Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Is Japanese Baseball Gaining More Respect in USA?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Is Japanese Baseball Gaining More Respect in USA?
The staying power of Hideo Nomo (almost 10 years), continual success of Ichiro in MLB (many in America thought 2001 would be a fluke), and the MLB debut of Hideki Matsui has prompted me to ask the question, "Is Japanse baseball gaining more repect in the U.S.A.?" of those who knew about the high quality of NPB from the very start.

This season is not even over and many teams (including their fans) are clamouring over themselves to get Seibu Lions' shortstop Kazuo Matsui ... for next season.

Sure there has been anti-Japanese/Asian racial commments on MLB forums, but those faceless bigots do it behind a computer and true baseball fans are quick to defend their players (ex. Yankee fans - Matsui or Cubs fans - Choi).

I think that the makeup of MLB in the 21 Century will change for the better with more players coming from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc. in much the same way the makeup changed in the second half of the 20th with Black and Latino players.
Comments
Re: Is Japanese Baseball Gaining More Respect in USA?
[ Author: Guest: no | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 4:57 PM ]

I think you are so sensitive, fans in U.S.A. are relatively fair. Fans love everyone from other countries such as Venezuela, Dominica, Cuba, Korea, Japan, etc. They just don't like unfairness from some Japanese fans, who voted for Matsui over Ramirez. Do you honestly think that Matsui is better?

Japanese baseball has been very strong for over 100 years, so the respect is not changed.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 9:36 PM ]

The key word here is relatively. There are some fans that still think baseball is an American sport played best by Americans. Times have changed. There are so many Latin American players now. And there are the Japanese pitchers.

In terms of position players I believe it will be restricted to the few Japanese players with exceptional ability. And it has to be noted that in most cases a Japanese player still has to play 9 years in Japan before he can come to MLB.
[ Author: yoyogi1231 | Posted: Aug 12, 2003 1:19 PM ]

If fans in U.S.A. are "relatively fair" and "love everyone from other countries" but "just don't like unfairness from some Japanese fans who voted for Matsui over Ramiriez," then American fans on MLB message boards do have a way of venting their frustrations and anger that is considered racist to others (myself included).

To let you know that I am not making it up, check out this thread.

It makes me angry when there is racism, and you would not like racial slurs when it is directed towards your ethnicity.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 12, 2003 9:19 PM ]

You have to be naive to think you can eliminate racism completely, whether it is in baseball or anywhere else. Just be glad that we have come a long way from the days of Jackie Robinson.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Aug 13, 2003 12:49 AM ]

- You have to be naive to think you can eliminate racism completely, whether it is in baseball or anywhere else. Just be glad that we have come a long way from the days of Jackie Robinson.

On the larger points, you are probably correct. However, it is not naive to try to stamp out as much racism as possible. We may be a long way from Jackie Robinson's day, but we still have quite a way to go if we want to get where we should be. In that sense, it is anything but naive to battle racism -- much like killing cockroaches is a good idea, though you'll never get them all.

Jim Albright
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Aug 13, 2003 1:38 AM | HT Fan ]

- You have to be naive to think you can eliminate racism completely, whether it is in baseball or anywhere else. Just be glad that we have come a long way from the days of Jackie Robinson.

I suspect many people said similar things back in the '20s and '30s. "You'd have to be naive to think a black man will ever play major-league baseball." Fortunately, there are people out there who refuse to just be glad.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 13, 2003 1:10 PM ]

- It makes me angry when there is racism, and you would not like racial slurs when it is directed towards your ethnicity.

It makes you upset? Well, you just be glad that you are Japanese, which is the best country in Asia. Just look at NPB, and ask yourself, do you look down other Asians?
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Aug 14, 2003 3:03 AM ]

There are bigots everywhere. U.S. and in Japan. Just look at the famous 2ch web site. Also the sports shimbun (newspapers) in Japan do it more blatantly in public with headlines like "So and so .. dame gaijin," etc. You just have to live with this nonsense.

As for Matsui getting picked over Ramirez, I agree that Manny is a better player, but this happens all the time. I remember times when Sandy Alomar got picked year after year just because he had a successful brother named Roberto.
[ Author: Guest: Marley | Posted: Aug 19, 2003 4:44 PM ]

I can't believe that you are even asking the question!

The stars that came out of Japan are not only getting the R-E-S-P-E-C-T here, they are showing the U.S. that there is a talent pool that has been ignored for too long. Japanese players are the pride of the MLB, and if they have paved the way for more to come, than god bless them.

What a privledge we are having watching some of the finest players in the world play in the Majors - so to the Japanese baseball fans and players I say thank you! And thank you for sending us players who play hard and with skills that show our major leaguers that there is something to be learned by one of the greatest baseball cultures in the world.

Also, send Li'l Matsui next year to the Dodgers! 8)
[ Author: Guest: Will | Posted: Aug 20, 2003 5:53 AM ]

Here, here, Marley. Couldn't have said it better myself. It is a pleasure to watch players like Ichiro and Matsui play. They are fundamentally sound and exude a quiet grace that is notably absent with many other players (e.g. Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, and many others).

The only thing I'd change about your post is I want to see Kazuo with the Yanks or Mariners (I'm an AL guy).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.