Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ishii a Yankee?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ishii a Yankee?
Since Kaz Ishii has been mentioned in the Randy Johnson trade, can he become the #5 starter for the Yankees?

The LA Dodgers wanted to get rid of him to the extent that they are willing to eat all but $2 million of the $5 million that he will be paid this year. Too expensive for a relief pitcher. If the Yankees can get rid of Kevin Brown, the #5 spot should be open for Kaz.

How is his relation with Godzilla Matsui?
Comments
Re: Ishii a Yankee?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 20, 2004 12:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

- How is his relation with Godzilla Matsui?

It just so happens that yesterday's (December 19) Nikkan Sports printed how Ishii had done against Godzilla in Japan. Between 1994 and 2001, Ishii allowed 22 hits in 109 at bats (.202), striking him out 33 times and allowing just 5 home runs. Of the 25 pitchers Matsui had faced in Japan with over 50 at bats, .202 is the lowest he's hit.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 20, 2004 6:35 PM ]

- Since Kaz Ishii has been mentioned in the Randy Johnson trade, can he become the #5 starter for the Yankees?

Ishii will probably get traded, as there's no room in the Yankees' rotation for him.

- If the Yankees can get rid of Kevin Brown, the #5 spot should be open for Kaz.

Kevin Brown will most likely never get traded as he is making over $10 million. Tell me one team that wants Brown at that salary? So, Ishii will most likely not be with the Yankees for long.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 20, 2004 6:35 PM ]

There were talks that the Mets are interested in Ishii. [Link - New York Post]

Just out of curiosity, why does my post say posted on January 1, 1970?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 22, 2004 11:27 AM ]

The Dodgers today (December 21) just pulled out of the three-team trade for Johnson. Joe Urban, the agent for Ishii, told MLB.com that he hadn't heard anything from the Dodgers about his client being included in the trade. So, this will end the talks of Ishii going to the Yankees. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 23, 2004 2:54 AM ]

Ishii may still be on the move, but it will not be to the Yankees since the Dodgers upset both New York and Arizona by pulling out of the trade.

As for Brown, the Yankees will have to eat about $14 million of the $15 million to find anybody to take him. So they may as well keep him to see if he is recovered from his back problems. I believe he started the season 6-0 in 2004.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 23, 2004 2:32 PM ]

The dodgers pulled out of the Randy Johnson deal. Therefore Kaz will stay. Though I would love to have him on my team.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.