Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Where's JJ?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Where's JJ?
Has Jason Johnson been taken off the roster for the rest of the season?
Comments
Re: Where's JJ?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Aug 6, 2007 8:00 PM | HAN Fan ]

Jason Johnson was dropped down to ni-gun after his Rakuten game.
[ Author: Guest: closer | Posted: Aug 7, 2007 4:07 AM ]

Christopher,

I missed that game. Did he do poorly or something? How long will he be in the minors do you think?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Aug 7, 2007 10:46 AM | HAN Fan ]

He went 4.1 innings and gave up 5 runs on 5 hits with 4 walks. (Rakuten won.) I don't know how long he's likely to be in the minors though.
[ Author: Guest: A Friend | Posted: Aug 22, 2007 2:27 AM ]

Jason is having elbow problems again. The team moved him down to the minors to rehab.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Aug 23, 2007 6:16 AM | SFT Fan ]

Japan Baseball Daily says that Johnson will be released after the year. Johnson has failed to adapt well to NPB, which has been mentioned a lot on these forums, and has a lot of elbow problems.
[ Author: Guest: Reds fan | Posted: Aug 23, 2007 2:23 PM ]

I knew he wouldn't do well in Japan. I read his blog and he blames his bad attitude on everything else around him. He's not reflective and this is one reason why he didn't have success.

Does anyone know if he'll go back and play in the Bigs?
[ Author: Guest: Fred | Posted: Sep 10, 2007 10:18 AM ]

Can anyone tell me what's up with Jason? Is he pitching for the Lions or is he still in the minors?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Sep 11, 2007 12:11 AM | SFT Fan ]

Johnson [NPB-BIS - in Japanese] is still in ni-gun. He's not likely to be back up with the parent team as he's already out of the Lions' future plans for reasons I already listed above.

He is 1-4 with a 4.35 ERA in 7 games for the Goodwill Lions.
[ Author: Guest: JJs Wild Pitch | Posted: Sep 16, 2007 12:25 AM ]

Can you tell me where you found his blog? I'd be interested in reading it.

Thanks.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 16, 2007 9:18 AM | YBS Fan ]

His blog is here. However, he hasn't updated it since he got his first (and only) win back on July 11. But then, he was sent to the farm team on July 26 with pain in his elbow after being tagged with losses to Rakuten on July 17 and 25. There really isn't much to write about being on the farm. And I think that after being heavily criticized for his enjoyment of Roppongi that he's not about to write on that topic any more.

Please keep in mind that just because he was unable to adjust to Japan doesn't mean he can't make it in North America. (And they say New York is tough. )

I sincerely hope that Johnson is able to put this season behind him and go on next season.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Sep 16, 2007 10:50 AM | SFT Fan ]

This is a classic case of a guy who most likely underestimated the difficulty of playing in Japan. For every Tuffy Rhodes or CJ Nitkowski, you get about 2 or 3 Jason Johnsons.

Concerning Johnson's elbow, I think Tommy John surgery is on the horizon for him. It's been bothering him all year, and for MLB pitchers, this usually means that they have to sacrifice a year of their careers to not only undergo Tommy John surgery, but also rehab from it.
[ Author: Guest: T | Posted: Sep 26, 2007 8:53 AM ]

Where do you get that Jason might have Tommy John surgery? I know that his elbow is feeling a lot better and he is getting the rest he needs going into the off season. He should be ready to make a good run at a Major League team.
[ Author: Guest: A.S. | Posted: Sep 28, 2007 4:47 PM ]

We have a piece on JJ and his blog relevant to this discussion up at East Windup Chronicle. The story is producing an active comments section.

Thanks.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Sep 29, 2007 3:39 AM ]

Well I have read your little article on Jason and I find it a piece of cr**. You don't know Jason and you are only writing on what you read. Sure, I don't agree with the way he wrote his blog. On the other hand, it is his opinion and only his. Maybe you should talk to him personally and get to know him and then maybe it would change your mind a little.
[ Author: Guest: MLBFan | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 7:30 PM ]

Hmmmm, actually I have met Jason and would have to agree with the majority of comments on his poor attitude. I found him to be very self-absorbed and so it didn't surprise me that he failed to even try to make the best of it in Japan. What didn't surprise me was his love for Roppongi and women. What an idiot, man!

And as far as being diabetic, so what! There are a lot of people in the entertainment field who have disabilities and are out there making a difference. Jason pretends to be among these noble people, but he's just a fake, a fraud. If he ever plays again in the bigs, he'll do it an injustice.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 10:41 PM ]

Well, I read the article and although JJ obviously wasn't a shining example of how to adjust to life in Japan, I also think the piece was overly harsh. It seemed to just take every little thing he said out of context to bash him. The story about buying a yogurt drink instead of milk is a simple story of growing pains that all new gaijin go through here. Who hasn't accidentally bought ika ringu instead of onion rings and hated Japan for a few hours?

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of the guy, but this article makes him out to be a Japan basher when he was just going through typical culture shock.
[ Author: Guest: REDSOX#1 | Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:43 AM ]

I am curious where you met Jason at, MLBfan. I believe the reason that Jason is a diabetic was brought up was that he cannot drink, the alcohol would have a bad affect on him. I think that Jason is married, so the love of women might be wrong. I might be mistaken.
[ Author: Guest: Married????!!!! | Posted: Oct 5, 2007 12:42 PM ]

Actually, if you read his blog, Jason says his interests are "meeting people, especially women." Uh yeah, if I was his wife I'd be kind of p-ed off. What is he, 12 years old? Grow up. I've never been a fan of the guy, but I think he was just simply trying to salvage his career by going to Japan. Too bad he didn't embrace what could've been a great experience.
[ Author: Guest: Babe Ruth | Posted: Oct 8, 2007 1:11 PM ]

Very good article in East Windup Chronical about Jason Johnson. I've never been a fan of the guy and thought it was a strange move for the Japanese to bring him over. I knew he wouldn't be successful there because he seems like the kind of guy who is just out for himself and isn't smart enough to go and learn about any other culture and how they live. He's Jason Johnson, after all, he says and does whatever he wants when he wants 'cause he's the man. Well, I think the rest of us on planet Earth know the truth about this guy, he's just a try hard, a guy trying to imitate a real athlete! Time to throw in the towel dude!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.