Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kenji Johjima

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kenji Johjima
There's speculation that Kenji Johjima might be pursued by a MLB team for 2006. His hitting prowess and ability to throw out 38% of runners have been cited.

What does anyone think the likelihood of him switching leagues in 2006 to be? Considering he doesn't speak English and catchers need to communicate with their pitchers, do you all think this would be a good move for him?

The Mets and Yankees were the teams mentioned as having possible interest.
Comments
Re: Kenji Johjima
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:13 AM ]

"There's speculation that Kenji Johjima might be pursued by a MLB team for 2006."

Reportedly the RedSox, Mets, and Yankees are some of the teams interested. I think Johjima could end off with the Mariners, White Sox, or Dodgers though who all need a catcher though.

"What does anyone think the likelihood of him switching leagues in 2006 to be? Considering he doesn't speak English and catchers need to communicate with their pitchers, do you all think this would be a good move for him?"

Right now, it's too early in my opinion to tell what Johjima will do, he said he would like to play in the majors or he will stay with the Softbank Hawks if he stays in Japan.

I'm not so worried about Johjima's English barrier as others are, seeing as he seems to communicates well with foreign pitchers well enough on the Softbank Hawks staff(both Spanish and English), from what I heard, Johjima describes it as all baseball talk.

Johjima has won 6 Gold Gloves(1999-2004). He has been on the Best Nine(1999-2001, 2003-2004), and PL MVP(2003).

http://www.japanbaseballdaily.com/battingJinno-Jozume.html

[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 20, 2005 1:04 PM | CLM Fan ]

AJ has been solid for the White Sox. His communication and clubhouse prescence are the most underrated attributes of this year's White Sox. Besides, Chris Widger has been very impressive from what little I've seen of him. As much as I'd like to see Iguchi and Johjima together on a major league team, let alone my favorite team, I think messing with this year's Sox lineup would mess up the "wa".

I'd rather see Joh with the Mariners or Dodgers. The Red Sox don't need him, the Yankees don't need him too much, and no Japanese player should ever play for the Mets again.
[ Author: Guest: Soto | Posted: Jul 20, 2005 1:53 PM ]

Thanks for the input. The Dodgers are a possibility. The Yanks have Posada. The Mets could use him with Piazza in his final season, most likely.

Not sure if I'd rule out the Mets. Matsui sure has his troubles. However, Shinjo was well liked as well as Komi. If he makes the transition to MLB, he'll have no trouble with the Mets. The fans there like good players who sacrifice...and ride the ones who disappoint.It's a great baseball town, just tough. That's the way it is.
[ Author: Guest: Tenma Thug Life | Posted: Jul 20, 2005 10:45 PM ]

The language barrier shouldn't be any problem. Pitchers and catchers connect easily. What worries me about Johjima is going to a NY team. He will succeed in the Majors but would be better off taking less dough and going to a smaller venue or at least a team with a less hostile fan base.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 20, 2005 11:01 PM ]

Johjima would defintely be better off in Seattle, Los Angeles, or one of the two Chicago teams.

I hope he doesn't sign with the Mets with their fan base.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Jul 21, 2005 6:55 AM | FSH Fan ]

> I'd rather see Joh with the Mariners or Dodgers. The
> Red Sox don't need him, the Yankees don't need him
> too much, and no Japanese player should ever play for
> the Mets again.

My sentiments exactly. Both Seattle and L.A. are in need of catchers -- The two "big" teams in the East are already set at the catcher position, and well... the Mets will be the Mets. Their recent big signings have basically all been busts, and Johjima doesn't need to take a chance himself with that team.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Jul 21, 2005 10:21 PM ]

A number of years ago, one magazine (or newspaper) in Japan suggested that if Jojima (let's take the "h" out-they'll do it anyway if he goes to the U.S.) should go by the name "George McKenzie" if he ever goes to the majors... Get it? "Joji.. ma Kenji."

In all seriousness, I'm wondering if he'll be a solid catcher in MLB. In the winter of 2001, Tanishige of the Dragons (he was with the BayStars back then), worked out in the U.S. for some MLB scouts. They told him to go back to Japan because they didn't think he hit the ball with any authority. Granted, Jojima is 10 times better than Tanishige, but after Kaz Matsui I've become hesitant in telling my friends in the U.S. that all these Japanese players will become studs in the U.S.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Jul 21, 2005 11:46 PM ]

I'm a mets fan and I don't like this general approach on Mets fan. All sports team have stupid fans and the Kaz Matsui situation is only because of the loudness of ignorant fans. I'm sure there's some ignorant Japanese baseball fans also.

Anyway, I think Jojima could do well in the states. But to expect him to drive 30 or more out of the park is way out of the question. He would be a great defensive catcher. I haven't seen him play but if he had 6 gold gloves then he should do well defensively. Also, how is his arm strength? If he could gun down people, there is definitely a market for him in the mlb.
[ Author: MHtrStevie | Posted: Jul 21, 2005 11:54 PM | CLM Fan ]

Honestly, I don't think anyone would be able to say anything concrete until he actually came over to MLB and started playing. The same rule applies to NPB players coming to MLB as well as MLB players going to NPB... some players will make the adjustment smoothly (Nomo, Ichiro, Godzilla, Iguchi) while others won't (Irabu, Kaz).

I'd look at it like this... we all know how skilled a player Johjima is, and he has just as much chance of being a success in MLB as any of the other successful imports. Just don't go into it thinking he's a "slam dunk" like people approached Kaz...
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 22, 2005 4:38 AM | CLM Fan ]

I've said this before on the mlb.com boards and I'll say it here. There are two kinds of players who come to the USA from Japan, the samurai and the shinsedai(new generation) players.

The samurai train old school and have the Tanaka(from Major League 2) mentality of "buddha inside, warrior outside" which is basically the mentality of Bushidou. Examples of these types of players are Ichiro, Hideki Matsui, Tadahito Iguchi, and So Taguchi.

The shinsei guys will dye their hair, try to appeal to the female fans, and are more influenced by western sports stars. They're forced to train as hard as the samurai by the kantoku(mostly old school samurai), but there's a chance they won't put in the effort like samurai when it comes to time off and adjusting. They're also more likely to succumb to the temptations of a superstar life. Examples of these are Tsuyoshi Shinjo, Kazuo Matsui, and Hideki Irabu.

Then there are guys who don't fit into either category like Nomo, Sasaki, and Takatsu.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 22, 2005 4:39 AM | CLM Fan ]

Oops. I meant "shinsedai" in that third paragraph. Also, I'd classify Johjima as more of a samurai.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 22, 2005 8:32 AM ]

Johjima is batting .303 with 20HR and 46 RBI's this year so far with the Hawks.

http://www.geocities.com/s_borisov/jb2005/05fsh.htm

"while others won't (Irabu, Kaz)."

While Kaz does need to work on some things, he wasn't all that bad last year, and was put out by Mets fans to be the worst thing since 1962 for them. He hit .272, 7HR, 44RBI, 14SB, and 322B's. This year, Kaz has fought threw numerous injuries to be fair to him. Am, I blind to the fact Kaz needs to work on some things no, I've even said the same thing in the past.

"Examples of these are Tsuyoshi Shinjo, Kazuo Matsui, and Hideki Irabu."

Though in my opinion Shinjo really did in my opinion mature as a player, he went back to the NPB the next year after his last year in the majors and has his best year ever. Shinjo batted .298, with 24 HR and 79RBI's.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 25, 2005 10:01 AM ]

They're great players, of course. It's just a matter of guys who make adjustments and focus on nothing but baseball. Shinjo came back to Japan, but he's also been in tons of ads and does gimmicks like the skip catch and GOLD BAT at the allstar game. Stuff like that takes away from a player's intensity.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 25, 2005 10:02 AM | CLM Fan ]

Twas me.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Jul 25, 2005 8:12 AM ]

Great insight! I guess I prefer the Bushidou guys.

Are there any Western players in MLB who you think have a Bushidou mentality?

Mike Piazza, in his prime? Hank Aaron? Carlos Beltran?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 25, 2005 10:00 AM ]

Roger Clemens, easily. He's a warrior.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 25, 2005 10:02 AM | CLM Fan ]

That was me. Sorry.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.