Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Morgan Burkhart

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Morgan Burkhart
I heard that Morgan Burkhart is coming to Japan. I think he played for Boston of the American League last year. Can you tell me his career stats and what team he is headed to in Japan. Was that team any good last year? Will his addition to that team improve the team? Thank you.
Comments
Re: Morgan Burkhart
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 3, 2002 3:35 PM | YBS Fan ]

Whoa. Lots of questions today. And none that I can answer as I haven't seen any mention of Burkhart in Nikkan Sports over this holiday. And I'd never heard of him before this post.

I'll revisit this question after I've read something about him - like if, when, and where he's heading. Sound fair?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 3, 2002 8:52 PM ]

I posted the news of Burkhart's acquisition on Oct. 11, 2001 in the Open Talk section under "Daiei's Newest Import." Let's hope that he'll have a productive career here in Japan.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 3, 2002 9:49 PM | YBS Fan ]

Ah, so you did. That's mud on my face for not remembering (and only reviewing a week's worth of newspapers).

So, with the aid of this discussion, here are some answers (the value of which may be questionable).

- Can you tell me his career stats and what team he is headed to in Japan.

I don't do MLB, so I don't have any stats. But rumor has it that he's headed to the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks.

- Was that team any good last year?

Yes. They finished second in the Pacific League after winning two league titles in a row the previous two years.

- Will his addition to that team improve the team?

This one is a tough one. From what I read in the above discussion, he's being compared to Traxler (due to his size). Traxler was also a Hawk, with a winning personality if not numbers. Going for him is that first base (which I assume he plays based on the above thread) wasn't really a well defined spot for Daiei last season as 9 players stood in on the bag with Matsunaka leading the lot with 95 appearances. The remainder of the 130 games Matsunaka appeared in were as the designated hitter. I should note, though, that Matsunaka led the team with a .334 batting average, so Burkhart will have to compete with that if he is competing head to head with Matsunaka for playing time.

If, as one poster suggested, Burkhart has a problem with the curve ball, then I don't think he'll pan out. But, hey. I don't know first hand if he can or can't, so we'll just have to wait and see.
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Jan 5, 2002 10:23 AM ]

I found Burkhart's career stats in the Majors. They are at baseball-reference.com. Once there, type Burkhart into Player Search and click on Player Search. Then click on Morgan Burkhart. Thank you for answering my question.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.