Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ichiro Speaks Out on Sosa's Corked Bat

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ichiro Speaks Out on Sosa's Corked Bat
Larry Larue relates Ichiro's reaction to Sammy Sosa's corked bat in the June 5, 2003 Tacoma News Tribune [Link].

Ichiro reacted by tapping his chest and said he felt "Hurt."

Ichiro stated that in Japan, "I've never heard of such a thing happening. The baseballs in Japan are wrapped tight enough. There's no need for anything else."
Comments
Re: Ichiro Speaks Out on Sosa's Corked Bat
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jun 6, 2003 11:01 AM ]

Perhaps such things are rarer in Japan, but the Hawks had a sign stealing scandal a couple of years ago. Yes, the reaction to it was harsher than it would have been in MLB, but it happened.

The salaries players draw (even in NPB) create pressure to perform, and the level of competition leaves players looking for an edge. At least in MLB, some sadly succumb to the pressure and throw a spitter or cork a bat, or use some pharmaceutical aid. I'm not going to condone it, but such things are a part of the fabric of MLB and will continue to be so.

NPB may well be purer in that sense, but the same pressures are there (though the cultural view on such issues may not be so forgiving), and players with exposure to MLB attitudes come over to NPB. For that reason, I doubt all of the NPB is absolutely pure in its adherence to the rules and to proper behavior as to drugs.

Sosa's explanation, given that only one of over 70 bats was corked, is at least plausible. He may also have felt the need to get out of his current doldrums, and in a weak moment chose to use the corked bat. Only he knows for sure. It's a shame either way, but Sosa's at least owning up to his responsibility in the matter. So long as it doesn't happen again, I'm willing to let it go, after he serves the suspension he's going to get for using illegal equipment.

Jim Albright
Re: Ichiro Speaks Out on Sosa's Corked Bat
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 6, 2003 5:07 PM | HT Fan ]

- For that reason, I doubt all of the NPB is absolutely pure in its adherence to the rules and to proper behavior as to drugs.

Good call. There's one veteran player, who may or may not play for a powerhouse team, which may or may not be based in Tokyo, who has bulked up suspiciously over the past few years. This player may or may not suffer from repeated muscle and ligament injuries, in what may or may not be an indication of steroid use.

Personally, I think he is pumped full of steriods, but that may or may not be because I'm jealous 'cos I think the guy, who may or may not hail from south Osaka, should have joined a certain team closer to home.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.