Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nakamura

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Nakamura
So, does Nakamura still have any (or did he ever) ambition to play in MLB?

As a newly minted Rakuten fan, I'd hate to see him go.
Comments
Re: Nakamura
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 22, 2005 10:02 AM ]

- So, does Nakamura still have any (or did he ever) ambition to play in MLB?

Nakamura said he wanted to move to the majors via the posting system, though Orix chose to protect Nakamura as one of the protected players, and Orix would have to post him.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 26, 2005 4:20 AM ]

I don't know why it's taken so long, but Nakamura has finally been put up for auction through the posting system. The following link seems to finally make it official. Now the only question is, where is he likely to go? I figure the Dodgers will take a flier on him. [Link - Japan Ball]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 26, 2005 8:32 AM ]

According to this article, it says that the Dodgers are supposedly interested in signing Nakamura to a minor league contract. [Link - Daily Yomiuri in English]
[ Author: SFGiantsFan | Posted: Jan 26, 2005 8:43 AM ]

According to that link, Kintetsu posted him. I thought he was listed under Rakuten on this web site?

Did Rakuten inherit some/all of the former BlueWaves?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 26, 2005 11:02 AM ]

"I thought he was listed under Rakuten on this web site?"

Nakamura is with the Orix Buffaloes.
[ Author: SFGiantsFan | Posted: Jan 27, 2005 1:40 AM ]

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll look for a place on the site to report the roster error.
[ Author: Guest: Rufus T Firefly | Posted: Jan 31, 2005 4:47 PM ]

Some guys are just asking for trouble. I don't think he should embarass himself in MLB. Nori seems to be on the decline. The Dodgers already have a rather expensive third baseman. Isn't this dream stuff being carried too far?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 1, 2005 7:34 AM ]

- The Dodgers already have a rather expensive third baseman.

If you're talking about Adrian Beltre, he's in Seattle now. Our only third baseman currently is former Cicago White Sox Jose Valentin, who is declining in power. Nakamura would easily post good enough numbers at that position to find a spot on the Dodgers, sharing playing time with Valentin this season.
[ Author: Guest: Rufus T Firefly | Posted: Feb 1, 2005 8:45 AM ]

DePostesta went out a spent a fair amount of money signing Valentin, who is declining. One would figure after Nori had his tryout with the Dodgers last spring that they would have penciled him in from the start, rather than signing Valentin.

If Nori is happy being a part timer, splitting time with an old medicocre third baseman, that's not saying much for Nori or his dream. It seems that he'd be better off being the stud-muffin in NPB than a second string scrub making $500k plus incentives backing up Valentin.

It's his life, so whatever floats his boat is fine.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 1, 2005 10:40 AM ]

- If Nori is happy being a part timer, splitting time with an old medicocre third baseman, that's not saying much for Nori or his dream. It seems that he'd be better off being the stud-muffin in NPB than a second string scrub making $500k plus incentives backing up Valentin.

If Nakamura makes the team, it could be said that Valentin [Baseball Reference] would be traded as Nakamura would come as a bargin. Valentin batted .216 last year, with 30 HR, but only 70 RBI. He only had a .287 OBP. This isn't very useful, and he also struck out 139 times in 450 AB's last year. Also, Valentin has only a .941 fielding percentage at third base. With Valentin making a high $3.5 million next year, it looks very possible that he could be on the move.
[ Author: SFGiantsFan | Posted: Feb 2, 2005 1:17 AM ]

Dodgers won the rights to negotiate. Looks like Nakamura will get a minor league deal, with an out clause if he doesn't make the team. This article [MLB.com] says he'd be competing with Olmedo Saenz (guaranteed contract) as a backup at third, or insurance for Hee Seop Choi at first.

With that contract, Valentin might not be tradeable.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 2, 2005 3:51 AM ]

The Dodgers won the rights to negotiate with Nakamura. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: Der Komminsk-sar | Posted: Feb 1, 2005 7:42 AM ]

Easy to say when it's not your dream.

How much of Nakamura's decline the last two years appeared "real," versus transitory injuries or a possible reversion from a prior hot streak (00-02)?
[ Author: Guest: Richard Kiley | Posted: Feb 1, 2005 8:52 AM ]

For Nakamura-san.

To dream the impossible dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To bear with unbearable sorrow,
To run where the brave dare not go.

To right the unrightable wrong,
To love pure and chaste from afar,
To try when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star.

This is my quest,
To follow that star --
No matter how hopeless,
No matter how far.

To fight for the right
Without question or pause,
To be willing to march
Into hell for a heavenly cause.

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will be peaceful and calm
when I'm laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this,
that one man scorned and covered with scars
still strove with his last ounce of courage.

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go.

To right the unrightable wrong
To be better far than you are
To try when your arms are too weary

This is my quest, to follow that star,
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far
To be willing to give when there's no more to give
To be willing to die so that honor and justice may live

And I know if I'll only be true to this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm when I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage

[Editor Note: Please site source.]
[ Author: Guest: Richard Kiley | Posted: Feb 2, 2005 1:44 AM ]

Lyrics to "The Impossible Dream"
Play by Dale Wasserman
Music by Mitch Leigh
Lyrics by Joe Darion
Derived from the classic Spanish novel, Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes.
Opened November 22, 1965 at the Anta Washington Square Theatre, (New York) and ran for 2329 performances.

Very suitable for karaoke.

Yes, Valentin was a poor signing. At $3.5 million, he may be hard to move. The job may be Nori's for the taking. That may also be the easier part.

[From Admin: Thank you for the detailed site.]
[ Author: Guest: zbadd | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 11:03 AM ]

He just signed a deal with the Dodgers, no surprise. Good fit for him. I think he will beat out Valentin. He needs to have a good year to have a better contract. He has tough shoes to fill, though, and playing in a pitcher's park, he might not put up such big numbers. But if he gets 25 HRs and 75-80 RBIs, that will be impressive.
[ Author: Guest: Der Komminsk-sar | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 11:15 AM ]

He's a Dodger. [Link - Yahoo! News]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 3:20 AM ]

Another in the list of bad moves by the Dodgers since last year when the new GM stepped in. Trading Mota and the catcher. Then almost making a trade with the Yankees/Arizona. Then not signing Beltran. Then over paying for Derek Lowe and Drew. I would not be surprised if Nakamura is a flop.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 9:15 AM ]

I was checking out RotoWorld and found this:
Dodgers signed third baseman Norihiro Nakamura to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. Early indications are that the deal doesn't include an out clause, meaning he will report to Triple-A Las Vegas if he doesn't make the team. He's probably battling Olmedo Saenz for one bench spot. Feb. 3 - 6:29 pm et
Nakamura in AAA as a possibility means he wants to play in MLB pretty badly, considering the risk he's taking. I would think that he would have wanted to re-establish his value in Japan after a couple of off years, rather than sign a modest minor league contract with a spring invitation from the Dodgers.

Good luck. He has a long road to hoe.
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Feb 5, 2005 9:06 AM ]

The interesting thing about Nori to me is that he gave up a guaranteed 10 million dollars or so to cross the sea. It indicates to me that he has a lot of motivation. I don't think he would have given all that up to come over here and play AAA ball. He himself, at least, must think he can make the team now that he has healed from his injuries. I wonder if his team was happy to unload that fat contract, too? Even if the Dodgers only offered them a dollar, they can save 10 million or so from his salary.
[ Author: daigo51 | Posted: Feb 6, 2005 12:59 PM | CD Fan ]

Am I too naive to think that he really didn't wanted to play for the new Orix team that bought his original team, Kintetsu? I personally think it is very cool that he makes his point by not joining the merged team. He is taking a huge paycut to play in the Majors.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 5, 2005 2:29 AM ]

My Bad. The catcher's name is LoDuca. And it was Beltre.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 5, 2005 10:48 AM ]

Taken from section B on The 2005 Review of NPB Free Agents, Posted Players, and Players to Watch [Baseball Guru]:

- No players have been posted at this time. No team has, to my knowledge, agreed to post any player this season. If either of the previous two sentences become invalid, this section will be updated promptly.

I like your stuff, Jim, but you never updated, dawg.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 6, 2005 4:35 AM ]

Well, it just happened - and my computer's not behaving well. If I was getting paid for this you'd deserve better, but I've never gotten a dime for this - and in this case, you're getting what you've paid for.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 12:49 AM ]

Here's the update for Nakamura. [Link - Baseball Guru]

I also added Arias, and will soon do it for Petagine.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.