Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

PL League Standings?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
PL League Standings?
Lotte and Nippon Ham have the same W/L record. Lotte has a better score difference than Nippon Ham as in scored more runs scored while giving up less runs. Yet Nippon Ham is ahead of Lotte. Why is that?
Comments
Re: PL League Standings?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 19, 2008 9:21 AM | YBS Fan ]

Score difference doesn't matter. I believe that a single game tie breaker was discussed in past seasons when the #3 spot was very close. But I'm not 100% sure.

I'll relay the news if it's ever covered in the newspaper. But the scenario doesn't seem to have officials or the press worried quite yet.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 19, 2008 9:30 AM | YBS Fan ]

Sorry, it doesn't look like I answered the question. I still had this question on my mind.

I don't know if this is officially a rule or not, but my observations over the years has suggested that when two teams are equal in wins and losses (and winning percentage), that the next sort key is their standings from the year before - not this season's ties, runs (scored, allowed, or difference), batting average, ERA, etc. I recall some strange ordering happening at the beginning of the season as well, and this algorithm explains it.
[ Author: Guest: Number 26 | Posted: Sep 19, 2008 8:24 PM ]

Thank you for the reply Westbay-san.

I was watching the Lotte vs. Rakuten game on Yahoo! today and I heard the announcers there say that if it is even between Lotte and Nippon Ham then they will look at the games played between the 2 sides. At this point Nippon Ham and Lotte have played 22 games and both teams have won 11 each. After that they will look at the previous year's standings.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Sep 21, 2008 10:57 AM ]

You'd think that head to head record would be the first tie breaker if teams have identical records at the end of the season. But I see that the Fighters and Marines are 11-11 right now with 2 games remaining (not that it matters?).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.