Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kazuo Matsui = Bust (Year Two)

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kazuo Matsui = Bust (Year Two)
This topic was such a big hit last year, I thought it would be nifty to deja vu it all over again.

Are there any defenders remaining who think he needs more time to adjust to the American game, grass infields, and the sort? Or is he just a bust whose alleged five tool game in Japan translates into a submediocrity in the US?

His move to second base this season is pretty bad. He really has zero range. He cannot backhand a ball, which makes going into the hole always an adventure. His reaction time is amazingly slow.

My hunch has always been that he's just having horrible trouble with his eyesight. That would explain why such a supposedly "speed" guy plays so slow and is overmatched in the field and in the batter's box. He was diagnosed with astygmatism last season and refused to wear goggles during games, citing discomfort. He was fitted for contacts this February (why so late?), which have done nothing to improve his play. They've even been blamed for scratching his cornea.

Mets fans have long thrown in the towel on Kaz. The shock of such a disappointment in view of the prior hype has faded. Fans just want him to sit. They're chanting for journeyman/utilityman Miguel Cairo, which is sad, but I have no doubt Cairo could do a much better job defensively, while at least matching Matsui offensively.

On the farm, the Mets have a top prospect second baseman in Jeff Keppinger at AAA. He's a pure linedrive hitter out of the University of Georgia, a Marcus Giles mold with less power. Only questions are regarding his glove, but when he was called up last summer, he looked pretty impressive in the field. The only roadblock is Kaz and his contract. The Mets are notoriously dumb in stubbornly keeping players in the lineup based on their salaries.

Can the Mets trade Kaz? I really can't fathom many players with less value out there, even if the Mets swallow a chunk of his remaining money. Then again, I'm a myopic Mets fan, but really, who needs a middle infielder who is a terrible fielder, has a minimal bat with little plate awareness, and has no usable speed? His hype is evaporated. The novelty of being a former Japanese star has shrunk.

Would Japanese teams jump over themselves at a chance to buy back Kazuo? Maybe they would. Maybe that's a possible deal. Just buy back Kaz's remaining contract so the Mets could wash their hands clean?
Comments
Re: Kazuo Matsui = Bust (Year Two)
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 28, 2005 9:48 AM ]

- Or is he just a bust whose alleged five tool game in Japan translates into a submediocrity in the US?

Matsui is far from a bust. While he isn't a five tool talent player, so Mets fans were expecting way too much if they expected Matsui to be a five-tool talent player. Also, so far Matsui has hit in his last 7 games, so I think Kaz deserves some credit there.

- His move to second base this season is pretty bad.

So far Matsui only has 2 errors this year, that's a pretty good year so far. I think Kaz will have a great year at second offensively and defensively.

- They're chanting for journeyman/utilityman Miguel Cairo

Like I said before, it's very unlikely that Miguel Cairo will outperform Kaz Matsui.

- Can the Mets trade Kaz?

Mets are very unlikely to trade Kazuo Matsui because of his 27-team no trade clause, which says that Kaz can only be traded to the Dodgers, Yankees, or Angels.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Apr 29, 2005 2:19 AM ]

There are two things I see with Matsui.

1 - He can't field to the right. I don't know if it's because he's so used to playing shortstop and relied on the third baseman to cover his right or whatever, but he really needs to train in that area.

2 - He doesn't dive whatsoever, which the sterotypical sport journalist assumes that all Japanese players aren't allowed to dive.

Also, he can spray the ball around, but needs some discipline at the plate, as well as Reyes, so he can be on base more often.

I'm a Mets fan and I don't understand why Mets fans are after Kaz when some of the other players have equal troubles? We pay Mike Piazza $16 million for this season, yet he has no arm whatsoever. Glavine is getting old and losing his stuff while he is being paid $7 million. Beltran has yet to show that clutch hitting he's known for and we're paying him $11+ million this season. And Victor Diaz is horrendous at fielding the ball, yet he's suppose to be the next big thing.

If Mets fans, including me, are going to complain, we need to complain about the overall team instead of picking on one player.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Apr 29, 2005 2:34 AM ]

Dude, when you come over here and continuously refer to Kaz as a bust, you are rubbing NPB fans noses in the shite. If a guy like Jose Reyes went to Japan and was a big disappointment, such that Japanese fans went to the Mets board and posted how big of a bust he was, you might not be thrilled. Kaz is a symbol and knocking him harshly is probably closer to spitting on the red white and blue. Put yourself in an avid NPB fan's shoes.

Kaz may have a limited no trade clause, but he might waive it under the right situation.

Here's another question. Can the Mets trade Kaz to an NPB team during the season, with his consent of course? I don't think that's ever been done. I suppose the consideration might be cash and not a player. Kaz can't be having any fun, and if orchestrated right, a triumphal return to NPB to help a team win might resolve this situation to everyone's satisfaction.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: May 1, 2005 4:49 PM ]

Kaz's defense is just plain horrible. I never watched him played in Japan so I don't how good a fielder he was.

His offense is okay. I don't know what are everyone's, especially Mets fans', standards on him being a bust or not.

As long he cuts down his errors to about 20 or less while maintaining a .280 batting average, I'll be happy.

Like A-Rod's commercial here in the US, New York is a tough crowd.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: May 14, 2005 12:25 PM ]

I'm a big Kaz fan, but after two more errors today, I'm starting to wonder just when he will "grow into" second base. The boo boys at Shea are all over him now which sure isn't helping!
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: May 14, 2005 4:12 PM ]

I'm a big fan of Kaz also. But his play reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch before his switch to the outfield.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 16, 2005 12:12 AM ]

Kaz is still trying to tough it out in Flushing [New York Daily News]. You have to at least give the guy some props for trying.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 18, 2005 5:12 AM ]

I guess Kaz is the story du jour. The New York Times ran a story today on his trials, with a quote from Robert Whiting. [News - Registration Required]
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 19, 2005 12:28 AM ]

OK, so I am talking to myself, so what?

Kaz was the hero last night at Shea, hitting a game winning homer in the 7th. The other Kaz, Ishii, pitched a splendid game, after coming off the DL. It was "Asian Night" (really - a promotion) and Ishii thought that was noteworthy.

Kazuo Matsui seems to be coming around a bit. The guy doesn't quit. They were cheering him at Shea for a change. The goat of the night was Carlos Beltran, (7 years, $119m) who hit into a double play to end a small rally. So figure.

A strange incident was the appearence of Dae Sung Koo, a Mets reliever from Korea. He never hit in MLB before. He barely stood in the batter's box and lamely took strikes without even trying. He wants to be announced as "Mr. Koo" by the way. Mr. Chicken might be a better name.

Here is the story: [News - New York Times - registration required]
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 19, 2005 12:59 AM ]

Here are some nice post-game quotes from some of Matsui-san's team mates (from Mets web site):
"We were happy to see it go out for him," Floyd said of Matsui. "Every man in here wants to see him succeed, and not just because it helps us when he does. He's a good dude. You feel for him when they get on him."

"He's the most mentally tough person in here," Doug Mientkiewicz said. "He battles it every night."
[ Author: himself | Posted: May 19, 2005 10:32 AM | FSH Fan ]

Bottom line: When an athlete makes the cover of ESPN Magazine's "Next" issue (I still have the cover, by the way), he'll be expected to do much more than he can imagine doing.

Kazuo needs time more than anything else, or to have all the attention go to the other Matsui in town and have none on himself so he can actually concentrate on improving.
[ Author: ConditionOakland | Posted: May 20, 2005 9:13 AM | HT Fan ]

Pitchers never usually swing - unless they are use to it. Sometimes pitchers are told not to swing as well.

ASIAN NIGHT? Huhhh? Why was it Asian Night? Asians get in free?
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: May 20, 2005 1:23 PM ]

They've had Asian Night annually for severals years that I know of. It's just a night where they honor Asian culture heritage in the stadium. All of the music they play is oriental related during that game I believe.

I heard they had some sort of martial art exhibit during the game.
Yankee Night?
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 20, 2005 2:32 PM ]

Does any Japanese team have Yankee Doodle Dandy Night?

There could be:
  • An exhibition of large, gas guzzling SUVs
  • Sousa music played between innings
  • Pork skins
  • A Young Miss Diabetes Pageant
  • Biggest Texas Cowboyhat contest (all hat, no cattle)
  • A prayer breakfast before (during and after) the game
Watch out folks. I will be in Japan this weekend. Keep an eye on the gaijin (the ones Ishihara says are all criminals or something perjorative). One you see may be The Duke.
Re: Yankee Night?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 20, 2005 3:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

While you're trying to be funny, there actually has been a "Yankee Day" for many years. The Yankees used to have a working agreement with the Nippon Ham Fighters and would sponsor the giving away of tickets to a day game at Tokyo Dome to the English reading community via one of those English newspapers that I don't read.

Since the Yankees dropped the Ham and got a working arrangement with the Giants, I think the Diamondbacks have picked up sponsorship of the event.

The "special" thing about "Yankee Day" (and now "Diamondback Day") is that the oen-dan doesn't play music and sing their cheers, making for more of a Major League style of watching. Also, the journalist who puts out word of the event announces the players over the PA. That's Yankee Day.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 20, 2005 10:45 PM ]

Trying to be funny? Ouch! I will have to try harder next time.

Thanks for the information on D-Backs Day. If the oen-dan aren't active, then it must make for a quiet game. If they renamed it "Gaijin Night" and offered some cheap beer, some North American English teachers and wayward irreverent types like myself might show up and heckle the players. Of course, there would have to be a special pamphlet printed to translate some good heckling into Japanese.

I usually prefer the decorum at NPB games over MLB games these days. I can do without the insults and occasional object throwing to tell you the truth.
In Matsui's Defense
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: May 21, 2005 5:39 PM ]

OK. I've defended this guy when my friends have been bagging Matsui, but after today's error which prevented a routine inning ending double play and lead to the go ahead run, I can't do it anymore.

His defence is simply not up to MLB standard. He was a gold glover in Japan! What happened? Is it because of all the games he played in Pacific League ballparks (usually artificial turf) and he cant make the adjustment?

Whatever, the Mets have a huge hole at second base and I've run out of patience waiting for this "adjustment."
Re: In Matsui's Defense
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: May 22, 2005 6:36 AM ]

Don't let NPB fans tell you that it's because he is playing a new position. Second base is easier to play than shortstop. Willie R. won't say so now, because it's early in the season, but to play this way against the Yankees is enough to get fired. A lot of talk on WFAN radio says Kazuo won't be in MLB for year three.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 22, 2005 8:39 AM ]

Actually, I think Kaz is coming around, but he went down in today's game with a stiff upper back. Hopefully, it's not too serious. But yes, he remains an enigma, with the difference between NPB stardom and MLB mediocrity being too great a gap to understand. I refuse to buy into the notion of adjustment as well.

I also have to give props to Mr. Koo today. I chided him the other day for lamely taking 3 strikes without taking the bat off his shoulder and hardly being in the batters box. Today, he got his first MLB hit, a powerful double off the great Randy Johnson (who was quite hitable today). After taking third on a bunt, he daringly broke for home when no one was covering the plate. He made a head first slide under Posada's tag. Gotta love it.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 22, 2005 9:22 AM ]

- Don't let NPB fans tell you that it's because he is playing a new position. Second base is easier to play than shortstop.

Also, don't let Mets fans say that switching to a position Matsui never played to last year is an easy transition either. Some (not of all) Mets fans are hypocrites if they believe otherwise that it's not hard for Matsui to make the transition to second after playing shortstop all of his NPB career and his first year in the majors. A lot of the problem is that Mets fans are trying to pin someone as the scapegoat for their problems, with the case in point: Kazuo Matsui, when there are many other ones, too, such as Jose Reyes, Mike Piazza, and Tom Glavine. Also some Mets fans are hypocrites to use the defense that Reyes is a young player and is just learning.

- Willie R. won't say so now, because it's early in the season, but to play this way against the Yankees is enough to get fired.

Today's win by the Mets over the Yankees is enough to get Torre fired (but it won't happen). The Mets beat the Yankees 7-1 today, Dae Sung Koo hit a double off Randy Johnson, and Miguel Cairo hit a home run off of him. So making assumptions that Willie Randolph won't say Matsui's play is up to what some Mets fans want him to say because the Mets are losing games, and then use the assumption that Willie Randolph will get fired because of Matsui's perfomance. A team is a combination of 25 players, not 1.

- A lot of talk on WFAN radio says Kazuo won't be in MLB for year three.

A lot of the talk on WFAN radio shouldn't even be taken with a grain of salt (neither should this rumor). Matsui will be with the Mets for year three. Kaz Matsui has a 27-team no-trade clause. How hard is that for Mets fans to understand? The only three teams not on that list are the Dodgers, Angels, and Yankees who are in no need of a shortstop/second baseman. All in all, Kaz should have signed with a team like the Seattle Mariners instead of going to play in Shea.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: May 24, 2005 1:59 AM ]

Year 3 has nothing to do with his no-trade clause. Kazuo will be back in NPB for 2006, and it won't be with the Lions. The Mets will release his contract for the top reliever (right now) in NPB, which I am sure you know who it is. Also, that team will get $2.5 USD. The Mets will also designate a AA player from the Dominican Replublic to play in NPB to gain hitting skills on breaking balls. Watch the Baseball America program. I am sure you'll see more on this.
[ Author: Gaijin84 | Posted: May 22, 2005 10:24 AM ]

I am a Met fan and am still waiting for Matsui to come into his own. I agree, though, with the former poster who commented on his huge error against the Yankees that pretty much turned the tide in the game against the Mets.

I have begun to think that Kazuo has become mentally unable to play in New York. The expectations were huge when he was coming in, mostly due to the amount of hype and praise that the Mets lavished on him. His insistence on playing short, forcing the Reyes move and then not playing solid defense did not ingratiate him to the fans at all. In addition, he hasn't had a real signature moment that has gotten the fans behind him.

I was a huge fan of Shinjo's when he was on the Mets, and although he only had decent overall stats, he seemed to come up with a huge amount of clutch hits and incredible defensive plays that really solidified him as a fan favorite. He also played with a ton of enthusiasm and charisma.

I really root for Matsui to come up with some big moments that turn the tide for him. I hope that he hasn't been so tainted mentally by the booing and negative talk that he overthinks his play on the field and at the plate. I think the turn-around can happen this year, but only if Willie sticks with him through the tough times.

That said, however, if Matsui ends this year in the .250 range with 20+ errors I'm afraid his time in New York will be over.
[ Author: Guest: Fred Shimizu | Posted: May 23, 2005 10:48 AM ]

I think that one element that we may be overlooking is the pounding that Kaz takes at the hands or voices of the announcers. I think that there has never been a player in the New York City area, in any sport, who was such "open game" to the announcers which, in my mind, is highly instrumental in inciting the fans. Recently I heard Ted Robinson reference Matsui's "alleged speed." While his overall reputation, prior to one and one quarter's years worth of exposure could qualify as being alleged, after the same time period one could see or not see whether or not a player indeed has speed.

This whole dissmissive and disrepectful attitude is boderline racist in as much as there is probably little forum for Kaz to defend and/or explain himself. He likely does not even realize the extent in which he is bashed - vilified even - to the fans by the expert commentators.

Can you, for instance, imagine even a remotely similar level criticism in terms of quantity and relentlessness leveled at say Jeff Kent or Bobby Bo? It is hard for me to imagine even a fraction of this in those or any other instances. Yet Kazuo is subject to this because either he doesn't know about (likely) or doesn't feel he can or even should defend himself.

My contention is that because the announcers have absolutley no fear of backlash of any sort, they feel at ease to say whatever they want and are quick to point out every shortcoming from wearing the wrong type spikes (probable), to eyesight (possible), to cultural, but largly to being over-rated. Like any other sport, actually anything else in life, confidence is everything.

At the begining of the year Willie and the coaches, particularly Alomar, were vehement in expecting Kaz to hit down on the ball and "use his speed." This got him into the bad habits that he was able to cure at the later part of last year, particularly swinging at low inside pitch from the left side. The guy is a gap hitter. He hit a bunch of doubles last year with his normal stroke.

In the stands there are even uglier sprinklings of racism. "Send him back to Japan," and the unacceptable term "Jap" is heard frequently. While I am sure that "send him back to the Congo" or some variation was heard by Jackie Robinson, it wasn't from Dodger fans. I am quite certain that Jackie's trials did not include booing from an entire stadium. I don't really think Matsui deserves this. Nor do I recall Met fans request that Roberto Alomar be sent back to Puerto Rico or Mo Vaughn to Connecticut.

It certainly doen't help Matsui's case that Cairo, a capable replacement, looms near in the background. I think more than anything else the errors stoke the fire. I wonder how different the perception would be if Doug M.'s error happened first.

Speaking of which, while Doug M. is, in my mind, a welcome addition. He is a classic counterpoint to illustrate my case. His hitting has been counterproductive of late with his batting average quite unacceptable. Yet he has become, almost immediately, for whatever reason, the media spokesman. Actually, more than anything else, this is the way he is most like Keith Hernandez. So there is hardly a mention of his lack of hitting.

I do think that Matsui is a hitter in the .280 range with some punch. I am confounded not as much as by the inability to backhand the ball but he seems to have trouble with hard hit balls right at him and his inability to extend himself. This looks bad to the fans. I think that he is not given credit for learning to turn the the double play - he wasn't used to spikes coming at him. He's also not given credit for timely hitting (particularly so last year) but mostly for "hanging in there."

I mistakenly thought that this was the tenent of American sports and one that is most celebrated by fans and sports announcers alike.
[ Author: Gaijin84 | Posted: May 24, 2005 5:34 AM ]

I'm beginning to think the same thing about the racism. Although I have to commend Gary Cohen for backing up Matsui on the Mets broadcasts, I've heard a few callers (granted not smart fans, but the sentiment is out there) already on WFAN saying that they don't think that the Mets should ever get another Japanese player. While this is obviously ridiculous, it seems to be a pervasive thought pattern. Why this is directed at Japanese players only makes no sense whatsoever. I really think that Matsui would be happier playing in another city where the pressure is not so intense and the backlash is so exaggerated.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 25, 2005 8:12 AM ]

- Year 3 has nothing to do with his no-trade clause. Kazuo will be back in NPB for 2006, and it won't be with the Lions.

Please don't make assumptions. Kaz will be with the Mets until the Mets' front office tells us Matsui won't be with the team in 2006.

- I really think that Matsui would be happier playing in another city where the pressure is not so intense and the backlash is so exaggerated.

I really think that Kaz would be better playing in a market where the fans aren't so hypocritical in their comments and criticism. Kaz would be better playing for a team like the Mariners. It would be a confident boost for Kaz to get away from the hypocritical Shea crowd who want to label Kaz as their scapegoat, when there are many more deserving ones (such as Piazza, Glavine, and Mientkiewicz). If Mets fans are going to complain, remember that a team is a team with 25 players on it, just not one.

- 2005 stats for Floyd: BA .288, HR 12 and a team leading 29 RBIs from 38 games! If thats flamed out, give me more of these "wash ups.

Though as the month of May, Floyd has batted .194 (14-72) with 6 HR and 8 RBI. So, Floyd is starting to fall off. [Stats - MLB.com]

- NPB teams on the other hand are way too quick to dispose foreign talent. Usually one month of subpar performance is enough for the team to ship the guy back to where ever he came from, while they'd give endless chances to Japanese players. It's ironic that this is never mentioned in the Japanese media.

Remember the 4 foriegn player limit for NPB teams. If a foreign player has a subpar season in Japan the team can't stick with him forever and pay his salary when he isn't contributing much to the team, especially when they can fill that spot with another foreign nationality or Japanese nationality.

- Is Kaz's contract something the Mets can't get out of?

It is very unlikely that the Mets are getting out of Kaz's $7 million a year contract. Remember the Mets' front office signed the ink on this contract.
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: May 23, 2005 1:40 PM | CD Fan ]

D-Backs Day was pretty much what you described except worse - half of my fellow teachers looked like they just woke up and went to the game. One guy tried to start the wave - which was a miserable failure, and then the YMCA song came on and that was pathetic.

I also never liked when people go to games wearing the gear of teams that aren't playing. I understand wearing the MLB stuff, but why show up in a Carp jersey to a Rakuten/Fighters game? It's just a personal hangup I guess.

Piazza has stunk for years, Floyd flamed out, Cameron did nothing. I believe they make a lot more than Kaz. Why aren't they banging on them as much? If I was Kaz, I'd waive the no trade and go play in a place with no pressure and prove I belong. Why not go pad your stats in Kansas City for a while?

No matter what he does (barring .400) he's not going to be accepted in New York. They hate him. I'd love to see him in a San Francisco uniform. He could learn from a great shortstop and get some time at second with a frail Durham. He could bat 8th and relax.
No Blame in Game Three of Yankee Series
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: May 23, 2005 9:35 PM ]

Well you can't blame Matsui for this loss. The Mets lost the last game of the Subway Series 5-3. And who was is to blame for the lost? Jose Reyes.

Anyway, Mets fan are known to do this to players, so it comes as no suprise. They sign someone that they think is the best player out there and when he makes one error they call for his release or trade. Mike Cameron is a great fielder and is hitting the ball great, yet they want to trade him and put Victor Diaz, who is horrendous in the outfield, because he hit a couple of balls in early April. Now Mets fans want Barry Zito who is doing horrible with a 5+ ERA because obviously 8 starting pitchers in the Mets' lineup isn't enough for Mets Fans.

This is what happens when people get to excited too quickly. If I was Matsui, I would ask the front office to share playing time with Cairo. Because the more Mets fans see Matsui the more negative backlash he will get. Especially now since he made a huge error in a hype match-up against the Yankees.
Re: No Blame in Game Three of Yankee Series
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: May 23, 2005 11:45 PM ]

- Piazza has stunk for years, Floyd flamed out, Cameron did nothing. I believe they make a lot more than Kaz.

Piazza has already started getting his fair share of boos, particularly when it comes to his inablity to throw out base stealers at second.

2005 stats for Floyd: BA .288, HR 12 and a team leading 29 RBIs from 38 games! If thats flamed out, give me more of these "wash ups."

Cameron has just come back and has hit 4 home runs over 15 games, a slugging percentage .643 with a batting average of .339. Did nothing? First Mets center fielder ever to hit 30 home runs in a season last year! Still did nothing?

Kazuo is getting booed because he stinks, playing the race card is ignorant and a cheap shot regarding comments made by a previous poster. New York fans are tough, but they know baseball and he has been judged on his merits, or lack there of.

While I have defended Kaz, it's become clear that he won't succeed in New York. He's not playing well and it's hard to see a player bust out of his offensive/defensive miseries with everyone down his throat.
[ Author: Guest: Something Lions | Posted: May 24, 2005 3:12 PM ]

I have always liked Kaz, ever since his days with the Lions. And I like the fact that he's toughing it out in New York City. But I'm surprised that the Mets are giving him endless chances. NPB teams on the other hand are way too quick to dispose foreign talent. Usually one month of subpar performance is enough for the team to ship the guy back to where ever he came from, while they'd give endless chances to Japanese players. It's ironic that this is never mentioned in the Japanese media.

Is Kaz's contract something the Mets can't get out of? (Likely)

I'm disappointed by his performance, and hope that a change of scenery, within MLB, or back in Japan, would be enough to release him from his current state and back to his Seibu level performance, hopefully. He should wave the 27 team no-trade clause, but I wonder if anyone in the Majors will take him?

Jingu is artificial turf, by the way. And Hiroshima and Koshien, both in the Central League, have dirt infields.

Japan needs more real ballparks. Too bad recent trends have been drab domes. Jingu's the best stadium in the Tokyo region for a lazy night of ball, though.
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: May 24, 2005 7:16 PM | CD Fan ]

30 home runs was nice, but you have to balance that against a whopping .231 batting average and 140 plus strikeouts. And if you look at Floyd's power numbers, they have been decreasing each year. Furthermore, what you fail to take into consideration is that Kazuo is only a second year player in the bigs and these three guys who (by the way make much more than Kaz) have been in the league for years.

I think he'd be fine if he was out of the New York.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: May 24, 2005 11:57 PM ]

Sorry Badteacher. Please justify your comments with statistics and not exagerated assertions. In what way are Cameron's and Floyd's stats "decreasing" given their numbers this year compared to last year?
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: May 25, 2005 10:52 AM ]

- these three guys who (by the way make much more than Kaz)

2005 Salaries:

Kazuo Matsui $7,058,333
ClifF Floyd $6,000,000
Mike Cameron $7,333,333
Mike Piazza $16,071,429

With the exception of Piazza, are these guys making "way more" than Matsui?

Again Badteacher (it would appear by name by nature), please check statistics before making your innacurate assumptions.

All above info was gathered from ESPN's site, search, player profile.
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: May 25, 2005 5:50 PM | CD Fan ]

I have to apologize for the salary assumption. You were right about Cameron making a little more and Floyd making 6.5 million (I thought his contract was much bigger for some reason).

Where you are off, though, is on the stats. I took their performances as Mets. This is from Yahoo Sports:
Floyd 1998 22 home runs 90 RBIs
2000 22 91
2001 31 103
2002 28 79

And as a Met 2003 18 68
2004 18 63
He also missed a large chunk of time in 2003/2004

He's missed 6 of 46 this year, so who knows?

Cameron is being judged on 17 games. Should we assume he's in a Slump because his average dropped from .452 to .355 in about a week and a half (97 points is a lot, right?)

You don't need to take lame little shots either.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 28, 2005 12:13 AM ]

All of this would be non-existant if Kaz were performing. He's not. He is playing lousy baseball. L-O-U-S-Y B-A-S-E-B-A-L-L.

Quit the racist crapola. Comparisons to Jackie Robinson ("send Robinson to the Congo") and Malomar "back to PR"? Did those guys play professional ball there? You are way off base. Same with this hypocritical nonsense. Kaz has not performed over the past two years. This isn't a Floyd mountain/valley or a Doug M. slump. The statement that Kaz "only" has 2 years MLB experience is really a major indictment then of the caliber of NPB play. So what is NPB then, chopped liver?

Get over the fact that this guy can't play better than mediocre baseball at the MLB level, leave it at that and stop making excuses.

Some of you guys ought to take a long look in the mirror before venting your own veiled racism, prejudice, New York, and Met-bashing and hypocricy.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 28, 2005 8:26 AM ]

- This isn't a Floyd mountain/valley or a Doug M. slump.

True, it's not. But when others don't play to their worth they deserve criticism, instead of Kaz recieving it all, and being labeled the Mets' scapegoat, which is pathetic. Remember that a team is an effort of the 25 players on it, not just 1. All of them are subject to criticism, just not Kaz Matsui.

- The statement that Kaz "only" has 2 years MLB experience is really a major indictment then of the caliber of NPB play. So what is NPB then, chopped liver?

This is also a dangerous generalization. Saying that the level of NPB play is "chopped liver" because Kaz has shortcomings has no revelance to this topic at all. It's also wrong to try to generalize all NPB players based on what Kaz Matsui has done in the majors. This is the type of hypocritical statements that have no place in topics like this. This is also a idea that all NPB players will be like Kazuo Matsui.

- Some of you guys ought to take a long look in the mirror before venting your own veiled racism, prejudice, New York, and Met-bashing and hypocricy.

Some Mets fans ought to be more reasonable in their critcisms. Also, to blame Kaz as the Mets' scapegoat is downright pathetic. If I were Kaz, I would call for a trade or return to the NPB away from the hypocritical Mets' crowd. The treatment Kaz has had to deal with is downright sad, and no one should have to deal with this level of cr[ud]. I, at times, think it would be best for Kaz to return to the NPB so he wouldn't have to deal with level of cr[ud] he deals with at Shea, by some of their fans, their biased news media, and others.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 29, 2005 12:45 AM ]

The New York fans and media are perfectly capable of riding anyone who doesn't perform, and they dish it out all around - on Reyes, Piazza, Minky, Zambrano, and others. Kaz is just one of many getting heaped on when they play poorly. When they play well over time, all is forgotten.

My chopped liver comment was made in support of NPB. If someone writes off Kaz's NPB experience, it implies that it is a second rate league. I don't believe that, so I don't buy the argument that Kaz "only" has two years pro baseball experience.

If Kaz went back to Japan, nearly all NY Mets fans would be tickled pink. If he played better, he'd be a stud like the other Matsui who has proved his worth to NY fans and media. The fans in NY and the media are biased only to the extent that they know good and bad baseball. He is, regrettably, failing.

I stand by my final comment in the post.
[ Author: ConditionOakland | Posted: May 28, 2005 2:09 PM | HT Fan ]

I guess it just comes down to that the transition from NPB to MLB is tougher for some than others. Like all the MLB players who went to the NPB and failed.
[ Author: Guest: fan of the great game of baseball | Posted: May 28, 2005 11:25 PM ]

A few comments here. First, I think there's no denying the level of competition is far different between NPB and MLB - better or worse, you decide. But one perhaps might indirectly blame the Mets' front office for the backlash against such players as Kazuo Matsui. Incidentally, not only was Kaz way overpaid based on his skill set (in my humble opinion), but he was mercilessly and unjustifiably hyped by the organization.

Recently the Mets have become a much more professional organization, and realize the importance of allowing acquisitions and/or young players the opportunity to develop without unnecessary or undue pressure and scrutiny. Maybe they're better learning how to protect their players, and teaching them how to adapt, and deflect criticism.

However, it's to be anticipated, in the world's largest media market, where the salaries are proportional, the responsibilities and expectations are just as looming and large. In New York, certainly don't expect to play in a subpar or mediocre manner and still receive a warm reception.

As far as assertions concerning racism, Shea Stadium is situated amongst one of the most ethnically diverse communities in the world. Please - I implore you - find me one town in Japan, or anywhere for that matter, that celebrates and embraces other cultures as much as the town of Flushing.

I'll also let you know, while here, Tsuyoshi Shinjyo was a fan favorite despite his unfortunate downturn as a second term Met. Over the past few years, I've had the pleasure to sit in many parts of Shea Stadium, and have yet to hear the word 'Jap' uttered, although, pretty much everything else has been fair game. :P Call the average Met fan fickle, loud, and perhaps impolite, at times, but they're also an extremely knowledgeable, passionate, generally good-natured bunch, and not at all racist.

I will, however, invite any one of you to a Met game. Sit down amongst any true Met fan, and you're guaranteed to have the time of your life.

By the way, as a first timer, I have really enjoyed my visit, very nice site. I've bookmarked it.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: May 30, 2005 6:05 PM ]

Seems like Kaz isn't the only one who is getting some heat lately. Hideki Matsui is getting some jeers from fans for not hitting a home run lately, and A-Rod is getting more heat for his growing error numbers.

Personally, I'm sick of this generation of baseball fans. The old generation are knowledgeable about the game, but it's the 18-25 age group that I have a problem with. They have no respect for players anymore and only want to see their team win, so they could go to work the next day and brag to their friends.

I also agree that the front office of the Mets organization is to blame. They saw the hype Hideki was getting on the Yankees and they needed some of the spolight. Did they even do research on the guy? He had 21 errors in 2000, 9 errors in 2001 and 2002, then it jumped up to 17. Now take him away and bring him to a new league where he has to change his approach and what do you think would've happened?
[ Author: Guest: VMM | Posted: May 31, 2005 3:04 AM ]

I've been monitoring this thread for a while and just thought I'd drop a few thoughts.

Philadelphia is my hometown and the Phillies are my favorite team in MLB. However, it is well-known that Phillies fans were the most relentlessly racist against Jackie Robinson. I still occasionally hear racism from the fans about players of all ethnicities, and this is not just from younger fans. I distinctly recall two forty year old men - baseball fans keeping the score of the game - berating Ichiro during inter-league play a few years back. I won't go into the specifics, but it was pretty bad and I had to hold my head down in shame, a friend visiting from Japan to my side.

Please don't judge an age group; sports is capable of drawing the worst out of anyone, regardless of age, race, gender, or religion. Especially when alcohol is in the equation. Go to Koshien and listen.

As for Matsui Kazuo, he needs to stick with the Mets until they unload him. He owes them as much as that. He should've known that it would be a [heck] of a transition from Seibu to Shea. He should've asked other former NPB players in MLB, and especially those who played in New York - Yoshii, Nomo, Shinjo, and Irabu. Maybe he did and underestimated the nastiness of Mets fans.

To compare Hideki and Kazuo is a mistake. Hideki was Kyoujin's star player. He can handle the attention and even in his current draught of homers, he will bounce back. Kazuo played for Seibu, which although a popular Pa-League team, can not compare with Yomiuri, or to any MLB team in New York.

If Kaz waves his no-trade clause, the Padres may be a good fit for him. Either there, or go the Taguchi So route and earn his place on the bench in a smaller market. Kaz has the skills to play in MLB; it's about time he proved his critics wrong.
Generation Gap
[ Author: ConditionOakland | Posted: May 31, 2005 8:11 AM | HT Fan ]

I don't think it's so much we want to brag to our friends, but I think we just want them to earn their money. "You're making millions, so play like it." Expectations. I don't feel this way, though.

And I think that every generation as been like this - but maybe it wasn't so widely publicized in the media. You're only fooling yourself if you think people kept high-spirits when players weren't doing well back "in the day," and players didn't get their jeers when they were under-performing. Actaully, it's probably even better now. Also, before this "generation," players weren't breaking the bank like they are now, so definatly that plays into the equation.

Whatever the explanation is, Matsui just has to get through it. He hasn't scapegoated anyone or anything, and that is really admirable. I think he should be traded, so he can get a fresh start in a place where they don't expect him to be Ichiro.
Re: Kaz Comes Back
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Jun 3, 2005 11:20 PM ]

Kaz had a nice double today. The fans may boo him, but they cheered him after the RBIs. The players are 100% behind him. Here's what Mike Cameron, Willie Randolph, and Kaz had to say on the Mets website:
[...] Right fielder Mike Cameron empathized with Matsui after enduring similar struggles while playing for the Chicago White Sox during his second full season in the Majors.

"I talked to him yesterday and I just told him not to get down, don't lose confidence in yourself, because I know what it's like to go through tough times," Cameron said. "To be used to playing every single day and to have somebody take hold of you like this is something you really can't control.

"I just told him, 'Keep working and when your opportunity comes again, just try to thrive on it. You're going to play again. Just allow yourself to go to work and not be stressed out about it. And when you do it just have fun, because it's tough.'"

[...]

"The one thing that you can't do is let your confidence in yourself waver when everyone else maybe is not really sure about the confidence that you have in yourself," Cameron said. "I told him that it was really important that he doesn't forget that he's done a lot of great things over in Japan. He's still the same player; he's just having to go through a little tough time."
Kaz just has to take a deep breath, clear his mind and relax.

Full Article
[ Author: Guest: S Hwang | Posted: Jun 6, 2005 10:32 AM ]

I'm a Mets fan, and a dyed-in-the-wool Brooklynite, and actually like the shabby condition of Shea. But I have to say that I agree that there is a disturbing undercurrent of racism in the way that people disparage Matsui. Watching the second game of the double header tonight on ESPN, I just listened to Joe Brown, the announcer, spout off the most unbelievably racist schpiel about how he didn't believe any of the stats about Japanese players and that the NPB was just a glorified AAA league, blah blah blah. Plus I went to the game against the D-backs on Thursday night and a guy sitting in my section kept screaming about sending Kaz back to Japan.

Please don't make it seem like people are always looking for an excuse to cry racism, because sometimes, sadly, it's the only word to describe a situation. I'm not dissing all Mets fans, or all New Yorkers, because I am both of these things.

The last Met who got this much booing was Roger Cedeno, and I never heard anybody say anything about sending him back to Venezuela, or about how sucky the baseball was in Venezuela. They booed him on the basis of his horrible playing. If that was all Kaz was getting booed about, then I would be more okay with the booing. But it's not. And it is completely unfair that Matsui is the only one getting dumped on, when Wright is leading the team in errors and Reyes isn't far behind. But I am glad that his teammates are behind him and that he's getting a bunch of RBIs (ignoring the pinch-hitting fizzle of the first game tonight, of course).
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Jun 6, 2005 12:45 PM ]

I was watching the Mets' game on ESPN tonight and heard Joe Morgan says something about NPB being like AAA or even AA, in response to Kaz's stats. But, most of us know that Joe Morgan is a shmuck. He commented (comically, though not intended as such) during a camera shot of Omar Minaya, the GM, in the booth with Jeff Wilpon, the owner's son and team COO, that Wilpon was the assistant GM. He might as well be. Joe Morgan is a lousy sportscaster and not such a nice guy. Ignorant about NPB, but then many of you are ignorant of MLB, but I don't think you're racist.

Kaz played pro ball in Japan. Cemento had several years in MLB. Hence, the alleged go back to Japan comments for Kaz and none for Cedeno. They just didn't boo Cedeno, the fans said he stunk, which of course he did. They were merciless. Drove him out of town. Racist buggers, right?

Kaz looked bad today. Ended an end of game rally. One of the few Mets to be ineffective in game two.

I covered the boos before. Wright has lots of errors. He's also 21 and hitting .300. Same for Reyes' .278 BA. Both are making the league minimum $300k. Fans have some patience, though some vent.

Kaz is making $20m over 3 years. He's 29 and a former NPB star. He has never been better than average in MLB. That is why the fans get on him. He isn't a rookie and the learning period is over. Met fans would love for Kaz to play like he did in NPB. He's not. He is pretty bad, and that's why he's getting booed. Telling him to go home to Japan to play ball isn't racism, it's impolite, but good advise.
[ Author: Guest: Gaijin84 | Posted: Jun 7, 2005 1:21 AM ]

The problem is that if you've heard the "fans" yelling "go back to Japan," they aren't doing it to give Kaz advice, albeit impolite. There is a definite racist undertone. I think you're giving these fans too much credit, i.e. believing they are telling him to go back to Japan because he played there before. As I was listening to WFAN this weekend there developed a nasty trend of calls complaining about "Latin Night" at Shea and celebrating other cultures, including Asian, during baseball games. I think these are similar patterns.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Jun 7, 2005 2:51 PM ]

Of course they aren't giving Kaz advice; they just want him out of there. That's a shame, because Kaz is pulling and won't relax if he is to get out of the hole he's dug, with the fans on him. They don't like him because he is playing mediocre baseball and making millions, not that he happens to be Japanese.

Choose to look at the world as you will, then. I don't think the average, thinking fan spends much time calling in to WFAN. If the bozo you hear confirms your prejudice, that suits you fine. Shall I share all the racist slights I experience in Japan every time I visit and assume it is reality among the public in general, or a just a few people of bad upbringing or intellect?

If Kaz played a decent game of baseball, all this would be moot. He'd be cheered by the same "racist" fans.

What epitaphs is the suds sopped salaryman hurling at Gabe Kapler or another failing gaijin these days?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 8, 2005 8:52 AM ]

- [...] they just want him out of there.

Of course they do, and I admire Kaz's ability to keep going despite the crictism by some downright clueless Mets fans.

- They don't like him because he is playing mediocre baseball and making millions, not that he happens to be Japanese.

I mostly agree with this statement, but Mets fans are picky in their discontent with players that don't contribute. What complaints do you hear from Met fans when Glavine, Reyes, Mientkiewicz, Beltran, and Floyd struggle. No, most of the time you hear them make up petty excuses, such as Glavine is a proven veteran, Reyes is a rookie, Mientkiewicz was signed for defense, Beltran is proven (I can't tell this year, even though he's been good, he's hasn't played like a $11.5 million player), and that Floyd's a proven player (while he started out good, he's starting to fall back down).

Yes, I agree that Kaz needs to work on his defense, I even said the same thing last year. But the level of petty criticism Kaz has dealt with at Shea is sad. I think it's best for Kaz to move to another team and drop his 27-team no trade clause or return to the NPB where he won't deal with the petty criticism he deals with at Shea.

- Shall I share all the racist slights I experience in Japan every time I visit and assume it is reality among the public in general, or a just a few people of bad upbringing or intellect?

You're going to hear racist slights everywhere you go in the world. Though as you mentioned it's not the majority, but makes the majority look bad.

- What epitaphs is the suds sopped salaryman hurling at Gabe Kapler or another failing gaijin these days?

The proven, or so-called proven, Gabe Kapler was doing even worse than Kaz is now. Kapler was batting .153 with 3 HR and 6 RBI, and is making $2 million. Quite simply put, Kapler's peformance wasn't even par. [Stats - NPB-BIS]

Also, a lot of the problem with Kaz is the Mets signed him to a high salary. So, before some fans veil their self-righteous comments, remember your front office and Mr. Wilpon signed the ink on Kaz's contract.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Jun 8, 2005 11:06 AM ]

Kaz had 2 hits tonight, so he's battling.

John, you don't know much of what goes on in NY. You should hear the grief heaped on Glavine when he started out poorly. Send him back to Atlanta. He's a Braves spy. All washed up. This is a future Hall of Famer.

Minky gets a bye because he admits he stinks. Beltran is getting grief - and he is performing as he always has.

Reyes, Wright, Cameron all get grief. But when they perform, all is forgotten. Cameron, who fans rode over the winter and who they wanted traded, got a long, standing ovation after he made a lucky catch after tripping. Cameron said it was only the second time in his career any fans did that for him.

That's just the way New York sports is. Watch how the Skankees will be in the doghouse if they keep their poor play up, or The Toast of the Town if they win it all.

Kaz craved that kind of limelight, the make or break environment. He took a chance at the Big Apple. Maybe it's taking a bite out of him, but as the NY great Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't over until it's over."

As far as the Kaz deal, you are absolutely right that the Wilpons did this deal. That's why Kaz is still playing, too much invested. The Wilpons and former GM Steve Phillips have gotten a rasher of you-know-what over the past few years over the signing of such mega disasters like Mo Vaughn and Roberto Alomar. Those deals make the Kaz signing on par with the Yanks stealing Ruth from The Sox for $100k. The Wilpons offered the money and Kaz took it. Responsibility goes all around with that money and the related burden if it appears it doesn't pan out.

Yes, you hear slights all over the world. that's why I object to all these statements about racism against Kaz. If people said "Kapler, go home to America," is that racist, or just astute baseball judgement? He stinks and deserves to be cut. Kaz is nowhere near that level. The final page has yet to be written on Kaz Matsui, New York Met.

Japanese or American fans, many of which are working stiffs, have no patience for millionaire men playing a boys game like a boy. They have to perform for the big bucks. They are paid what they are because they are, in fact, performers. That is not pure, but that is the way it is when baseball becomes a business.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.