Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fanball Article: The New Talent Pool

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Fanball Article: The New Talent Pool
I saw this article on my My Yahoo page, and went to check it out on it's original site, Fanball.com:

http://www.fanball.com/web/bb/content/feature.cfc?ID=26996

It centers on the signing of Ishii, but, IMHO, does a very good, very basic job of explaining the posting system and running down the list of Japanese players who made the jump to the majors. (Although Mitchell-san did miss Milwaukee's Nomura, and started to get off-track with players from other Asian nations.)

The article ends with a teaser for the reader... although I've never heard of this Hideki "Mastui"

I'm still a rookie regarding learning about Pro Yakyu, but I wanted to know what others thought about this article.

~Kilika
Comments
Re: Fanball Article: The New Talent Pool
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 11, 2002 1:40 PM | YBS Fan ]

That one was a very good article, confusion about the posting sytem aside. Very refreshing after yet another Doom and Gloom one on another thread.

The main focus appears to be information for MLB fantasy baseball prospects. Perhaps somebody should point out this thread to Mitchell-san in regards to sizing up tallent crossing over from JPB to MLB.

On a technical note, I failed to see any relationship between the article and the topics listed on the forum with the same "topic~feature" ID. Is their forum software broken? Or are the features and forum unrelated?

(By the way, if you find anything broken here, I do hope you'll submit a note to let me know. Lots of changes are happening right now, and I may have missed something.)
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Feb 11, 2002 3:05 PM ]

It's a good article, but he made some major errors about the posting system. First of all, it has nothing to do with free agents; they sign where they will; that's the whole point of being a free agent. And Major League Baseball doesn't "post" anything, the team of the player in question "posts" him. (Come to think of it, who came up with the name "posting system"? It seems rather odd...)

Anyway, I'll send him an email letting him know of his errors, but I doubt anything will come of it...
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 14, 2002 11:09 AM ]

Most work visas issued by the Japanese government to resident foreigners are called "posting visas". The idea is that one is posted to Japan by one's firm or other employer (US Foreign Service officers are "posted" to their overseas locations). J-Ball has borrowed this term to refer to Japanese players moving to MLB under the new system.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.