Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball in July

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Baseball in July
Hi,

My 2 teenage sons, my husband, and I will be traveling to Japan for the first time this July. I'd really like to take in a ballgame. We'll be in Tokyo from July 8th-15th and Kyoto from 15th-20th, with a stay near Hiroshima for one of those nights, then Narita for a night, before we head back to the US. It looks like we could see a Fighters/Hawks game at the Tokyo Dome, would that be the game to try for, or is there another game that would be close to (or in) either Tokyo or Kyoto while we'll be there? Thanks for any help or advice!

Mary
Comments
Re: Baseball in July
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 23, 2005 9:27 AM | YBS Fan ]

Tokyo from July 8th-15th:
 9: Hawks vs. Lions at Seibu Invoice Dome
10: Hawks vs. Lions at Seibu Invoice Dome
11: Marines vs. Lions at Seibu Invoice Dome
12: Carp vs. BayStars at Yokohama, Tigers vs. Swallows at Chiba,
Marines vs. Lions at Seibu Invoice Dome, Hawks vs. Fighters at Tokyo Dome
13: Carp vs. BayStars at Yokohama, Tigers vs. Swallows at Chiba,
Hawks vs. Fighters at Tokyo Dome
14: Carp vs. BayStars at Yokohama
The Yakult Swallows normally call Jingu Stadium home (located in the middle of Tokyo), but will be out in Chiba for the above two days. Information on how to get to the stadiums can be found at Latham-san's site.

Kyoto/Hiroshima from 15th-20th:

The closest games during this time span will be at Koshien, where Hanshin will be hosting the Carp and BayStars. It will be a bit of a commute from Kyoto, but not as far as Hiroshima. With a JR Rail Pass, though, it won't be so bad to get from Kyoto to Osaka via Shinkansen. The trip from Shin-Osaka to Koshien requires another transfer, though (as seen on the map at the above link).

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Apr 23, 2005 11:12 AM ]

Thanks so much!

Now, of the games in the Tokyo area, does one team (or their fans) have an edge over any other, or are they all basically equal in being great to get tickets to see?

Again, thanks!
[ Author: JRHANNON | Posted: Apr 26, 2005 11:30 AM | HT Fan ]

The Tokyo Dome is extremely easy to get to - just take the Mita Metro line to Suidobashi (I-11) and follow the exit signs. You can't miss it. Unfortunately the Swallows aren't playing at "home," as Jingu Stadium is also easily accessible. The problem with Seibu and Chiba is that they're a pretty good distance away from the city (as far as I know).

As for the fans, I've found by watching the games on TV that the Dragons and Tigers have the best fans, with the Giants ranking up there as well. I went to my first game two weeks ago (Swallows vs. Giants), and while the stadium was around half-full, the atmosphere was much better than you'd find at a game in the U.S.

Therefore, as an American living in northern Japan, I'd have to agree with you on your last statement - they are all basically equal in being great to see. Though I'm not certain the Fighters-Hawks game will draw a big crowd in Tokyo, you'll still have a good time.

Enjoy your trip here.

Jonathan
[ Author: Jmday4 | Posted: Apr 29, 2005 9:38 PM ]

Thank you! I was hoping for a great atmosphere, but I guess Fighters/ Hawks will be the best game for us to see! Again, thanks for your input!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.