Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

CPBL: Bears Release Fan Favorite Todd Betts

Discussion in the CPBL News forum
CPBL: Bears Release Fan Favorite Todd Betts
Welcome to the world of the Chinese Professional Baseball League. One minute you are a star and the next you are packing your bags for the next flight home to North America. Thus was the case with Todd Betts.

Betts was instrumental in helping the La New Bears win the first-half CPBL title. He batted .343 with 3 home runs and 37 RBIs in 49 games before vertebra wounds suffered in June ultimately resulted in his release. The 33 year old left handed hitting Betts is no stranger to moving around having played one season in Japan with the Yakult Swallows.

In his short time in Taiwan Betts became a fan favorite. Before he left the island he held an autograph signing ceremony one last time for 100 fans.

As foreign players come and go the name "Betts" may not ring a bell, but for the few that saw him play they came to know a player who gave it his all on the field.

In this music video [YouTube], viewers will see Betts' accomplishments in his short time in Taiwan.
Comments
Re: CPBL: Bears Release Fan Favorite Todd Betts
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 6, 2006 5:39 AM | CLM Fan ]

That's awful about being released, but I'm happy to hear he was loved in CPBL. I remember him from his Yakult days. Hope he gets to see that video.
Re: CPBL: Bears Release Fan Favorite Todd Betts
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Aug 6, 2006 6:40 PM ]

Although I agree that the CPBL does have that reputation it seems as though at least the La New Bears are trying to change that image. Betts was released after rehabbing his back for almost 2 months. He decided he was not healing and requested to return home to see his doctor.

The LaNew Bears were very professional in the way they handled the situation with Betts unlike the Bulls who released a player two days after he got hurt and told the papers he wanted to go home. The Bears showed their appreciation to Betts in a pre-game ceremony before he left.

The unforgiving rules of CPBL require teams release a player before another player can be added to the roster even in the case of injury to a player. That player can't play again for the rest of the year. And can only return to the same team for the next two years.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.