Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

The Tuffy Rhodes situation

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
The Tuffy Rhodes situation
This was a while ago, but I read that the Tigers had some interest in Rhodes?

Obviously this didn't pan out, so what happened?
Comments
Re: The Tuffy Rhodes situation
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 5, 2002 5:54 PM ]

Which Tigers are you talking about? I haven't heard anything about Rhodes and Detroit or Hanshin before.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jun 11, 2002 3:22 AM ]

Well, the Japanese press said that the Detroit Tigers were hot on Rhodes' heels and there was also apparently some interest from Seattle (though the local press here didn't say anything like that), but those never panned out. I don't think you're going to see Tuffy in an MLB uniform anytime soon since he's having a pretty good time in Japan. He's homered 20 or more times a season for seven years in a row there (hard to believe he's been there that long).
[ Author: Guest: BrianH | Posted: Jun 12, 2002 11:00 AM ]

Yeah he probably didn't want to go to a horrible team like Detroit where he wouldn't be guaranteed a starting job and would be just another player.

....But the Tigers definitely could have used him.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jun 14, 2002 5:25 AM ]

You also have to figure Comerica Park into that equation as well.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.