Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Active Roster Player Limit

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Active Roster Player Limit
Hey folks, quick question. Does the Japanese League utilize a 25 man roster as the MLB or do they use a bigger number? Thanks in advance!
Comments
Re: Japanese Active Roster Player Limit
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 3, 2003 8:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

I thought the number was 20 that could be used in a given game, with a few more than that on the active 1-gun (pronounced like "ee-chee goon", meaning the top team) roster, but that number may well be 25. I'm not sure. I think that the maximum reserves (2-gun - "knee goon") is about 40 players, as most teams have around 60 players on their yearly rosters. At the end of the season, a team may protect up to 40 players.

The biggest difference in this part of baseball between Japan and North America is that the Japanese farm system is used as a reserve to the top team. It's where they send veterans to re-tune their skills, the injurred to recuperate, and hopefully hone the skills of up and rising stars. Moving players between the two levels is pretty free (although, like the DL rules in MLB, there are certain periods in which a player must wait before being allowed to return to the top team).

Wish I had something a little more sure to say.
Re: Japanese Active Roster Player Limit
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Nov 4, 2003 2:37 AM ]

This thread should answer your question.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.