Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Players?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Players?
Do you have information for coaches in the United States who are looking for players who might be coming back to the States and need ball players for the 2005 season?
Comments
Re: Players?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 27, 2005 10:11 AM | YBS Fan ]

Well, Dan Miceli was released by the Giants, the final papers having been completed yesterday by the Commissioner's Office, making him available for the 2005 season with no strings attached. While the Giants are showing a great deal more patience with Kapler, I expect that he may be next.

The Golden Eagles claim to be looking for new foreign talent, which means that they may also be releasing a suketto or two sometime soon. No names have been mentioned, though.

Keep an eye on Borisov-san's Who's Not on his "Who's Hot" pages for the Central League and Pacific League. Foreign players who are on the Not list too long have a fair likelihood to be heading back some time soon.

On a related note, the Giants' Tuffy Rhodes has been openly critical of the Giants, today's front page headline reading "I hate the Giants!" Giants' manager, Horiuchi, stuck up for Rhodes saying that everyone is frustrated with their current five game losing streak. While the field manager sympathizes with Rhodes, upper management for the Giants has traditionally been less forgiving about open critisism.
Re: Players?
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Apr 27, 2005 12:32 PM ]

It sounds like Tuffy Rhodes had quite a temper tantrum last night after the game. He was supposedly angry about one of his coaches, Hirota, who apparently blamed last night's loss on Rhodes.

According to the Nikkan Sports, Rhodes supposedly said something like, "Go ahead and write it. F-ing Giants! I hate the Giants! Hirota blamed the loss on me. I've played 10 years here but don't get any respect. Is it my fault that our pitchers can't throw straight and get hit? I'm going back to Tokyo."

Hirota refused to comment on Rhodes' outburst while Horiuchi said something like, "He got mad? Well, everyone gets frustrated when you lose. He said he's going back to Tokyo? Baseball players always think it over after they had a night to sleep on it."

It'll be interesting to see if the front office will take any action against Rhodes. Rhodes has supposedly told insiders that this will be his last year with the Giants. He sure is making sure of that.

I personally have always been a Tuffy Rhodes fan so I hope he plays in Japan a few more years. Let's hope he doesn't burn any more bridges during his stay with the Giants.
Yomiuri Takes Action Against Rhodes
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 28, 2005 9:10 AM ]

Yomiuri fined Tuffy Rhodes 2,000,000 yen for his comments about Sumio Hirota. [Link - Japan Ball]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.