Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Saw Shinjyo in Montreal Tonight...

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Saw Shinjyo in Montreal Tonight...
Bali Morris-san writes:

"Great job by Ichiro tonight going 4 for 6 and getting his first major league homerun (a game winner at that!).  I'm really glad to see him doing so well.  I wish I got to see more of him up here in Canada.  I definitely plan to see him when the Mariners play in Toronto in May.

I saw Tsuyoshi Shinjyo today in Montreal at the Expos' home opener.  He only came into pinch hit for the pitcher and wound up hitting a little 'squibler' that was fielded by Michael Barrett, the Expos' catcher."
I was hoping Shinjyo would start in the outfield as he did last night in Atlanta, but instead Timo Perez was in right field.  I believe Perez had played in Japan for a while before going to the Mets.  He's definitely better than the average Major Leaguer in terms of some of his fundamental baseball skills, such as bunting.  I'm sure he picked up a lot of those skills while playing in Japan.  He laid down a beautiful slug bunt between the pitcher and Fernando Tatis, the third baseman.  Tatis was even anticipating the bunt, but he laid it down so well that he still managed to beat it out for a base hit.

In the end, my Expos won the game 10-6.  It was an exciting game and the Expos should have a very good season if everyone stays healthy.  They'll be even better once starting pitchers Carl Pavano and Hideki Irabu (who had quite a decent spring training) return from their injuries.

Cheers!

Comments
Re: Saw Shinjyo in Montreal Tonight...
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Sep 26, 2001 4:48 AM | HT Fan ]

Wow, an Expo fan -- I didn't think you guys exsisted. =) Seriously, that poor team needs lots and lots more fans like you. Otherwise, the Expo's might be extinguished in the near future.
Re: Saw Shinjyo in Montreal Tonight...
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 21, 2002 2:12 AM ]

I wonder how Japanese Expos have found living in a (mostly) French-speaking environment. If coming to the US produces le choc culturel, wouldn't a stint in Quebec double the effect?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.