Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pawapuro 11 vs. Pawapuro 12

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Pawapuro 11 vs. Pawapuro 12
So just for the heck of it, I decided to go back and play Pawapuro 11 Chou Ketteiban. I had been playing Pawapuro 12 non-stop since its release, and I thought it would be interesting to compare the two games.

Things I liked about Pawapuro 11:

-More high pop-ups behind home plate. I don't see many of these in Pawapuro 12.

-More high choppers in the infield. Again, I don't see many of these in Pawapuro 12. In Pawapuro 11, sometimes the ball will bounce so high that it will go over the infielder for a base hit. (Some guy on the Phillies got this sort of hit last night to continue his hitting streak.)

Things I didn't like about Pawapuro 11:

-**The pitching. This undoubtedly is the biggest improvement in Pawapuro 12.

In Pawapuro 11, as with many earlier versions, you aim your pitches with a mit cursor. This mit cursor looks like the catcher's glove and is much larger than the "pitch cursor" in Pawapuro 12.

I often felt like I wasn't truly aiming or spotting my pitches in Pawapuro 11. I would choose my pitch, try move the middle part of the catcher's glove to where I wanted the ball to go, and then pitch. The problem was, I often got the feeling that the CPU's A.I. had more of say in where my pitch wound up than I did.

For example, I'd throw sinkers high above the strike zone so that they would drop down into the top of the zone for a strike. I'd aim these pitches exactly the same, but these results I'd get were extremely varied.

**The results were so varied that they didn't just seem to reflect my particular pitcher's Control rating. The results really made it feel/seem like the CPU's A.I. was picking my spots for me just to keep the Ball-Strike Ratio and Pitch Count realistic.

I'm all for realistic stats, but NOT if gameplay or human-player control is sacrificed to achieve them.

The CPU pitchers in Pawapuro 11 also seemed to throw many more Balls. But many of these were what I would call "boring Balls." "Boring Balls" are Balls so far out of the strike zone that they are too easy to spot and simply take. There's absolutely no challenge to taking these pitches. And as the CPU throws more of them, they begin to fill the game with "dead air" or "down time."

In Pawapuro 12, by contrast, fewer Balls are truly easy to take. More Balls come much closer to being Strikes. You've got to pay full attention to nearly every pitch. And the few Balls that are easy to take are usually Mistake pitches (where the pitcher has an exclamation mark over his head).

Overall, Pawapuro 12's pitching feels more precise and is just more fun.

-Finally, the CPU's fastballs in Pawapuro 11 almost seemed TOO FAST. This problem was compounded by the fact that my batting cursor seemed to move SLOWER than it does in Pawapuro 12. Because of this, I found it much harder to win a game in Pawapuro 11 - even though I was using the exact same difficulty settings that I use in Pawapuro 12.

I hope someone finds at least some of this interesting and/or helpful.
Comments
Re: Pawapuro 11 vs. Pawapuro 12
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 10:30 AM ]

"(Some guy on the Phillies got this sort of hit last night to continue his hitting streak.)"

Jimmy Rollins got a bad hop single to make it a hit in 28 straight games. He continued it today to 29 straight games.

[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 11:13 AM ]

So, if my main complain about Pawapuro 12 is that pitchers don't throw enough balls to be realistic, Pawapuro 11 might be a good option for me ?
were there interleague games in Pawapuro 11 ?

[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 11:47 AM ]

"were there interleague games in Pawapuro 11 ?"

I don't think so, as interleague play started this year and Pawapuro 11 was sold on July 15, 2004. The Chou Ketteiban version was sold on December 16, 2004. I could be wrong, but the NPB started interleague play this year.

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/pawa/11ket_ps2/
http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/pawa/11_ps2/index.html
http://www.konami.jp/gs/product_date.php?condition=3&before=0&nameturn=11&offset=100&platform=2
http://www.konami.jp/gs/product_date.php?condition=3&before=0&nameturn=11&offset=60&platform=2

[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 12:37 PM ]

John Brooks,

Thanks for the heads up on Jimmy Rollins.

Bullpen45,

When I noticed that the CPU pitchers were throwing more balls, I remembered some of your earlier posts and emails. I said to myself, "That guy in Canada might prefer this version."

**But let me emphasize this again, the CPU's fastballs almost seemed TOO FAST and my batting cursor seemed to move SLOWER than it does in Pawapuro 12.

Overall, I think I still prefer the OVERALL EXPERIENCE of Pawapuro 12. And I believe this is the true measure of progess in video games.

I'll check whether inter-league play is included in Pawapuro 11 Chou Ketteiban. And I'll post my findings later.

Bullpen45, did you see the thread about Pawapuro 11 being on sale at play-asia.com? Play-asia.com is currently selling the Gamecube version of Pawapuro 11 Chou Ketteiban at HALF PRICE, but only while supplies last.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 11:37 PM ]

Thanks, I'll give Pawapuro 11 a shot.
as for the fatsball being too fast and the cursor being slower, I don't really mind , because I like to play as manager-only ( let the CPU take control of the pitching and batting)this way I get steady stats based on the players attributes rather then my ability to hit ( or pitch).
I couldn't do that with Pawapuro 12 , because the CPU pitcher just don't throw enough balls.
Do you think I'll get more realstic games playing manage-only with Pawapuro 11 ?
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 26, 2005 10:47 PM ]

I'm not sure. I never play manage-only.

And I haven't forgotten my earlier post. I'll check whether Pawapuro 11 has interleague play.
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Sep 26, 2005 10:54 PM ]

No, Pawapuro 11 don't have interleague play. Interleague just started in Japanese baseball this year. Pawapuro 11 do,however, have the Pacific league playoffs. Also, Pawapuro 11 don't have the new teams ie: Eagles, Softbank Hawks, and Orix Buffaloes or the new stadiums adjustments.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 29, 2005 7:05 AM ]

Here's another difference I think I've noticed.

In Pawapuro 11, at least on certain difficulty settings, the CPU batters will move around in the batter's box BEFORE you pitch.

Even though this is what my human-controlled batters do before the CPU pitches to me, I don't like the CPU batters doing this.

Because if you see the CPU batter crowding the plate, you jam him inside. If the CPU sets up way off the plate, you pitch outside. Obviously this doesn't work 100% of the time. But the CPU batter moving around before you pitch causes pitching to feel more patterned or repetitive.

In Pawapuro 12, by contrast, I don't see the CPU batters moving around in the box BEFORE I actually pitch. At least this is the case on the difficulty settings I'm using.

I prefer the CPU batters NOT moving before I pitch.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 29, 2005 7:34 AM | CLM Fan ]

They also don't let you see whether the CPU bat cursor is set on power or contact.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 29, 2005 7:35 AM | CLM Fan ]

In Pawapuro 12, that is.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Sep 29, 2005 10:21 PM ]

You know, I think you're right...

I can't believe I never noticed this before.

Good observation.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 2, 2005 11:11 PM ]

Well, I got Pawapuro 11 on friday and been playing it all week-end long ( while the baby was asleep ...of course)
here are my impressions :
-the pitching count is wayyyy more realstic in 11 then it is in the 12 version
-pitchers actually throws balls, and gives-up walks
-personnaly I don't care about the cursor or the mit cursor, as I don't use them ( I find it more realstic to just aim with my analog stick
-the phisics of the balls hits are better in 11 , there is more behind the plate foul balls, and more boucing balls in the infield
-I like the fact that when a player hits the ball the htting/pitching screen lets you take a look much longer at where the ball is hit
-when the fielding level is set to powerfull , I don't have the impression that the players covers the entire field (like in pawapuro 12).

so, so far, I must say that I prefer pawapuro 11 then the 12.
to me , it just seems more realistic.
but then again, it's just me ...(I always had a problem with baseball games where the pitching count is not realstic)

by the way , does anybody know what is the 5th difficulty levels used in pawapuro 11 ? ( there is one more then on the 12 ...there is batting,pitching,running,fielding...and another one ...)
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 3, 2005 1:20 AM | CLM Fan ]

Managing. It covers when the CPU subs out a pitcher and does stuff like pinch running.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 3, 2005 5:42 AM ]

Not that anyone should care, but here's my plan.

I'm going to set up 2 short seasons in League Mode; one in Pawapuro 11 Chou Ketteiban, the other in Pawapuro 12. Each season will only be 5 to 10 games long.

I'll alternate seasons each game. So first I'll play an 11 game, then I'll play a 12 game, then I'll go back to 11, and so on...

After 10 to 20 games of this, I bet I'll know which game I prefer. I'm still leaning towards 12 though.

Bullpen45, glad to hear that you're liking 11 more than you liked 12.

Anyone else have an opinion on 11 vs. 12?

BigManZam, I'm under the impression that you're playing 12. Is this correct? And if so, what are your thoughts on the 11 vs. 12 debate?

Does anyone think that Famitsu was full of it when they gave 12 such a high score? Did anyone actually read the Famitsu review? I'd be interested in the gist of what it said.

[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 3, 2005 9:17 PM ]

In my opinion, Konami would just have to adjust the strikes vs balls thrown ratio, and maybe adjust the fielding (especially the outfielders)and , because of interleague games, updates teams,updates stadiums, Pawapuro 12 would be better then 11...
but for now, I'm having a hard time buying a game where pitchers can get complete game with 70 pitches.
but then again, don't get me wrong, it's still a hell of alot better then any garbage made in America.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 3, 2005 11:42 PM | CLM Fan ]

Who's getting the 70 pitch CG? The computer or you? If it's you, bring up the CPU batting. If it's the computer, adjust the way you approach the game. Take more pitches. I know for a fact that the computer can not get a 70 pitch CG against me on hard level pitching.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 12:41 AM ]

actually both pitchers get about 70 pitches per game...
I have tried to get more pitches, but the CPU pitcher just doesn't throw enough balls for me to take pitches.
as for my pitching, you are right, I should waste some pitches...
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 12:54 AM ]

I agree with BigManZam.

The CPU used to pitch 70-pitch complete games against me, but those games were my fault.

Because I was way too aggresive at the plate. I swung at too many first and second pitches.

The game rewards patience and tends to punish over-eagerness. And I think it feels just about right.

One helpful tip: Look at all of your batters' individual attributes. And frequently swing at first-pitch strikes only with guys who have the special ability to hit first-pitch strikes well.

[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 1:00 AM ]

Occasionallly, I'll still have a game where one or both sides has a strikingly low pitch count. But these games don't happen often, and I think that they add variety.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 2:04 AM ]

do you guys draw any walks ?
if so, how many per game ?
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 2:36 AM ]

I do have games where I don't draw any walks.

But if I had to estimate, I'd say I walk 1 to 3 times per game.

1 to 2 walks per game is more typical. But occasionally I'll get more than this.

And I still swing at too many bad pitches. So some of this is my fault.

[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 3:35 AM ]

really ?...hmm , then maybe I'm still not patient enough.
are you guys still playing with the same settings ?( powerfull for running and fiedling, and hard for pitching and batting)
[ Author: Guest: skinz | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 4:14 AM ]

Can you turn off the strike zone when batting in Pawapuro?

if you can, try taking it off. You can see the ball movement way better and it will let more pitches by. I use to be really bad especially with forkballs. I use to swing thinking its a fastball low but later ground to second from a low forkabll out of the box.

Go the training and practice taking pitches.

here's what I do from the plate:

I NEVER swing at the first pitch. I take it even if its down the middle.

I then pick a spot in the plate to see if the ball is gonna be thrown there. For instance, I will pick away and low and away to swing if the ball goes near there. If the ball is thrown inside, I take it for a ball of strike.

On 0-2, I swing where the ball is thrown. I often get a ball anyway on this count so I don't swing in this count unless its definitely gonna be a strike.
[ Author: Guest: skinz | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 4:16 AM ]

Also, I realize in Pro Yakyuu that if you foul a couple of pitches on 1-2 or 3-2, the CPU will walk you. I don't know if its the same in Pawapuro. Try and see.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 4:18 AM ]

I still play with those same settings.

Your plate patience is probably a factor. But again, Pawapuro 12's CPU pitchers don't seem to throw as many Balls as they do in Pawapuro 11. And more of the Balls they do throw in 12 come closer to the strike zone, so they're tougher to take. At least this is my impression.

But I don't actually Walk that much more in Pawapuro 11, but since the CPU pitchers typically throw more Balls , I tend to go deeper into the count more often. I get more 3-2 (2-3 in Japan!) counts in Pawapuro 11. I'd say I walk A BIT more frequently in Pawapuro 11.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 4:46 AM ]

but it is possible to get walks ?
(I think that in the 30 some games I played, I got something like 2 )
[ Author: Guest: skinz | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 4:56 AM ]

Wow! That's bad. Have you checked the stats? Try to see how much your opponent pitcher walk per game.
[ Author: Guest: skinz | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 4:58 AM ]

Or its possibly you, your probably trying to hit everything in sight. The game reflect how YOU play it.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 6:43 AM ]

Bullpen45,

It IS possible to get walks, even in Pawapuro 12.

I think that walking only twice in 30 games of Pawapuro 12 indicates that you're doing something wrong.

Again, Pawapuro 12 is less ball-friendly and walk-friendly than Pawapuro 11. But 2 in 30 games is just nuts.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 8:06 AM ]

Alright then, thanks , I'll give it another shot tonite.
[ Author: Guest: Shinigami | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 12:04 PM ]

hmm, finally come on the net...after like....errr...few weeks with my broken computer...

just curious...are u sure u're on really hard for CPU batting? Maybe it's bcoz i suck or something...i usually get a pitch count way higher than that...how many points are u giving up to ur opponents if u mind telling me...

try playing with the cursor if u want more realistic pitch count for ur pitching...that way it makes things more realistic, coz u're the one controlling it and not just moving it to the corners in the strike zone...probably a lot more practice will be needed to accurately touch the corners, but that way u get punished right away when u cant command the ball...just like in real life.

I suffered quite a lot with mit cursor on while pitching to my friends...and they basically murdered me...so now i am adjusting to mit cursor off...and i found numbers way more realistic.

post more later, have fun now with 11, play with whatever fits u, the main thing about a game is that it makes u feel fun, so take whatever's good for u XD
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2005 9:07 PM ]

I played 2 games yesterday, and although I didn't get any walks, I did get a higher pitch count from the CPU pitchers. (I'd say about 100 pitches= 70 strikes and 30 balls).
So you guys may be right about the picth count, I must not be patient enough.
My main problem for those 2 games were my pitching.
I lost the first 7-1 ( but allowed 18 hits), and lost the second 9-1 (allowed 24 hits).
I tried being more patient when pitching, try to hit the corners (I only allowed 2 HR's , wich is a good improvement for me).
I think the high number of hits are a combination of my poor offense (wich I'm getting better at though), and the poor Carp's pitchers doens't help either.
So, there is still hope...
[ Author: Guest: Skinz | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 12:09 AM ]

So your playing as the Carps? That explained the whooping the CPU batters gave you. I know all too well about the god awful bullpen the Carps have. I say trade ASAP.
[ Author: Guest: skinz | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 12:12 AM ]

I think the reason your not patient when your pitching is because the Carps pitching staff have suck lousy control, that when you try to make a perfect pitch it becomes a ball. And when you can't afford a ball 4 you go in the middle of the plate for a strike and BAM! a hit and a run scored. Try another team to help you out.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 2:55 AM ]

So far I've played 2 League games in Pawapuro 12 and 1 League game in Pawapuro 11.

Maybe its just because I'm more accustomed to it, or maybe its just personal preference, but I'm still liking Pawapuro 12 more.

In one of my earlier posts, I said that I liked the high infield choppers in Pawapuro 11. And I still do. But after my League game in Pawapuro 11, I'm beginning to think they overdid it just a tad. The CPU played as the Baystars, and the Baystars clean-up hitter hit two of these WEAK high choppers during the game. Other guys hit some too. It just felt like the total number of high choppers and WHO hit them was a little off.

By contrast, you hardly see any of these in Pawapuro 12. If your aim is slightly off with the batting cursor but you're hitting with a powerful hitter, you'll most likely hit a HARD grounder somewhere.

Also in Pawapuro 11, the 1st baseman will sometimes drop the throw to 1st for an E3 on routine infield groundouts. This happens too frequently in Pawapuro 11. But they fixed this in Pawapuro 12. I think I've only seen this happen once in 12, but I've seen it happen about 5 times in 11.

Both versions are great though.

I'm eagerly anticipating the Final Edition in December.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:54 AM ]

A year or two ago I was flipping TV channels and I happened upon a baseball game from the late 80s or early 90s. It was on ESPN Classic and I can't remember the teams.

But what I do remember, what really struck me, was the SIZE of the hitters and how the ball came off of their bats. Most of them looked more like your typical man-on-the-street. And when they swung, it appeared like they were flinging this heavy object (their bat) through the strike zone. And I think I saw many more high infield choppers.

Intuitively, I'm guessing the same sort of hitter that hits more high infield choppers also hits more high pop-outs to the catcher behind home plate. Both kinds of outs stem from SLOWER BAT SPEED.

Compare this to the present-day MLB. Nearly every hitter resembles a body-builder. And when they swing their whittled-down/ultra-light wands, it looks like they're swinging a whiffle ball bat.

I don't watch NPB because I don't have a fast internet conection, but I'd bet that NPB has changed in a similar fashion (though probably to lesser extent) over the last few years.

Hitting has evolved. Or maybe it has just CHANGED.

Those swinging the bats at the highest levels are bigger, stronger, and faster than they've ever been before.

And here's my point:

Pawapuro 11's hitting feels more like those old ESPN Classic games.

Pawapuro 12's hitting feels more like modern-day baseball.

Pawapuro 12's gamemakers dramatically changed the OVERALL FEEL of hitting.

In 12, the Ball-Strike count seems more irrelevant. But in 11, it seems like most GOOD HITS don't come until you've worked the count in your favor.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 6, 2005 6:46 AM ]

I got base hit off a high infield chopper in Pawapuro 12. The ball bounced over the 3rd baseman's head for a hit.

So this sort of hit still happens in 12, just not nearly as often as it does in Pawapuro 11.

Also, I'm beginning to experiment with pitching without the pitch cursor. This is probably how the game should ultimately be played.

All of my pitching stats are realistic except for Walks. I think the game is trying to tell me something.

You need the pitch cursor at first in order to develop a sense/feel for the analogue stick's sensitivity. But once you're comfortable with it, turning it off makes pitching seem more realistic.

I've only played a few games with the pitch cursor off, but I'm liking it so far.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 6, 2005 9:04 PM ]

I still testing both games..but so far I must say that I prefer Pawapuro 11...
Besides from the pitch count being more realstic in my opinion), I like the fact that outfielder just don't seems to be everywhere (in powerfull setting.
I played a game yestarday (playing as the Carp, against the Giants)...in the first inning, Shima ( wich is leading off for me) got a walk...then the pitcher threw a wild pitch that got thrue the catcher (Shima is now at second), and then Larocca hit a bouncing grounder to third that went over the head of the thirdbaseman...1-0 Carp.
I just don't see that many variety in ways to score in Pawapuro 12...
Also, I allow a lot less homeruns in 11 then in 12...
I'm playing a season wich each game...but I must say that so far, Pwapuro 11 might be the best baseball game I ever played.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 7, 2005 3:49 AM ]

I love both games. But I'm still leaning towards Pawapuro 12. I think it comes down to personal preference.

Here are a few other things I've noticed.

Pawapuro 11's post-game replays seem longer and more varied. I think Pawapuro 11 gives you 4 replays, but Pawapuro 12 only gives you 3. I could be wrong about this though.

I'm seeing high choppers and wild pitches/passed balls in both games, but Pawapuro 11 seems to have MORE.

Overall, you're more likely to see strange or unique plays in Pawapuro 11. But I'm not sure that this makes Pawapuro 11 BETTER. Sometimes I get the feeling that wild and crazy stuff happens TOO FREQUENTLY in Pawapuro 11.

In my last Pawapuro 11 game, I was trying to pitch myself out of a jam. The CPU had a man on 3rd with 2 outs. I threw a sinker low and it got away from my catcher. But my catcher still got a piece of the pitch because the ball did not roll all the way to backstop. Instead, it trickled off a few feet to the right. The CPU runner tried to come home, but my catcher just ran over a few feet, picked up the ball, and ran back to home to tag the runner out. Inning over. Now this kind of thing does happen in real life, but it struck me as anti-climactic.

Also, I think you're more likely to have very low-scoring games in Pawapuro 11. This is another change I've noticed in real-life baseball over the last 15 years. 1-0 and 2-1 games just don't seem to happen quite as often as they used to. And I don't see these low final scores nearly as often in Pawapuro 12.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Oct 13, 2005 9:23 AM ]

I hit a really high infield chopper up the middle yesterday. This was in Pawapuro 12.

I hit it off of a great sinker ball pitcher, which seems realistic.

More confirmation that high choppers still exist in Pawapuro 12, they just don't happen nearly as frequently.

If anyone cares...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.