Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

A PYS Newbie's Experience with PYS4 on PS3

Discussion in the Video Games forum
A PYS Newbie's Experience with PYS4 on PS3
Okay, so if you've seen anything else I've written on this board, then you know that PYS4 is the first game of the PYS series that I have had the opportunity to play and that I am playing the PS3 version. I have had the game since Tuesday night, but I've only gotten a few hours of playtime due to the reality that is being a graduate student and a college instructor simultaneously. The full review will have to wait until I've played more of the game, but here are some impressions from people who are either also waiting for the PS3 version or are debating the purchase.

- The game is very friendly to people who don't have any Japanese language knowledge. Each selection mode from the title screen has an English subtitle to let you know exactly what it entails, and a lot of the options function the same way when you go about setting the game to your liking. And if there's no English text, chances are there's a picture or some other visual aid to let you know what you're altering. Certainly, the tutorial and trial modes ask you to do specific tasks fully in Japanese, so there will be some trial and error there, but in the end we're dealing with baseball--an international language in its own right. The most difficult language-related aspect of the game is probably dealing with player names, but that can be helped by just keeping your team's roster page open from this site while you play.

- People who have been playing the MVP, 2k, or The Show in recent years might have some trouble getting used to the batting system. I was in the first batting tutorial where they just ask you to hit five fair balls off of a pitcher only throwing straight fastballs for over ten minutes before I started putting the ball in play. However, once you get over this hump, it really becomes second-nature to use the batting system. Compared to the cross-your-fingers-and-pray style of 2k7's batting, where doing the same thing results in a home run one at-bat and a ground out the next, PYS has a much more common-sense system--as soon as you contact the ball, you can be pretty sure what you're going to end up with.

- Trial mode is unbelievably fun--I actually spent nearly two hours playing through that alone last night. It's broken down into three sections: fielding, running, and then the extra 100-knock. For the fielding, you get put into each position on the field (even pitcher and catcher) and have to field hits of various types with various goals for you as a fielder. There are three levels of fielding, increasing with difficulty each time. For running, you take control of a base runner at one of the bases and have to do things like get a good jump to steal, work the hit and run, or tag up and score on a sac fly. Two levels, again with increasing difficulty. And finally, perhaps most emblematic of the Japanese practice idea, is the 100-knock. This mode puts you in control of the four infielders (1B, 2B, SS, 3B) for literally 100 hits, and the goal is to catch as many of the hits as you can. You don't have to actually throw the batter out or anything like that, you just have to cleanly field the grounder or catch the liner/fly ball before it falls. After one go-through, my high score is 86/100, which was good for quite a few VP points.

- I've played two full games in the exhibition mode, both times as the Chiba Lotte Marines. My first game, against Rakuten, ended in a 1-0 loss on a sacrifice fly they got with the bases loaded after I left my starter in a little too long. My second game, against Orix, ended in a 1-0 win after I got runners on first and second and hit a gapper to right. I also got 10 strikeouts with Shunsuke Watanabe in the second game, the tenth coming with the bases loaded in his last inning of pitching. Intense time. Considering that the approach to run-scoring in PS3 2k7 often comes down to crossing your fingers for the big hitters to come up and hope to hit it just right for a homer, it was nice to see low-scoring, fundamental games. It was also a nice touch when Watanabe and Imae were the "hero interview" subjects at the end of the game, the caption for Watanabe highlighting his 10K performance and the caption for Imae talking about his timely RBI hit.

- The home run derby is a great little deviation, even though maybe it's a little bit too easy when you're using a true home run hitter. I've played as Julio Zuleta in Marines Stadium and actually hit a home run over the scoreboard in center field. A little unbelievable, for certain, but I won't say it didn't feel good.

- For people who don't read Japanese, if you look at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen when going through the main menu modes, it will give you an idea of how long one play of that mode will take. For example, Exhibition games are said to take 40 minutes, while the Home Run mode says 5 minutes. A good way to know what you're getting into before you start.

- In the games I've played so far, the scoreboards in the stadium actually track the game stats and lineups in real-time, which is a major improvement over the some-do, some-don't truth of 2k7. As soon as I saw that the scoreboard on the monster in Fenway for 2k7 doesn't track the score, I was disappointed by the supposed next-generation claim of that title.

- Speaking of the stadiums, the crowds actually look quite good. Flag-waving in the outfield is present, a nice little touch. Perhaps the most impressive thing, however, is that if you look close enough you can see the occasional fan get up from their row to walk down the aisle stairs for the concessions or whatever. A neat little touch.

- I really like the animation of the fielders, coming back to the trial mode. There are some hits that ask you to cover the base as the first baseman to field the throw, or have you play as the shortstop or second baseman on both sides of the double-play ball (both flipping the ball and covering to turn two) which are really put on display in this mode. My next step is to get into MVP mode with a player and see how much fielding you get to do--hopefully more than the ground ball every few innings playing first base in MLB 07 The Show for PS2.

-------------------------------------------------------

It isn't all roses, of course, if you hadn't gathered that from other reactions.

- Although it is really easy to follow the directions to install to the HDD (you just go into utilities and find the option talking about the HDD, hit "X", and wait), the only thing this does is slow down the loading time before you get into the mode you want to play. It doesn't appear to have any effect on any loading within the game itself. This is important because...

- After any cut-scene in the game, the screen goes black for about three to four seconds before getting back to the action. This is tolerable, but of course it isn't a very good thing. Even if you skip the batter walk-up cut-scene, you still face the black screen--even worse, however, is that the commentary is cut off when you skip some of the cut-scenes, causing the game to suddenly go quiet and lose some of the immersion factor of watching a real broadcast.

- There is some slowdown in the game itself, but it hasn't happened to me in a game-breaking form yet. The slowdown typically occurs when you hit it foul to either side because of the fans packed into the stadium, but it doesn't affect gameplay because none of these balls can be played. I have also never experienced slowdown while pitching or batting, though the occasional grounder with runners on base might cause a hiccup. Disappointing, yes, but to the degree of 2k7? Not at all.

- Running the bases can be fairly difficult to do in manual setting at first, which can lead to some frustrating outs. To correct this, for the time being, I've been playing with the "Assisted" setting for running, if only to keep from making bad outs. With some more practice, hopefully I'll get comfortable enough to make the switch back to "Manual" soon.

-------------------------------------------------------

In the end, for me as the owner of an American PS3 lacking the funds to buy a Japanese console, there is a no-brainer situation about how I will be getting my NPB video game fix. It is not a game without flaws, but it is not a game that is game-breaking, fundamentally flawed. I don't doubt that the PS2 version provides a smoother experience, given the familiarity that the programmers have with that system, but the American gamer on a budget (hand thrown enthusiastically up in the air on this one) doesn't really have the option of following up their domestic console purchase with a foreign one. Even though I know more about MLB teams and players and have had MLB 2k7 for nearly a month now, I have already logged more time with PYS4 because it is that much more enjoyable to play. I'm not saying that the PS3 version of PYS4 should be lauded with a gold medal here, I'm just saying that it shouldn't be disqualified on the block either. There is an enjoyable game to be played here, if you come to the game with an understanding that some aspects of the experience must be coped with.

Whew... sorry for the length. Back to my reality which includes a heavy snowstorm here in Maine in the first week of April. Just ridiculous.
Comments
Re: A PYS Newbie's Experience with PYS4 on PS3
[ Author: kwestroc | Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:09 PM | OBs Fan ]

Nice Read Paakaa! Thanks for your impressions. I am getting my game today and can't wait to play!
[ Author: Guest: jimnyc2000 | Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:26 PM ]

Thanks!! Nice review and thanks for the tips for non-japanese readers! Having a hard time with the assortment of pitches..i noticed that the r1 button changes some wording but still confused...it will take time for me but I am enjoying it!!
[ Author: Paakaa10 | Posted: Apr 6, 2007 7:19 AM | CLM Fan ]

I don't know if this supports Japanese characters, but I'll put up some of the more common pitches here and hopefully it will work.

ストレート -- Fastball
カーブ -- Curveball
スライダ -- Slider
シーンカ -- Sinker
SFストレート -- Split-finger Fastball
チェンジ ウップ -- Change-up

I might be off in my Katakana here and there, but these are basically the most common pitches that you'll encounter in the game. My suggestion, if you don't know what a pitch is, is to include it in the three-pitch warmup you get for a pitcher; the ストレート
(fastball) is basically the same for everyone so there's no need to waste a warmup on that, but the other pitches might take interesting movements that you'll want to adjust to before you uncork it in a game situation.

As for the R1 deal--if you see two lines for the pitch direction, that means that the pitcher has two pitches assigned to that direction. Typically, though not always, these pitches are related to one another. I played a game with Hanshin's default pitcher and he has two ストレート for the up-direction but one has a higher rating than the other. If I'm not mistaken, the higher rated version is the one you get when you push R1, and it's a fastball with more movement than the normal version. Again, for this, experimentation is your best friend.

Hope this works, and helps!
[ Author: ken_hanshin | Posted: Apr 6, 2007 12:06 AM | HT Fan ]

very good and detail analysis of the game =)

have you tried the online feature yet?

what is your psn id? maybe we can play some games online
[ Author: Paakaa10 | Posted: Apr 6, 2007 7:22 AM | CLM Fan ]

My PSN name is just like my name here, Paakaa10. I haven't had the opportunity to try out the online feature yet because the connection here at the University of Maine is so poor. A bunch of kids on campus got in trouble with the RIAA for downloading songs on various download services, so the connection has been capped for the past month or so. That said, I would be interested in at least trying in the future. Send me a message and I'll see if I can stay on the PSN long enough to add you.
[ Author: Paakaa10 | Posted: Apr 6, 2007 8:01 AM | CLM Fan ]

Just a little bit more in terms of my experience, I got a chance to try the MVP mode out this afternoon and I was pretty happy with what I saw. The create-a-player mode is obviously quite difficult for non-native speakers of Japanese, and it was hard for me to find any way to even come close to representing myself haha. Indeed, it seems like only Japanese and Chinese can be chosen as nationalities for created players--maybe I need to play around with it a little more.

Aside from that, the mode itself is quite text-heavy but enjoyable in the game. In the field as a position player, you play every defensive out (usually the game fast-forwards to the point where the batter strikes out, walks, or puts the ball in play) and then you see a graphical representation of your teammates' at-bats when you're on offense. When the player directly before you in the lineup comes up, you watch the at-bat from behind and to the left or right of the umpire, as though you were watching from your player's point-of-view from the on-deck circle--neat little touch. Then, of course, you play your own at-bats just like you normally would.

For people who have played MLB The Show 07 for the PS2 and the Road to the Show mode, you'll find yourself quite at home. The ability to play every defensive out in PYS4 is basically the main difference between the two modes, although PYS4 seems to lack the direct "missions" for each at-bat that are present in The Show.

Also, since I chose to create my own player, my batting stunk and I was in the minor leagues. You can also choose to control a player already in the NPB if you want to avoid wallowing in the minors.

All-in-all, a very cool mode, but also quite text-heavy. If you're not very confident in your Japanese, your best bet is to wait for a translation guide or be content to engage in trial-and-error throughout your play time.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 6, 2007 10:29 AM ]

I've JUST had a very extensive playtest. At first you have to learn the controls,simple. Once you get them down then you start noticing the great nuances in the game.

For me the pitching is somewhat reminicent of my "perfered" setup in MLB 2k7 so i am having very good results pitching. the hitting? ehh it's takes some getting used to but when you do it is as rewarding as gettinga goal in winning eleven.

there has to be a translation done sometime because i am having diffculty trying to set up me in game screen . i don't want all those score,and hud stuff on there i wonder if there is a way to get that out?
[ Author: Paakaa10 | Posted: Apr 6, 2007 8:35 PM | CLM Fan ]

The pitching is easy to get used to because of its basic similarities to other pitching games, I'll agree, but it's difficult because it seems--at least to me--that there are quite a few pitchers in the game who don't have very highly-rated pitches. When a guy has a low grade on his fastball and not much better on his other stuff, you know you're in for some trouble.

For me, the toughest part of the game is batting. This game is really teaching me to be disciplined at the plate, which is something I've really never had to do with MLB baseball games. When I played MLB The Show 06 on PS2 last year, I would win games where the other pitcher threw a complete game of 50 pitches or so because all my hits were home runs. Definitely can't get away with that in PYS4. I agree with the analog comparison to scoring a goal in Winning Eleven, because when you finally plate a runner, it does feel like quite the accomplishment. Still so difficult to do--my last game before I went to bed last night was a 0-0 tie after twelve innings between Hanshin (me) and Chunichi (comp). I had runners get as far as third base in the first and second innings but I just couldn't score them.

Definitely a tough game, but at least I feel like my actions actually have an impact on the things that happen in the game, versus the contact ground ball swing somehow producing a deep homer in 2k7.
[ Author: Guest: jimnyc2000 | Posted: Apr 7, 2007 7:40 AM ]

Just wanted to say a big thank you to PAAKAA10 and everyone else!!! Im enjoying the game very much! Hitting is like you all said ..a definite accomplishment if i can get a single!!
[ Author: Paakaa10 | Posted: Apr 7, 2007 8:39 PM | CLM Fan ]

You're very welcome, it's an honor to know that people are getting something out of my long posts haha. I think I came to a breakthrough with my hitting (knock on wood) last night, as I got a string of five singles, a fielder's choice, a double, and a sacrifice fly in succession in one inning. Six runs on six hits haha. Game got interesting when Rakuten came back against my relievers though, causing the game to end in a 6-5 win. Definitely a game that always keeps you excited.
[ Author: rolen_it_up | Posted: Apr 7, 2007 7:46 AM ]

I just got the game today, and I am also a PYS first timer.

I'm having an amazing time thus far, though I can't make heads or tails of the menus (I do not understand Japanese at all).

My biggest challenge during my first exhibition was figuring out how to sub pitchers.

I did it eventually, though I don't know how or if you are supposed to warm them up.

I'm anxious for a full translation guide so that I can dive into some of the deeper parts of the game.
[ Author: Paakaa10 | Posted: Apr 7, 2007 8:36 PM | CLM Fan ]

I've taken two years of formal Japanese and actually been to Japan by myself twice (heading back this year at the end of May), and I still have trouble reading the language. Kanji is the hardest written language to learn for someone starting with a Roman alphabet, I'm quite certain.

The selection on the pause screen for changing your pitcher, as you found, is リリーフ, which is the Katakana spelling for the loanword "Relief". As far as I can tell, you do not need to warm up a pitcher using standard options--the pitchers you bring in on a whim certainly don't labor with their pitches or come in at low stamina. I'm still trying to work with the options and other things in the game to gain a fuller understanding of what can and can't be done.

Be sure to look at BigManZam's topic for a lot of helpful translations and hints for how to get the most out of the game for non-Japanese speakers. I'm actually thinking of doing my own translation guide of the tutorial and trial modes, if that wouldn't be stepping on the BigManZam's toes.

Mod: Please do it. I'm pretty busy with other things.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 8, 2007 12:36 PM ]

I need ps3 user settings help

other than that the games made me buya ps39was borrowing a friends to try the game and if i did/didn't like it it would of gone on Ebay)
[ Author: Guest: jimnyc2000 | Posted: Apr 8, 2007 12:54 PM ]

This may be basic to some of you but...if you create a game for you against comp...5th and 6th box down is "replay" and "demo"....if i disable demo..the cut scenes seem to go away and makes the game alot better...
also in roster screen the pitchers are pink...catcher is blue...infielders are orange (1 line is 1st baseman..2 lines is second baseman and so on...) outfielder is green..
i am guessing starters have an "S" "C" for closer and the rest are relievers but not sure? Please correct me if I am wrong on this..the little I get every day makes this game more and more fun for me! Traded in my 2k7!!
[ Author: tigermask72 | Posted: Apr 10, 2007 12:37 PM | SL Fan ]

Yes, I agree that turning cut scenes to "rarely" makes the game a lot smoother, but I hit a big homer and didn't get to see the cut scene, and that took away from it a little, it just went out of the ballpark, and here comes the next hitter...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.