Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

May Humbled?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
May Humbled?
Ken-san sent me the following note with the URL to this Kansas City article:

- Hi, I thought you might be interested in this article. May is more diplomatic now than he was in the past.

It still pretty much says that May thought of nothing else than returning to the States while in Japan. But concludes:

"If I had a chance to do it over again, I probably wouldn't change it," May said.

"It's a great experience. But it makes you appreciate where you came from."

It makes me think that he might have gotten something other than financial stability from Japan, but that even he isn't sure what.

Well, gambare May, where ever you play.
Comments
Re: May Humbled?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 17, 2002 7:43 PM ]

Last week, in his first Major League start in 5 years, Darrell May actually pitched well giving up 2 earned runs (both HRs) in 4 2/3 innings against the current best team in baseball, the Cleveland Indians. However, he had to leave after only 4 2/3 innings because he re-aggravated a groin injury that had kept him sidelined for the first 2 weeks of the season. He left the game with a big lead, so he would've qualified for the win had he pitched another 1/3 of an inning, but the Indians made it a moot point when they bombed the Royals in a huge come from behind victory.

May was immediately placed back on the 15-day disabled list and the Royals are taking a wait-and-see approach with him.

The Royals have another left-hander on the staff who once played in Japan in former Buffaloes (1998) lefty Brian Shouse. He changed his delivery from a 3/4 motion to a side-arm motion and impressed the Royals this spring. However, he's been getting shelled with regularity in the regular season.
Re: May Humbled?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 7, 2002 3:35 PM ]

Congratulations to Darrell May for earning his first win today in the majors since 1997. Coming into the game today against the ChiSox, he was 0-3 and regularly getting pounded like it was nobody's business. The low point of his season (other than going on the DL twice) was when he came in for mop-up work against his former team, the Angels, in Anaheim and promptly got lit up like a X-mas tree.

I said before the season that he might pitch well enough to save former Seibu Lion Tony Muser's job, but that didn't happen. Muser is now hanging out at his California home, waiting for another job offer. He was offered the job as manager of the Columbus Clippers (the Yankees' AAA team) right after he was canned, but he opted not to take the job.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.