusing, is that the names of teams are the Companies that own (sponsor?) them, right? (As opposed to the cities.) So with Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles, Tohoku is the prefecture they are located in? And Rakuten is the company?

I'm jumping on the bandwagon already!

- Yomiuri likes to be called Kyojin. They are not like our beloved Giants.

Kyojin?
Re: Tohoku
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 17, 2005 12:47 AM ]

- So, are the Golden Eagles the result of a merger of two teams?

The Eagles are the result of the Orix-Kintestu merger.
Re: Tohoku
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jan 17, 2005 12:41 PM | HT Fan ]

- Kyojin?

Right. Kyojin is Japanese for "giant." The proper name for the love-'em-or-hate-'em Yomiuri Giants is Yomiuri Kyojin-gun (literally "Yomiuri Army of Giants").
[ Author: SFGiantsFan | Posted: Jan 16, 2005 2:35 PM ]

So I figured out that Orix BlueWave and Kintestu Buffaloes appears to have merged into the Orix Buffaloes? And then Rakuten was given a new franchise? And Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles actually play in Sendai, "City of Trees" (I like that! Makes me want to visit).

I'm learning.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.