Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Diamonds Around the Globe

Discussion in the Book Reviews forum
Diamonds Around the Globe
Has anyone gotten the book "Diamonds Around the Globe"? It looks interesting for those of us who are fans of the international game, but the $75 price tag makes me apprehensive until I find out more about it.
Comments
Re: Diamonds Around the Globe
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 17, 2005 10:15 PM ]

Yes. If I were you, I would save your money. There is little on Asian baseball that hasn't been published elsewhere.
Re: Diamonds Around the Globe
[ Author: Guest: Michael Eng | Posted: Jun 28, 2005 1:45 AM ]

Title: Diamonds Around the Globe: The Encyclopedia of International Baseball
Author: Peter C. Bjarkman
Format: Paperback, 667 pages
Pub. Date: December 2004
ISBN: 0-3133-2268-6
Publisher: Greenwood Publishing Group, Incorporated

I bought the book for $50 at Barnes and Noble. The book is divided into chapters for each country or region in the world. Each chapter starts out with a narrative of the history of baseball in the country; which is followed by biographies of selected players. There are also black and white photos interspersed within each chapter. At the end of each chapter, there is section with MLB stats, league champions, record holders, no-hitters, and national hall of fame members. The last two chapters are on IBAF tournaments (Olympics, World Cup) and the Caribbean World Series contain short capsules on each tournament. There is also an annotated bibliography and index at the book's end. Overall the book provides a good reference material on non-American baseball.

Countries with Number of Pages
Cuba - 68
Canada - 50
Japan - 40
Dominican Republic - 40
Venezuela - 32
Puerto Rico - 34
Mexico - 54
Caribbean Basin - 30
The Rest of the World - 60
World Amateur Competition - 76
Caribbean World Series and Winter Ball - 40
International Baseball Timeline - 36
IBAF 2003 Membership Roster - 16
Annotated Bibliography - 12
Index
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.