Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nakamura assigned to AAA Las Vegas

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Nakamura assigned to AAA Las Vegas
Norihiro Nakamura was assigned to AAA Las Vegas. Nakamura batted .295 (13 for 44) with 3 HR and 8 RBI in spring training [Spring Stats - MLB.com]. Nakamura said he will talk to his agent and decide on what to do next. He said he is considering moving to another club or returning to Japan. Nakamura will tell the Dodgers Sunday if he accepts the assignment to AAA Las Vegas. [Link - Japan Ball]
Comments
Re: Nakamura assigned to AAA Las Vegas
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 4, 2005 10:59 PM ]

Nakamura suffered bruised ribs on a slide, Sunday (April 4). [Link - MLB.com]
Re: Nakamura assigned to AAA Las Vegas
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 6, 2005 12:06 AM ]

Nakamura said he accepted his assignment to AAA Las Vegas. Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta said "it would not be that long" about his wait to reaching the majors. Link - MLB.com]
Re: Nakamura Assigned to AAA Las Vegas
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Apr 6, 2005 2:18 PM ]

Dodger are a bunch of boneheads! Valentin (worst batting average of any starting position player last year) and Choi stink. They trade their starting catcher and middle relief pitcher last year in a stupid trade. In my opinion, Nakamura will be playing for the Dodgers by late May or early June of 2005. I am still not sure why they assigned him to AAA Las Vegas. I hope he gets a fair chance to succeed in LA.
[ Author: japfan | Posted: Apr 6, 2005 4:26 PM ]

The reason Nakamura isn't currently playing in LA is that they wanted to start the season with 12 pitchers and have guaranteed contracts to Valentin and Saenz. Thay also wouldn't want to expose (and probably lose) another young player like Antonio Perez. I also think Nori will play some time soon in Dodger Stadium because the players before him will play so poorly that LA bosses will be forced to call him up.
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Apr 10, 2005 6:57 PM ]

In three games so far with the AAA Las Vegas 51s Nori has gone 5 for 10 with 2 homers and 6 RBIs. Here is the homepage of the 51s: Link.

For the Dodgers:

Valentin is 5 for 13 with 2 homers and 6 BBs but already has 3 fielding errors in 10 total chances. I believe this is his first time playing third base. He used to be a shortstop.

Choi is 1 for 12 with 2 BBs.

Saenz is 4 for 8 with 2 doubles and 2 BBs.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 11, 2005 1:02 AM ]

- I believe this is his first time playing third base.

Valentin has played 151 games at third base in his career, with a .941 fielding percentage coming into this year. [Link - Baseball Reference]
Re: Nakamura Recalled from AAA Las Vegas
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 11, 2005 3:25 AM ]

Nakamura was re-called from AAA Las Vegas when infielder Antonio Perez was placed on the DL. Nakamura was batting .500 with 2 HR and 6 RBI with Las Vegas. [Link - MLB.com] [Minor League Stats - MinorLeagueBaseball.com]
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Apr 11, 2005 12:12 PM ]

Nakamura collected a hit in his first official Major League at bat in Sunday's game at Arizona. Nori was used as a pinch hitter for pitcher Kelly Wunsch with 2 outs and nobody on in the 8th inning. The Dodgers lost 5-4.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Apr 12, 2005 12:12 AM ]

I think if Nakamura can do his best and maintain his batting average around .280, then Tracy would have a hard time trying to send him down to AAA again when Perez is back. And if Choi doesn't start hitting soon, he'll be the one that's out, considering two teams from the past gave up on him by his frustrating batting average.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Apr 29, 2005 10:26 AM ]

Funny how two weeks changed so fast, Choi has found his stroke at the plate while Nakamura, who had a good start, only has had 1 hit and 2 RBIs in his last 20 ABs. I hope Nakamura can pick it up offensely soon.
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Apr 30, 2005 3:33 AM ]

I watched Nakamura a couple of nights ago. After watching a couple of "at bats," I wonder how he ever hit any outside pitch. After his stride, his front foot is soooo far away from the plate that there is no way he can hit an outside pitch. Even Joe Morgan, who was announcing the game, made this comment. During the game, Nakamura received a "diet" of outside fastballs and breaking pitches.

His situation is kind of weird in that he did hit fairly well during spring training and also, of course, in Japan. If he doesn't do something different, I think that he may lose his roster spot.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Apr 30, 2005 1:48 PM ]

Pitchers didn't have the scouting report on him. Now they have his number. It will be a long summer for Nori if he doesn't adjust. It may also be a hot summer, in Las Vegas for him as well.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.