Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shigeki Sano

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Shigeki Sano
ESPN.com reported that the Los Angeles Dodgers of the National League signed Shigeki Sano. His career stats are 41 wins, 31 losses, and 27 saves. Can you confirm this transaction? What are your opinions on Sano coming to America? Is he ready for the big leagues?
Comments
Re: Shigeki Sano
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 18, 2002 4:05 PM ]

I don't have his stats handy, that sounds about right. He's washed up. He'll amount to nothing. He had a decent run as Kintetsu's set-up man in the early '90s and he also became very popular due to his comical appearance (short, pudgy, and bald)-he even appeared in a movie here-but as far as his arm goes, it's dead and it's been dead for a while now. I doubt he'll make the Dodgers' major league roster.
[ Author: Guest: Rob Brogna | Posted: Feb 22, 2002 10:32 PM ]

Hi,
Sano actually did a stint last year with the Elmira Pioneers in the Northern League. Interestingly, he was used a starter....went 6-6 with a 2.66 ERA.....
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 23, 2002 11:24 PM ]

Those numbers sound OK, but I'm still convinced that the guy's got nothing left in his tank. He'd be better off in the entertainment business here in Japan...
Speaking of former ballplayers who ended up in the entertainment business as actors or "talents", it looks like former Orions and Dragons slugger Aiko went AWOL. He's reportedly up to his neck in debt which probably led to his disappearance. It sure is a sad story.
[ Author: Guest: louis rivera | Posted: Jun 14, 2002 3:20 AM ]

Hey, can any body tell me what movie Shigeki Sano was in in Japan and is there any way I can get a hold of a copy hopefuly on DVD.

thanks guys
( macewindu742@aol.com )
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 14, 2002 8:47 AM | YBS Fan ]

It looks like the question was already answered here.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 28, 2002 4:04 PM ]

I saw the transactions page today on the MSNBC Sports website and it said that Shigeki Sano has signed with the Elmira Pioneers of the independent Northern League. I guess it didn't work out with the Dodgers.

Also, Omar Linares is getting all the publicity right now, but on the same page it said that the contract of RHP Martin Vargas of the Cleveland Indidans has been sold to Chunichi. I have never heard of him and I have yet to see anything about him in the Japanese papers.
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Jun 30, 2002 10:34 AM ]

Martin Vargas has been a spring training invitee but has yet to appear in a regular season MLB game. He spent all of 2001 at AA Akron in the Cleveland system, leading his team in wins, saves and appearances. He played this past winter in his native Dominican Republic.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.