Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Soriano and some Japanese/Major league Baseball

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Soriano and some Japanese/Major league Baseball
Alfonso Soriano is the hottest topic in New York baseball
aside from the Uchuujin Shinjo.
He is considered to be one of the frontrunners for the American League Rookie of the Year Award (comment on this later). It's always good to see a player out of Nippon Pro-Yakyu succeed regardless of his nationality.

[Continued...]About the Rookie of the Year Award won by a Japanese ballplayers.
I don't want Ichiro to win because he is a veteran in mind. This reminds me of the time when the Negro Leaguer came up to the Majors in the late 40's and the 50's in National League and dominated the Rookie of the Year Award. That is because they were already proven veteran ballplayers. Negro League baseball was equal or even superior in some aspects than Major Leagues back than. It shows that Nippon Pro-Yakyu has shown that they can play ball!!!

Rookie of the Year Award between 1947 and 1953:

1953 Jim Gilliam - Brooklyn,

1952 Joe Black - Brooklyn,

1951 Willie Mays - New York Giants,

1950 Sam Jethroe - Boston,

1949 Don Newcombe - Brooklyn *,

1948 Alvin Dark - Boston,

1947 Jackie Robinson - Brooklyn.

* By the way, Don Newcombe is one of the rare players to play 3 professional leagues. Negro League (Newark Eagles), Major league (Brooklyn Dodgers) and Japanese League (Chunichi Dragons).

Alfonso Soriano (NYY) 2001 Stats:

GABRH2B3BHRRBIBBIBBKSBCS OBPSLGAVE.
    198214247027001442.289.451.293"

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.