Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

controversy about Japanese ballplayers in America

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
controversy about Japanese ballplayers in America
Is there any controversy about Japanese ballplayers playing in America? If so how does it affect the people of America, socially and economically?

I know this topic isn't to interesting but I could really use the help for a school report I'm doing.

=======================================================
thanks
Comments
Controversial Japanese Ballplayers in America
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 1, 2002 1:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

There were essentially two players who moved over to the MLB under a curtain of controversy: Nomo and Irabu.

In Nomo's case, he got fed up with the way he was mistreated by Kinetsu's management and requested to be released. They did so under the grounds that he could not sign with any other NPB team. So when he signed an MLB deal, it started a controversy and the current "exidus" of players from NPB to MLB.

Irabu was even a higher profile pitcher than Nomo was. And he felt that he was being abused by his club, the Chiba Lotte Marines as well. Irabu whined and refused to sign until he was promised that he could go to the Majors. He wanted to play for the Yankees or nobody else. Well, Lotte would match half of his demands, to allow him to go to the Majors, but they sold his negotiation rights to the San Diego Padres. As you can confirm by checking newspapers around the end of 1996 to the beginning of 1997, Irabu and his agent, Dan (a.k.a. Don) Nomura, refused to even talk with San Diego. Finally, an embarrassed Marine front office refunded the Padres and delt Irabu to the Yanks.

Nomo's contraversy resulted in the renewal of an agreement between the Japanese and Major League commissioners to respect one another's contracts, so as to prevent a player from just heading over on his own.

Irabu's contraversy resulted in the posting system which Hiroshima's Soliano (I think) was the first to use to go to Boston, followed by Ichiro and Ishii in 2001 and 2002 respectively.

I haven't a clue as to how this effects America socially or echonomically. The only effects they've had have been on stop-gap measures by Japanese ball clubs to try to prevent a tallent drain without compensation.

Perhaps you need to rephrase the questions in such a way that it's more clear what you're after. Please have a look at this thread as an example of how to write questions that will get better responses.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.