Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

1931 All-Stars Visit Japan

Discussion in the Pro Yakyu History forum
1931 All-Stars Visit Japan
In my readings about the baseball connections between Japan and the US during the 1930s, I have run into a number of discrepancies in the accounts. Two small discrepancies concern the 1931 all-star trip (not the more famous one in '34). As far as I can determine, this was Lefty O'Doul's first visit to Japan, and led to his employment by Herb Hunter to return the following year with Ted Lyons and Moe Berg to teach baseball to collegians.

The discrepancies: Only John Holway lists Jimmie Foxx among the players in '31, but I have not seen a full roster. I tend to believe Foxx made his only visit in '34. Gehrig, on the other hand, certainly made both trips, though one suspects he might have wished he stayed home with his new bride in '34.

Most accounts credit Yomiuri President Matsutaro Shoriki with sponsorship of both visits, but one account said that the Asahi sponsored the '31 visit. I tend to give more credence to the latter, and believe that Shoriki in '34 was trying to outdo his rival with his coup of getting Babe Ruth to come.

If anyone can shed further light on these points (Foxx and Yomiuri/Asahi), I hope you will share your thoughts.
Comments
Re: 1931 All-Stars Visit Japan
[ Author: Guest: Rob Fitts | Posted: May 10, 2008 10:43 AM ]

No, Foxx was not on the 1931 tour, just '34. Yomiuri sponsored both the '31 and '34 tours.
[ Author: Guest: bob | Posted: Dec 30, 2012 11:19 PM ]

[I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.]

A friend gave me a baseball that has the logo for "6 University League of Tokyo" on it and it is autographed by the 1931 all star team. Mickey Cochran did not sign this ball, and Jimmy Foxx did not sign this baseball either. John Reardon (travel umpire) did sign the ball. I have never seen Foxx on a roster of this team.
[ Author: Guest: rob fitts | Posted: Feb 2, 2013 4:27 AM ]

That's a really nice friend!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.