Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Seattle Happenings

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Seattle Happenings
I know this is a bit off the topic and I know that this doesn't have anything to do with Japanese baseball, but please forgive me since it's bugging me and I had to ask this since I thought that maybe someone here could answer my quesion.

I recently went to Seattle to watch Ichiro and the Mariners play the Red Sox and I noticed that when Raul Ibanez of the Mariners comes to bat, the PA system plays a song that goes, "Aooooouuuu," and the fans sing along and sing, "Rauuuuuul." Does anyone know what that song is? It sounds like a Bob Seger song and I know I've heard it before, but I don't know what the song is.

When I was at Safeco, there was a couple in their 20s sitting 2 rows in front of me who got engaged at the game. The Mariners' mascot, Moose, held up a sign that the man made that said, "Andrea, will you marry me?" Of course the girl said yes, but it was funny since it was during the game and most of the people nearby stopped watching the game and watched what was going on with the couple instead. The man and the woman both wore Ichiro #51 T-shirts.

[By Admin: Giri giri on topic thanks to Ichiro fans.]
Comments
Re: Seattle Happenings
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: May 25, 2005 8:29 PM | NIP Fan ]

The song that plays for Raul Ibanez is "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon.

I'm local to Seattle. I went to all three Yankees-Mariners games last week. There was a bigger cheering section for Chien-Ming Wang (one of the Yankees pitchers) holding up Taiwanese flags and signs full of kanji than there was for Matsui or Ichiro. It was kinda cool.

To stab for more Japanese baseball relevance, I saw Masao Kida pitching when I went to a Tacoma Rainiers game (the Mariners' AAA affiliate) a few weeks ago. He looked really good - the particular day, he was finishing the game for Felix Hernandez, and went 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K. It should have been one hit and no earned runs, but I swear they never call an error an error in the minors. It looks like he's having a reasonable season down there, but I'm betting they're not going to call him back up to Seattle this year at all.
Re: Seattle Happenings
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: May 26, 2005 6:13 AM ]

Deanna, thank you for answering my question. I never would've figured out that it was a song by the late Warren Zevon. It did seem to me that the people in Seattle almost have too much fun with Raul Ibanez's name - it almost seemed to me like they were making fun of it.

I think the fact that Matsui and Ichiro have been in the big leagues for a while now is probably the reason why more people were cheering for Wang during the Seattle/NY series as he is new to MLB.

That's interesting about Masao Kida. I wonder why no other teams are willing to take a chance on him. It seems to me that just about every MLB team needs a decent middle reliever or two. I'd like to see Kida get called up somewhere this season.

I forgot to mention this in the last post, but Senichi Hoshino was there at the M's/Red Sox game that I attended. Before the game he was in the stands filming a segment for TV, and after he was done some Japanese fans lined up to get his autograph. The American fans there obviously had no clue who he was. Later, during the game, the PA announcer introduced Hoshino between innings. He was introduced as "a legend in Japanese baseball," but the fans there didn't care, obviously. He was given a courtesy "golf clap."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.