Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

CPBL English Data Project

Discussion in the CPBL News forum
CPBL English Data Project
Similar to the reasons for starting the KBO English Data Project, Taiwanese baseball stats are hard to come by to the non-Chinese speaking world. In an effort to bring all of Asian baseball together, I would also like to find some volunteers who can transliterate Taiwanese names to Romaji.

Unlike the Korean data, thanks to the work of KT Chiu from TWBaseball.info, I have a great deal of historical Taiwanese baseball data, including data from the former Taiwan Major League. You can download the Open Document Format spreadsheet here. I've added the English language columns I'd like help with to the spreadsheets. (This is the same data that runs TWBaseball.info, so some fields may not have much purpose outside of a web application.) Currently, the Teams, Players, Batting, Pitching, and Salaries tables are included in this spreadsheet. Salaries are monthly in NTD (New Taiwan Dollars).

I will see to it that any contributions to this project go back to Chui-san. Like me, he feels that data like this is best served in the public domain. And I strongly feel that any extensions to his data should rightfully go back to him.

Many foreigners' names are already readable in the Western alphabet, so this data may be used right away by you consumers-only. Please be sure to give credit to Chui-san if you do find the data useful.
Comments
Re: CPBL English Data Project
[ Author: NelsonChung | Posted: Mar 7, 2007 11:34 PM | NIP Fan ]

Two questions:
  1. When you say that extensions to the data should go back to KT, do you mean that we should cite him, or we should send the extensions back to him? I plan on deriving more data from this, and I want to ensure I give credit where due.
  2. Does this data include every player who has ever played? I ask because I want to find league totals for every year, and if the data includes all players, I can sum them up.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 8, 2007 12:18 AM | YBS Fan ]

1. I mean that data should go back to KT. You can either submit your changes to me and I'll pass them on, or you're welcome to write to him directly. Either way, I'd like to see to it that he gets all modifications possible.

As far as giving credit, it's all his work, so please site his web site as the source.

2. I don't know. I'll ask.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 8, 2007 8:12 AM | YBS Fan ]

Follow up on #2.

I've heard back from Chui-san, and yes, the data is complete for both CPBL and TML. The only caveat is that the TML data has not been double checked against official records.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: NelsonChung | Posted: Mar 8, 2007 11:29 PM | NIP Fan ]

Great. Now I don't have to go on the CPBL website and hit the PREV and BACK button after every seven observations. This is really helpful.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.