Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Center Field for the Yankees

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Center Field for the Yankees
The legendary position of center field for the Yankees will be played by Hideki Matsui. The position that was once played by Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle will now be played by Godzilla while Bernie Williams recovers from a torn cartridge injury to his knee.

My question is, how good of a center fielder was Matsui for the Yomiuri Giants? I have seen enough of him in left field to know that he is a solid defensive player.
Comments
Re: Center Field for the Yankees
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: May 24, 2003 7:54 AM ]

Well, he won three Gold Gloves. Assume that his hitting helped him earn those, but that still means he was a capable center fielder.
[ Author: Guest: Toyota | Posted: May 24, 2003 1:15 PM ]

Playing for Giants also helped him win Gold Gloves. He is not as good a defender as Ichiro or Shinjo. I think he is just an average defender like Jeter. But he seems to be better than Mondesi.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 24, 2003 7:49 PM | HT Fan ]

I have been impressed overall by Matsui's defensive play for the Yankees this year -- a pleasant surprise to many observers. He has made some dazzling plays in left (despite one glaring error a few nights back that was widely printed up in the New York papers). He will fill in fine for Bernie in center and, I believe, will get his offensive numbers up as the season continues.

The Yankees are collectively slumping a bit now, and their big issues are pitching and Jason Giambi's hitting, not Matsui's adjustments to North American major league play.
[ Author: Guest: Toyota | Posted: May 26, 2003 6:36 PM ]

I rarely see him make a sliding catch or steal a base. I sometimes think he is a little bit lazy in the field compared to other Japanese players. That was the reason why he played over 1,000 consecutive matches in Japan, because he did not take a risk going after a difficult ball.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 27, 2003 12:13 AM ]

When you're the best hitter in the country, the coaches tell the player not to do anything stupid that could result in a disastrous injury. With the kind of hitting he did in Japan, anybody would be willing to sacrifice an out for a single, a single for a double, and a double for a triple if it meant keeping Matsui in the lineup.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 27, 2003 3:24 AM ]

Spoken like a typical anti-Giants or anti-Yankee fan. Statements like that don't help your credibility.

[Slight working change by: Admin on May 27, 2003 9:01 AM JST]
[ Author: morosuki | Posted: May 27, 2003 9:46 AM | YOK Fan ]

Actually, he is making those diving/sliding catches now that he plays on natural grass. Diving/sliding on the man-made turf that they use in the Tokyo Dome and all the other Central League fields (minus Koshien) will result in injury many times more than not.

morosuki
[ Author: Guest: T-Boy | Posted: May 28, 2003 5:12 AM ]

I think Matsui has been a steady outfielder for the Yankees thus far. I have been fortunate to catch a few games at the stadium and on TV this year. Previously I only heard about Matsui's bat, it is a pleasant surprise to see the bat comes with a good glove as well.

I do not think he is at the same level as Ichiro defensively. But I don't think Joe Torre will be making any late inning defensive replacements for him as he has often does for his previous star outfielders in the recent years (Strawberry, Canseco, Glenallen Hill, Rondel White).
[ Author: Guest: Toyota | Posted: May 28, 2003 3:33 PM ]

Thanks for many good points. Well, Matsui has shown that he is also a good outfielder. he plays better than Mondesi and Rivera.

I don't agree with the guy who talked about anti-Giants. There are a lot of anti-Giant fans in Kansai, including Hoshino. Anti-Giant doesnt mean anti-Yankee.

Well, I am very surprised that everybody talks about the Giants. Egawa and other TV commentors only show up Giants, so why do other teams play baseball?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.