Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pawapuro Web Gems

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Pawapuro Web Gems
As I'm trying to get back into the Pennant Mode, I've done a few amazing plays in the field with Chiba Lotte. Here is my top 5...

5. Imae making a quick diving grab at the hot corner to barely throw out Ohmura at first.

4. Kohsaka(human highlight reel and my favorite player) throwing to Imae at third by accident on a routine grounder. Imae has a strong arm and throws out the runner at first.

3. Saburo rushing in on a fly ball to shallow right and barely gets to it by diving at the last second.

2. A ball is hit between Kohsaka and Nishioka, but Nishioka makes a huge dive to get to it. He uses his glove to flip it to Kohsaka while still on the ground. Kohsaka throws to first for the 4-6-3 double play.

1. Cliff Brumbaugh blasts one to the right center gap. Benny runs for it, but it looks like the ball is going to hit the wall for a double. The ball gets closer and closer, but he's too far away. The wall is getting close and diving for it could mean injury. He goes for it anyway and makes an amazing diving catch right at the wall.

That #1 was an amazing catch, but the most rewarding catches in the game have to be the running jumping grabs at the wall. The best is when you get knocked out, but still hold onto the ball.

I've yet to rob someone of a homerun. It happens a lot in the majors, but I think it's pretty rare in Japan.
Comments
Re: Pawapuro Web Gems
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 2, 2005 6:28 AM | CLM Fan ]

By the way, when I get a capture card, I'll try to make a video of some of these.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 3, 2005 5:08 AM ]

BigManZam,

Great idea for a thread.

I've had a number of Web Gems that I would've liked to have shared.

Now there's a place for them.

I also love the glove flips to start double plays.

But a few days ago, I made a diving stop of a grounder at 2nd with Softbank's Cabrera. Then Cabrera actually got up on one knee and made a full throw *from one knee* to start the double play.

I had never seen this animation before. Up until then I had only seen guys do the glove flip while still lying on the ground, or stand all the way up before throwing.

And twice, I've come close to turning a triple play.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 6, 2005 2:20 AM ]

Here's something cool that happened in my season. Its not really a "Web Gem," but its still worth sharing I think.

I'm the Hawks and I'm playing the Lions. Its tied 3-3 late in the game. The Lions have the bases loaded with 2 outs.

The Lions batter drives a low liner to center field. I elect to go for the head-first, fully-extended diving grab in order to preserve the tie. Bad idea.

I miss the ball, and it rolls all the way to the wall. The Lions wind up with an INSIDE-THE-PARK GRAND SLAM!
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Sep 6, 2005 3:11 AM ]

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I know what you mean. I been thru that a couple of times myself.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 6, 2005 4:10 AM ]

It was frustrating because the CPU did it to me. But it was also kind of cool to watch.

I like that this sort of play is actually possible in the game. And the way the play unfolded seemed believable/realistic.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 10, 2005 1:41 AM ]

I had a great game against the Lions yesterday. I'm playing a season as the Hawks.

Both Cabrera(2B) and Batista(3B) were amazing in the field.

One play I remember in particular - Batista made a fully-extended backhanded diving grab of a hard grounder down the 3rd base line. He got up and made a strong throw, but his throw was off line. The 1st baseman caught the throw and I managed to move the 1st baseman over to tag the runner out.

This game went 12 innings. I went up 9-7 in the top of 11th, but my closer gave up up 2HRs in the bottom of the 11th. Then the Lions hit a Sayonara HR in the bottom of the 12th. So I lost 10-9. Great game though.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 10, 2005 4:57 AM | CLM Fan ]

I took really bad handheld footage of one of my best web gems yet. I can't remember who hit it, but some Swallows player smacked a high line drive. Nishioka jumped up to catch it, but it bobbled out of his glove. I had the presence of mind to stick with the ball and I caught it for the out.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 2:39 AM ]

Again, I'm playing a season with the Hawks.

In my last win, I brought in my closer in the top of the 8th. I struck out the side in the 8th and struck out the first two batters in the 9th.

(I'm not good with player names because I don't speak much Japanese. But this was the Hawks default designated closer.)

So my closer has faced 5 hitters and he's fanned all 5. Next batter, I throw a first-pitch fastball down and in... and its jacked for a solo HR. Looking back on this pitch, I think I might have become a little overconfident and got sloppy with my aiming. The pitch was down and in, but it could have been MORE down and in.

I got the next hitter to line out meekly to shortstop.

So my closer faced 7 hitters and struck out 5.
[ Author: Guest: shinigami | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 3:10 AM ]

after playing some more batting at powerful CPU...it seems CPU catches down and in, and high up the middle pitches very easily...

played a few games, and 75% of the hits they got were from those two places

players strucks out the most with an up and in fastball, it works great for a lot of players expect the high-ball hitters.

oooh, and low sliders moving from the middle in works great too.

just some pitches i realize that works effectively or very bad against powerful CPU's
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 4:48 AM ]

I noticed that too with Pro Yakyuu. I get the most strikeouts with the fastball up and in or the curveball up and away. NEVER throw a slider low and in unless its a waste pitch and its really out of the box or a curveball low and inside. Matter of fact, don't throw breaking pitches anywhere near the inside part of the box. The CPU are just waiting to hit that out of the park.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 4:41 AM | CLM Fan ]

Not really a web gem, since those are defensive plays.

Anyway, the closer you used was Mise. You should always try to pitch on the outside. Only pitch in if you have an edge. Inside pitches will get jacked a lot.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 4:50 AM ]

Hey Jom, just print out the team your playing with on this site. They have all their names and position and stats. That's how I learned a lot of these players names.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 5:45 AM ]

Sorry. I didn't think it qualified as a Web Gem either but I didn't want to begin a new thread.

I agree with everyone's advice about fastballs and sliders down and in. So far, these have proven to be the riskiest pitches for me.

But I've actually used curveballs down and in quite effectively.

Here are my best "Strike 3" piches:

1) Low Slowball - On either side/edge of the strike zone. This results in CALLED strike 3 more than any other pitch for me. But sometimes its a swinging strike too.

2) High Fastball or High Slider - Again, on either side/edge of the strike zone. These usually result in SWINGING strike 3s.

Remember though, I'm generalizing.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.