Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Matsui's Consecutive Game Streak

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Matsui's Consecutive Game Streak
Hideki Matsui's consecutive games played in streak (JAPAN/US) reached 1,634 games yesterday. But since the Yankees are struggling this year it has become a target of many critics. Some have even said that it is a silly and meaningless streak.

I personally think once it reaches that many games it is a remarkable achievement. It means that he has been healthy and has performed at a level that warrants his manager inserting him in the lineup ahead of any possible replacement. Some people claim that Matsui looks tired and should rest. I consider those comments odd because a human being can use the non-baseball playing hours of the day to get extra rest.

So unless Matsui injures himself or his performance level declines substantially, these critics should look for other targets while respecting Matsui's determination to be there every game to entertain the fans and to help his team.
Comments
Re: Matsui's Consecutive Game Streak
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 10, 2005 11:00 AM ]

It's the same thing some comentators said about Cal Ripken and the Orioles during his 2,632 games. Most famous of these analysts are the hypocritical Joe Morgan, and the highly hypocritical Bobby Bonds.

I became die-hard Orioles fan mostly thanks to Ripken's streak and work ethic, and that's what led me to becoming a baseball fan. So thanks to you Cal (you're one of baseball's true all-time greats).

Both Cal's and Hideki Matsui's consecutive game streaks are signs of a hard work ethic and professionalism. Though it's not the streak that hurts the team, it's the peformance of the other players on the team that hurts the team (this is another false arugment that deals with consecutive game streaks).

Let's look at current MLB consecutive game streak leader, current Orioles' shortstop Miguel Tejada. It certainly hasn't hurt his peformance in the batter's box or the field. The same thing applies to Ripken and Hideki Matsui.

- [...] one have even said that it is a silly and meaningless streak.

No it's not. It's a sign of a strong work ethic and something postive about the game of baseball for a change. Ripken is a future HOFer, and Hideki Matsui, if he's stays in the majors long enough, could be a HOFer. Hideki is already a sure first-ballot NPB Hall of Famer. Also, it personifies a sense of professionalism across the board for a baseball player.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Jun 10, 2005 2:55 PM ]

If anything, a long streak show the guy is tough as nails. And a bit lucky not to suffer an injury.
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: Jun 10, 2005 6:02 PM | CD Fan ]

Bobby Bonds? Did he do it before he died last year? Barry Bonds? Rob Dibble? Who are you talking about?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 11, 2005 2:36 AM ]

- Bobby Bonds? Did he do it before he died last year?

Bobby Bonds, made his comment around 1994 or so, that Ripken's streak was selfish and that it was hurting the performance of the Orioles, which both in turn were completely false. The Orioles were in 2nd place in the AL East in 1994, and could have been the Wild Card team if it weren't for the strike. Also, throughout Ripken's career, his performance never hurt the Orioles. He was constantly the Orioles' best player. The performance of other players and Orioles' owner Peter Angelos is want prevented Baltimore from winning.

Also, to imply that Ripken's streak was selfish, please. The streak was what made baseball positive again in the United States, though the steroid scandal sadly destroyed that (though that's another discussion). Ripken's streak was a sign of a hard work ethic and professionalism. Also, Ripken was an all-around HOF-caliber player, one that will go on in the first ballot. I'm also glad that I was able to experience Cal's Streak and actually meet Cal in person. Ripken was and always will be my favorite player.

The reason why I mentioned Ripken's streak was that it was attacked just like Hideki is being done right now. Though if I were Hideki, I would ingore ingnorant and jealous sportwriters and analysts who think his streak is hurting his team's pefromance. To imply that a streak is hurting a player's performance is ignorant and just plain out wrong, as it hasn't hurt Hideki's perfomance. Whoever made this statement needs to take a look in the mirror and re-examine their points, as they're ignorant and flawed.
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: Jun 11, 2005 9:45 PM | CD Fan ]

I didn't know Bobby said that. I don't really see why he was hypocritical for stating his opinion, but I do agree with you about Ripken's streak. It saved baseball (along with McGwire/Sosa doing the home run derby later). I think if you are capable of playing, play. What Ripken did was phenomenal and Matsui is slowly doing the same things. I can see the benifits of sitting down for a game and watching from a different perspective. Baseball is really a mental game and it's good to have a day to process without the pressure. Players are different though, I think guys like Ripken and Matsui can play through it.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 14, 2005 2:13 AM ]

Did I jinx my favorite player by opening this thread?

I watched in horror yesterday as Matsui fell to the ground in St. Louis. It looked really bad until he got up and walked off gingerly with the trainer and Torre.

Not a good way to spend his 31st birthday.
[ Author: Guest: sonoda7 | Posted: Jun 15, 2005 9:36 PM ]

Yesterday afternoon I was happy to hear that Matsui was in the line up as the DH. But I did not expect the performance that put out at night. Hitting a HR was one thing, but to go through the stop sign of the third base coach to score from second base was a surprise. It looked like his teammates were teasing him about it in the dugout.

Torre will continue to use him as the DH for now. Apparently the trainer fitted him with a boot that stabilizes the ankle.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 21, 2005 5:40 PM ]

It looks like his injury hasn't hurt him that much.

Hideki Matsui was named the AL PLayer of the Week for June 12-18th. Matsui batted .455 (10-22) with 3 HR, 6 RBI, 6 runs scored, 22 total bases, and a .538 on-base percentage. Matsui also led the AL in RBI with 10 and a 1.000 slugging percentage last week.

This was Hideki Matsui's third AL Player of the Week award for him in his career. Matsui beat out Angels' outfielder Vladmir Guerrero, Rangers' second baseman Alfonso Soriano, Devil Rays' infielder Jorge Cantu, and Yankee teammate pitcher Mike Mussina for the Player of the Week.

[Full Story - MLB.com]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.