Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ichiro: 5'9

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ichiro: 5'9"/160 lbs?
There was a good article about Ichiro in the Kansas City paper today (Link). In it, it says that Ichiro is 5'9"/160 lbs. I've said this before on another post, but I really don't think Ichiro weighs only 160 lbs. I think he's more like 5'10"/175 lbs.

It's funny because Bret Boone is listed at 5'11" when he's only a hair taller than Ichiro or about the same height as him. Either Boone lists his height NBA style, or Ichiro's height was incorrectly converted from centimeters to inches.
Comments
Re: Ichiro: 5'9"/160 lbs?
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Apr 15, 2005 1:22 AM ]

Ichiro is 5'11" 172 lbs. He's listed at 180 cm, that's 5'11" if you convert it.

I guess he listed himself smaller when he first came try to make pitchers think he's someone who's easy to pitch to, and they just never bothered to check how tall he really is.

On the other hand, look what American food has done to Nomo! He came to the U.S. ten years ago around 200 lbs, but has gained 35 lbs. My mother said "wow, Nomo looks fat" when I was watching a game around 2001-2002 (where he was around 235 already) and that was the first time she saw him on TV since 1997.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 15, 2005 8:21 AM ]

According to MLB.com, Ichiro Suzuki is listed at 5'9 and 170. A 2002 baseball card of mine listed Ichiro at 5'9 also. [MLB.com Profile]
[ Author: Guest: bob whiting | Posted: Apr 16, 2005 7:09 AM ]

For what it's worth, when I interviewed Ichiro in 2001, standing shoulder to shoulder with him for photos, I noted that he appeared to be my height, which is 5' 11", not 5'9". (He was wearing the same kind of ordinary steet shoes I was.) He said that the 5'9" listing was erroneous, that he was indeed 180 centimeters. One of his numerous handlers on the scene speculated that bad math was behind the error, which would have to be corrected. Also, for what it's worth, he didn't look like he weighed 175 pounds - more like 160-165. But it was at the end of a long season, so maybe he had lost a little weight. Who really knows?
[ Author: Guest: semajllibfonaf | Posted: Apr 16, 2005 7:05 AM ]

My 1999 Orix game poster lists Ichiro at 180cm/70kg, which of course converts to 5'9"/155lbs. I have no idea why he or anyone would reduce the height listed since he was a rookie, though I've read this same odd (and, at times, rather acccusingly paranoid) claim quite often in the US press and blogs.

It seems like nonsense, is what I'm saying. And yet... I was at a "Fan-Fest" on the field with Ichiro in '97 with my son, and was rather startled when standing next to Ichiro to see how tall he seemed (I actually am 5'11"-plus). He was wearing spikes and a cap, but still he seemed much taller than I'd expected.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Apr 16, 2005 9:25 AM ]

180 cm = 5'11", not 5'9".
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Apr 17, 2005 11:27 AM ]

How many centimetres is a inch anyways? I always thought it was 2.5, but I guess I'm wrong. 1 foot = 30 cm. 1 foot = 12 inches. 30 divided by 12 = 2.5. Am I right or am I right?
Please Use 2.54 cm per Inch
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 17, 2005 7:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

Time to go back to high school math and review a concept of "significant digits." Assuming 180cm is Ichiro's correct hight, let's convert this to inches via two methods: 2.5cm/inch (two significan digits) and 2.54cm/inch (three significant digits, and the more often used figure).

180 / 2.5 = 72 inches = 6 feet
180 / 2.54 = 70.8661417 inches = 5 feet 10.9 inches

Then, ask Google what 180cm in inches is: 70.8661417 inches (same as above).

As you can see, the more significant digits there are, the shorter he gets. Still, all of these come out closer to 5'11" than 5'9".

By the way, Google is great for metric conversions. Just enter "160kph in mph" (without the quotes) into Google's search box and it will do the conversion for you. It works for distances (heights), weights, speeds, volumes, temperatures, etc. My wife uses this for converting her U.S. recipies to metrics. Understanding the math behind the conversions is a Good Thing. But to get it in a hurry, Google knows all.
Re: Please Use 2.54 cm per Inch
[ Author: Guest: semajllibfonaf | Posted: Apr 18, 2005 6:44 PM ]

Hmm. I actually used Google, but clearly not properly. That explains the personal surprise on meeting him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.