Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Mets to sign Komiyama

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Mets to sign Komiyama
A newspaper here in NY is reporting the Mets have signed Komiyama as a reliever. The deal would be announced late this week.

Just wondering if "westbay" or anyone else has better info or the price and longevity of the contract
Comments
Re: Mets to sign Komiyama
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 28, 2001 11:57 PM | YBS Fan ]

No, that's news to me! Up until now I knew that New York had expressed an interest, but that was it. What I've read in Nikkan Sports is that the Mets' initial offer was the same that they gave Shinjyo, the league minimum (perhaps with incentives), which the veteran Komiyama didn't sound like he approved of.

Well, I should be getting my morning newspaper in the door in a few more hours, then it'll be a couple more before a wake up. I'll reserve further comment until then.

Oh, and there was an odd thing about waiting for something in the paper. This thread a couple of days ago mentioned the Giants' new uniforms. But Nikkan Sports showed new Seibu Lions' uniforms the next day - no new Giants' jerseys. Did I miss something?
Re: Mets to sign Komiyama
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 29, 2001 12:28 AM | HT Fan ]

A newspaper here in NY is reporting the Mets have signed Komiyama as a reliever.

Which newspaper is that? I can't find any mention of that in either the NY Times or the Post. Is the article online?
Rumor Confirmed
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 29, 2001 7:22 AM | YBS Fan ]

Today's (11/29) Nikkan Sports is reporting just what you did, that the Mets are signing him and that it will be announced later this week. However, they do give a few more details.

The reported price appears to be $200,000 with a possible $900,000 worth of incentives for two years. This is similar to what New York offered him when he moved to the BayStars. But at 36 years old, he feels more comfortable with this offer now.

Shinjyo has offered to help Komiyama out in his adjustment.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.